Multiple resolutions in project timeline

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
TVPUSER

Multiple resolutions in project timeline

Post by TVPUSER »

I'm wondering if it is possible for us to have multiple resolutions in the project timeline, It could be helpful for more organized storyboarding with different required shapes for camera movement.
It can also simplify some FX stack processes that refference seperate files/images and allow us to have everything tied up inside of a single project file.

Is this possible, any thoughts?
TVPaint 11.7 Pro 64, Windows 10 Home
i7-8700k, 48GB, RTX 2080 8G, Cintiq Pro 24 (3840x2160)
Léo
Site Admin

Re: Multiple resolutions in project timeline

Post by Léo »

Hello,

Unfortunatelly with the actual engine, all your Clips (different Timelines) have the same resolution. I advise you to create a project with camera with a lot of secured zone on your canvas (File > New Project... > New Project with Camera)
It will allow you to define a ratio bigger and reate camra movement. We think about the possibility to have multiple resolutions in a same project, but it will be in a new future version later.
project with camera.png
project with camera.png (15.15 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3
D.T. Nethery

Re: Multiple resolutions in project timeline

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I would suggest the same as Leo mentions above about creating projects with Camera View at standard output (1920 x 1080 or whatever you prefer) with extra border area (200% - 300%) so you have plenty of room to move the camera vertically or horizontally.
TVPUSER wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 01:17 It can also simplify some FX stack processes that reference seperate files/images and allow us to have everything tied up inside of a single project file.
Your idea for different resolutions of clips in the same project is a good idea , but for now the workaround for me is using the Image Library . I can decide on my final output resolution (1920 x 1080 or 2048 x 1152 or 4086 x 2304 , whatever it may be) then I can have various Overlay , Underlay , and Background images (created either in TVPaint or in other apps such as Photoshop) that are at higher resolution of of 5k or 6k , 8k which may be used as source layers by the KeyFramer or Multiplane camera which are resized to be composed within the frame of the chosen output (1920 x 1080 or whatever). To me, the big improvement that still needs to happen with the Image Library is to introduced folders which will store image sequences, so we could have sequences of animation at extra high resolution which are stored as PNG or TGA or TIFF image sequences in folders in the Image Library, to be used as source layers for the KeyFramer or Multiplane camera. This would be to keep everything contained within a single project file , rather than the project needing to reference other TVP projects for animation sequences that are used as elements composited within a KeyFramer or Multiplane set up.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1