Dpx support

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Dpx support

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

No one seemed to be able to explain this, or I should say, explain why there were no differences between the two PNG files.

The one in Vegas is a third party script made not just for Vegas but other NLEs. I don't even remember where I got it from and who made it, since it was shareware and someone had posted its location on the DPI users forum. It gives no settings options so I have no idea whether it is truly uncompressed, or if it is, by how much. I'd think it has to have some kind of compression if it comes out one quarter of the size of TVP's.

From TVP I simply exported as a Sequence and reset the compression from the default 5 to 1, which came to the same size as TARGA with its compression deselected. The Vegas rendering time was about the same so that would indicate no compression as well -- so why is the Vegas file so much smaller; who knows?

All 3 of the the technician's guesses were unanimous, which was that the 2D animation imagery isn't as demanding as live action and since PNG is designed for 2D like imagery (generally flat colors) it has much latitude in the final results. They were of the opinion that if they were to test the 2 PNGs with live action footage, there would be clear differences in quality.

Otherwise I exported all the tests the same way; created a folder on my HD and exported by using numbers, starting with "name-0000.png" (or .dpx, .tga)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we also tested a comparison between 720p and 1080p in film mode and there is a recognizable loss in quality, seen mostly in the edges of black lines, in 720p.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet