Scanning Directly into TVPAINT

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Tantalus wrote:You can achieve good results using the two point stabilisation FX

but it would be good to offer a more automated method, because it requires a few steps like aplying the pixeltracker and this can get quite technical for the novice users

Yes. I'm aware of using the Two-Point Stabilization in FX panel to align peg-holes , but I was wondering if this
"Peg Hole Recognition and Alignment" feature listed on
the Feature Comparison sheet is something new that I had overlooked previously ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Sewie

Scanning Animation in TV Paint

Post by Sewie »

Hello Everybody,

I'm new here. I have been lurking around for some time trying to find out if TV Paint is for me. I love the program, though. And I especially love the way it's design seems to be oriented toward animators (as opposed to graphic designers).

At the moment I'm fiddling around with the Demo version of TVP-9 and I have one question..:

Is it possible to scan a sequence of animation (done on paper) directly into TVP without having to restart the scanner after every scan ? Because now the scanner closes after every scan (I use; TWAIN >ACQUIRE). It would be great if there was a way to scan a whole batch of paper animation and have every new scan on a new frame in the timeline...

I have checked my scanner software and there doesn't seem to be an option (that works) for keeping it going after every scan...
Last edited by Sewie on 21 Aug 2008, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
D.T. Nethery

Re: Scanning Animation in TV Paint

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Sewie wrote: Is it possible to scan a sequence of animation (done on paper) directly into TVP without having to restart the scanner after every scan ? Because now the scanner closes after every scan (I use; TWAIN >ACQUIRE). It would be great if there was a way to scan a whole batch of paper animation and have every new scan on a new frame in the timeline...

I have checked my scanner software and there doesn't seem to be an option (that works) for keeping it going after every scan...

Hi, Sewie,

Are you using an Epson Scan interface on a Mac computer ? I have run into the same issue using my Epson Expression 10000XL . This is a known issue , but I don't know if any progress has been made to fix the problem.

See discussion about it earlier in this thread : http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ner#p11500
ZigOtto

Re: Scanning Animation in TV Paint

Post by ZigOtto »

Sewie wrote:... It would be great if there was a way to scan a whole batch of paper animation and have every new scan on a new frame in the timeline...
have you select the Twain / Append to CurrentLayer option ?
Sewie wrote:... I have checked my scanner software and there doesn't seem to be an option (that works) for keeping it going after every scan...
have you an autofeeder option with your scanner ? what hardware/software do you run exactly ?
Sewie

Re: Scanning Directly into TVPAINT

Post by Sewie »

Hello DT and ZigOtto,

I am using a HP scanjet 8200 and the Twain software that I downloaded from the HP-website for this type of scanner. No autofeeder, I am manually changing the animation paper. And I have "append to current layer" ticked on in the "File > Twain" pulldown menu.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
hisko

Post by hisko »

Hey Michael!!
Welkom hier.
Ik weet geen oplossing voor je scanprobleem helaas, want ik werk bijna 100% digitaal nu..
Heb je toevallig gekeken naar mijn plaatjes op de topic 'watercolor and artwork'. Ik las op het stripforum eens dat je de brushes van tvp te digitaal vond, en dat was ook zo, maar dat komt nu absoluut verandering in.
Hoe gaat het met je film? En opdrachten? En met de rest van het leven?
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Yo Hisko !

You mean this page : http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 9126#19126 ?
Yes amazing ! Another reason for me to get more excited about using TVP !

(Ik doe maar even Engels, want dan zijn we nog te volgen door de rest van het forum.)
D.T. Nethery

Re:

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Has this problem with the Epson scanner interface and TVP been addressed and resolved ?

D.T. Nethery wrote:
ematecki wrote:I'm investigating !

I guess they use a non-standard but often used by digital camera tag for rotation in the image data.

I'll keep you informed.

EM.
Thanks for investigating, EM .

To review see the attached screen grabs using TVPaint to Acquire from Epson 10000XL scanner.

1.) I choose TVPaint File menu --- ICA --- Acquire--- Append to Current Layer . (no screen grab for this)

2.) The scanner interface which opens is different than the standard Epson 10000XL interface and the image is on Vertical orientation. (see screen grab below)

3.) the only available tools for rotating the image orientation are Rotate Left and Rotate Right in the toolbar.
I rotate the image Right to correct the image orientation to Horizontal. Then I click on Scan button, but when it appears in TVPaint the image has reverted back to Vertical orientation.

4.) I'm including a screen grab of the usual Epson 10000XL scanner interface that comes up for use with other applications (other than TVPaint) .
D.T. Nethery

Re: Re:

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Checking in again:

Has the problem with the Epson scanner interface ever been fixed?

Related question:

Is there a list of recommended scanners that are known to work well with TVP ?

The reason I ask is that I have students who are using TVP , but not all of them want to use it in tablet mode. Some prefer to draw on paper first , then scan the drawings in for finishing in TVP.
But if there are some scanners that are known to work better than others with TVP I'd like to have that list so I can give it to students.

The Epson scanner brand is popular in the U.S. , so I feel that the problem with the Epson scanner interface not being accessible through TVP is something that either needs to be fixed or
I need to tell students that TVP does not work with Epson . Then the inevitable reply is : "Ok, so which scanners do work with TVP?"

D.T. Nethery wrote:Has this problem with the Epson scanner interface and TVP been addressed and resolved ?

D.T. Nethery wrote:
ematecki wrote:I'm investigating !

I guess they use a non-standard but often used by digital camera tag for rotation in the image data.

I'll keep you informed.

EM.
Thanks for investigating, EM .

To review see the attached screen grabs using TVPaint to Acquire from Epson 10000XL scanner.

1.) I choose TVPaint File menu --- ICA --- Acquire--- Append to Current Layer . (no screen grab for this)

2.) The scanner interface which opens is different than the standard Epson 10000XL interface and the image is on Vertical orientation. (see screen grab below)

3.) the only available tools for rotating the image orientation are Rotate Left and Rotate Right in the toolbar.
I rotate the image Right to correct the image orientation to Horizontal. Then I click on Scan button, but when it appears in TVPaint the image has reverted back to Vertical orientation.

4.) I'm including a screen grab of the usual Epson 10000XL scanner interface that comes up for use with other applications (other than TVPaint) .
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi David,

I have no news about this issue, I will check and post our answer asap.
Fabrice Debarge