Question About Multi-Plane Camera

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Bullet_Train

Question About Multi-Plane Camera

Post by Bullet_Train »

Hello out there. Im a tvp user from the states. Im using tvp to do an animation im working on for school, and im having trouble keeping my character in place. Ill give you the context... im using the multi plane camera to make a still walk cycle with 2 layers of background and one layer of or forground panning horizontally behind and in front of him respectively. The two background and one forground layer are all still images made to duplicate horizonally (with the tile function), and the character is a 24 frame in place walk cycle. But whenever i try and pan the background the character pans with them and i cant figure it out. The character and all the layers of bground and fground are referenced by seperate planes, all at the correct "z" value according to there depth. So the question is, how do you make one plane stay still while panning/moving the other planes? Help?
PS i did an animation for the poetry foundation using entirely tvp 8. check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKnLhPyJk5U
Peter Wassink

Re: Question About Multi-Plane Camera

Post by Peter Wassink »

as your walkcycle is a 'moonwalk' type.
the simplest solution in this case would be to only animate the plane with the walkcycle (do it under the planes tab). make sure its speed is constant and fits with the speed the character is supposed to move
now you only have to animate the camera so its following the character.
animating the camera can be done under the view tab.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Bullet_Train

Post by Bullet_Train »

what do you mean only animate the plane with the walk cycle? if i have multiple planes set up, how do you only animate one of them? and how am i supposed to animate the camera to follow the character when the character isnt moving? im sorry im still confused
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

as you can find in the multiplane interface each plane can be individually animated using keyframes.
in the planes tab select the plane with your walk, for this plane click on the [c] button behind 'position' to create a keyframe.
you key a position on the first frame of your animation and another position on the last frame.
it will probably take some trial and error to make sure the character is not moonwalking.
when the walk plane is properly keyed, you only need to do the camera.
The other planes are static background and foreground elements (if i understood you correct)
now if you also animate the camera to follow the character, the multiplane effect will cause the different background elements to move past the camera in different speeds in relation to their distance to the camera. the good news is you don't have to do anything for this to happen, the multiplane camera takes care of it.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM