crash help! part 2

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
hisko

crash help! part 2

Post by hisko »

Hi,

I'm working on a scene that is approx. 8000 x 5000 pixels big and contains 10 layers. While trying to save it it got stuck at 4%.
Is there any trick to make tvp save the other 96%?
Hervé
Site Admin

Re: crash help! part 2

Post by Hervé »

Close all your opened projects, reduce the cache size and undo size to the minimum, close all unused windows, pick a small custom brush, set the proxy to realtime...
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
hisko

Post by hisko »

Thanks. But it is still stuck on 4%, so I can't do anything in tvp itself.
hisko

Post by hisko »

O.k. I'll remember for the next time. But now I have to move on so I'm closing the whole thing now.
TVP normally is very reliable. It would be nice though to have some sort of warning before a thing like this can happen, because I couldn't save anything now.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I usually avoid to work with such big projects,mainly because my G5 PPC isn't the fastest machine. If I need to, maybe because I have to zoom into a scene with lots of movement, I start with the big BG, then crop it to several smaller projects where I animate. After all these are finished, I export each as a PNG sequence, then import it onto the original BG. Thus I reduce the time working in the big project to a minimum.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
hisko

Post by hisko »

Yes, that's the wise thing to do. I'll export all aniumations that were already done in seperate smaller scenes, and then composite them in after effects.
Still, the strange thing is that I have 4 gigabyte of working memory, but still tvp crashes at 800 mb????

Maybe it's a Windowsproblem, does anyone know?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

My own experience with big projects in TVP is much better. Even a file of 7 GB was no problem to work with, aside from the expected long saving times.

I did experience crashes, however, quite regularly if I had an extraordinary large brush in use, like a complete BG which I wanted to position easily. That's why I do most BG movements in Anime Studio now: much faster for my improvising kind of workflow, easier to change things. Sometimes I test a movement in AS first, then re-do it in TVP for the finished version.
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

slowtiger wrote:I did experience crashes, however, quite regularly if I had an extraordinary large brush in use, like a complete BG which I wanted to position easily. That's why I do most BG movements in Anime Studio now: much faster for my improvising kind of workflow, easier to change things. Sometimes I test a movement in AS first, then re-do it in TVP for the finished version.
I'm intrigued. What's your workflow (if you don't mind sharing)?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Drawing big stuff in TVP, exporting as PNG (with alpha if needed), import into AS, play around. You should give it a try, right now the standard version of AS is only 30 $.

I've noticed that AS isn't slowed down by pics in bigger dimensions (greater than 1000 x 2000 px) as much as TVP (on my machine). Other advantages for my workflow are:
- better overview of assets bigger than project because they aren't cut off
- immediate replay (instead of applying FX keyframer or multiplane to several frames and waiting for the rendering)
- greater flexibility because nothing is rendered, I can always change stuff
- orbit view of multiplane setups
- smaller files, again because nothing is rendered

It's just a different concept, but it has advantages in some areas. AS is a pretty restricted set of functions, it can't do frame by frame or any decent drawing, and I have several issues with the UI, but for doing cutout style animation and multiple layer pans I say it's faster than anything else I know. I will continue to use it, it's like having one additional precision screwdriver (AS) in an already well-equipped toolbox (TVP).
hisko

Post by hisko »

I used MOHO (Anime Studio) for a MTV-ident that I made 3 years ago. Nice program. My brother just made an entire cut-out film with it, which shall be released in april. It's called Magic Show.
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Thanks for the details.
I was quite interested in AS at the time (actually Moho time) because I was compelled by the idea of making fulsome imagery and then animating rather easily. As well, I liked it's nicely rendered "boiling" effect on vector strokes and paths. It offers quite a lot in the way of non-rendering. But I kind of left it there when I found myself veering to experimenting with bones too much and therefore things started losing soul (for me). But still I think it is the 2nd most appealing animation program out there for me. After Affects has the puppet tool for 2 versions now, which is a great way of setting up and animating any image, or set of layers, but I can't stand the slowness of AE. I'm just hoping that TVP will soon have a similar way of distorting/animating bitmap. That will be the perfect addition to frame by frame.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, I use both TVP and AS, and I follow discussions about missing features in both support forums a lot. My opinion is to optimise the functions which are already there and optimise the UI is enough, but the developers shouldn't add features which just don't belong into a certain program. I don't see any program as the holy solution to all my programs. Each program is just a tool. Some tools are mightier (like TVP), some are more specialized (like AS), and all have their place in my workflow.