Keep improving the brushes

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
NickA

Keep improving the brushes

Post by NickA »

Maybe this doesn't need to be said, but I think it's important to keep some focus on continually improving TVP's brushes. I actually quite like the brushes in many ways, but it would be great if there was more (to represent a greater variety of natural and digital media), they responded better to the input interface(in my case a cintiq) and became even more sophisticated to act even more like their natural media counterpart.

I've noticed that the reduce pressure response with the ink tool works better in artrage than in TVP on my cintiq (I can get better tapered lines). I accept that this is probably more of a hardware issue, but it seems like they've done something extra to address it from a software point of view.

Id be interested in hearing more specific ideas for improving the brushes if anyone else has them.

Or do you guys think that the brush tools are as good enough and not worth the effort of improving them at the cost of other features?
Fabrice

Re: Keep improving the brushes

Post by Fabrice »

I can get better tapered lines
Please post a screenshot, it's interesting.
it would be great if there was more (to represent a greater variety of natural and digital media)
They are a lot in the Creation Pack :
http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/artic ... hp?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or do you guys think that the brush tools are as good enough and not worth the effort of improving them at the cost of other features?
No, no, brushes will be improved. :)
Fabrice Debarge
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Fabrice wrote:No, no, brushes will be improved. :)
That will make me a very happy animator :)
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
NickA

Post by NickA »

Great to hear that brushes will be improved :D

I tested line width pressure in both programs but I think I gave Artrage too much credit. Both programs seem to respond fairly similarly to reduced pressure on my Cintiq 12WX. I think it may have just been in my head.

Anyway here are two screenshots of me attempting to taper on and off smoothly in both programs (going from left to right). It's harder to consistently taper off (than on) smoothly with the cintiq. Of course every line is different so its not much of a objective comparision.
Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 12.53.16 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 12.53.26 PM (2).png
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

In fact, the "problem" comes from wacom's driver on mac : when drawing with the stylus, some "points" are not take in consideration, so the line is a little more "linear". If you combine this with the smooth feature, you obtain "brutal" smooth, like the example you show.

That problem also exist on Corel Painter and Photoshop (but not with artrage, I don't know why).

We already reported that bug to Wacom, but well, nothing changed.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

How much have you experimented tweaking Wacom's Tip Feel in conjunction with the PenBrush's Profile Editor? The variations can become maddening at times; fun at other times. So the conclusion I had long ago arrived at is that the most overriding factor is (as you have also noticed) what's in my head at the moment; weather I had dinner yet or not yet, if I have my black or brown sweater on and weather I have a dog on my lap. Basically what this comes down to is that I keep my Wacom software and Profile editor on most of the time so that I can select my settings along any of the above lines.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
NickA

Post by NickA »

Hi Elodie

I don't think I left TVP's (ort artrage's) smooth on for those screens, I made another TVP un-smoothed screenshot just to be shure.

It didn't cross my mind that that the mac driver could be the issue. Does the windows driver work better in that regard? Lets hope they address the issue soon or (at least eventually).

I often spend time tweaking the wacom and profile editor Paul. Like you said, It can change a lot depending on my mood or the kind of line I'm going for, although I haven't experienced and sweater related effects (maybe red sweaters make the lines go faster :wink:).
Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 2.24.13 PM (2).png