"multiply"-like layer option

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Niwi

"multiply"-like layer option

Post by Niwi »

I have a black on white movie I wish to overlay on a background layer and color on another. Can't find the option to make the layer "multiply" though.
Hope this option isn't strictly limited to the "professional" version or I'll have to redraw a LOT of frames, ;___;
slowtiger

Re: "multiply"-like layer option

Post by slowtiger »

In the "Pro" version the layer modes are just unter the percentage slider for the opacity, by default you see "Color".

However, you may still be able to apply the "multiply" mode - I just guess you can do that in the standard version because this was the only way to do this in Mirage ...

First create a copy of your project. Then collapse all layers. Select and drag the layer you want to set to multiply and drag it over the layer you want it to multiply with. A "Merge Layers" window appears and lets you choose a mode for the operation. The bottom layer now should contain both layers merged into one.

You may want to experiment a bit with the settings, I recommend you create a small test project with just one frame and two layers, duplicate that file several times, and test the workflow.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Niwi

Post by Niwi »

That way I still can't color my lineart.
This seams like a really important & basic option to leave out of an animationprogram. -_-;;
Gonna have to look for a alternative for this part of the workflow now since I can't afford the professional version. ;__;
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Niwi,

Can't you use the Color > Scan Cleaner FX on the Black and White Movie ?
Fabrice Debarge
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hm, you could try a different way. How about drawing with colour on the b/w layer, brush set to "darken"?

There's several options to colour line art.
- Line art drawn in TVP: layer is transparent, colouring with brush set to "behind"
- Scanned line art, white parts removed with Scan cleaner: same as above
- Scanned line art with white parts: colouring on a separate layer, this layer set to multiply
- or, if that's not possible: colouring directly on that layer with brush set to "darken".

You may need to duplicate the b/w layer to have a "spare" image in case you need to correct stuff.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Niwi

Post by Niwi »

Fabrice wrote:Hi Niwi,

Can't you use the Color > Scan Cleaner FX on the Black and White Movie ?
That worke perfectly! My faith in TVP is restored. :D Thanks guys.