FAUX FIXE

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
toonybrain

FAUX FIXE

Post by toonybrain »

:?: I read in the User Guide about Faux Fixe. I believe I get the concept - in the "old days" we would redraw a cel so that the repeat would move ever so slightly and give the animation life. If this is what Faux Fixe provides, then it must be a wonderful timesaver.

The Faux Fixe explanation in the Guide is very short, and I can't find a clear explanation in the forum.

Could someone explain how to use this tool? Please break it down into steps so that I can understand it and apply the information.

Thank you.
Elodie

Re: FAUX FIXE

Post by Elodie »

Did you read the new explanation from the appendix ? the Faux-fixe changed a little between TVP Animation 9 and 9.5

Kind regards,
Elodie
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

Thanks, Elodie. I think I get it now. I will give it a try. :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'm with you here - I didn't get the concept until just recently. But now I use it every day.

Let's say you're planning an animation like this:
some action - a cycle of 3 drawings, repeated for 2 seconds - some other action.

The timeline with all drawings looks like this:
a - b - c - d - e - c1 - c2 - c3 - f - g - h ...

Now you extend the exposure of the last cycle drawing until you've filled those 2 seconds:
a - b - c - d - e - c1 - c2 - c3 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - f - g - h ...

Go the the first frame after the cycle, right-click and set the faux-fix to 3. A small "3" will appear in that frame.
a - b - c - d - e - c1 - c2 - c3 - 3 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - f - g - h ...

When you now step through the timeline, it will behave as if you've filled that long exposure part with cycle drawings:
a - b - c - d - e - c1 - c2 - c3 - c1 - c2 - c3 - c1 - c2 - c3 - c1 - c2 - c3 - c1 - c2 - c3 - c1 - c2 - f - g - h ...

Works great. Remember to set that value to frames, not number of drawings, so you can easily repeat any pattern of exposures.

The nice thing is that I can always change the position in time of the last part without erasing or copying cycle frames, just by changing the length of that exposure. And if I change something in the cycle drawings, it will be immediately visible in each occurance.

To erase a faux-fix go into it and set it to "0".
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

SlowTiger, you're responses are always so thorough and precise. Thank you for that.

Well, I got it! And I must say this Faux Fixe is the best thing since sliced bread, duct tape, and velcro. What a shortcut for work that had been so time intensive. I'm trying to get a project done and my time is so limited; THIS IS BRILLIANT!

God bless.
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

I use TV Paint 8.5 Pro. So I don;t have Faux Fixe.

If anyone has time, could you post some kind of video showing this Faux Fixe feature?

Thanks
Chris
Last edited by Gochris1 on 17 Apr 2011, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I'm not sure if that version had it. When you right click on top of a layer, do you see Faux Fixe listed?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

No, no... I meant, since I have TV Paint Pro 8.5, I DON'T have Faux Fixe.

So if anyone can post a video that shows this feature in action, I'd love to see it.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Gochris1 wrote:No, no... I meant, since I have TV Paint Pro 8.5, I DON'T have Faux Fixe.

So if anyone can post a video that shows this feature in action, I'd love to see it.
gochris1 there is not much to see, the feature works as slowtiger explained. all you see in the timeline is a thin white line with a number but in your project you'll see the repeat as if the frames were there.
as usefull as this feature is (i use it very often) i'm afraid in a video it would be rather unspectacular.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

Thanks, Peter.
BinaryD00D

Post by BinaryD00D »

was this removed in TVP 11.7.1 ? I no longer have to option to faux-fix/repeat frames
Léo
Site Admin

Post by Léo »

Hello BinaryD00D,
The Faux-fixe / Repeat Image is always her in the 11.7.1, you just have to do a right-clic on the second exposure of the instance where the Faux-fixe will happen and choose Exposure > Repeat Images > Set the Repeat Images Value...
-
Capture d’écran 2023-07-27 084008.png
Capture d’écran 2023-07-27 084008.png (27.97 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

BinaryD00D wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 16:09 was this removed in TVP 11.7.1 ? I no longer have to option to faux-fix/repeat frames
As Leo mentions in the previous post , "Faux Fixe" is now named "Repeat Images" . It is covered in one of the video tutorials on TVPaint's YouTube Channel:

https://youtu.be/2oTe3JzMy6s?t=10

And a little bit of information in the User Guide , but I suggest watching the video.

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... eat-images

--------

TVPaint Support: About this video on YouTube - https://youtu.be/2oTe3JzMy6s?t=10

This tutorial explaining Repeat Images (or "Faux Fixe") is very helpful, but the video does not show up in YouTube search for either TVPaint Repeat Images or TVPaint Faux Fixe. The video description says:

- discover, understand and master "Still images"
- discover, understand and master “Increase / Decrease Layer Length”
- discover, understand and master “Animator Stroke” (with CTRL key)
- discover, understand and master “Start Frame”

but the description does not mention "Repeat Images" (or "Faux Fixe"), so many users looking for this information may pass by this video without watching it .
Instead of discover, understand and master "Still images" should it say: discover, understand and master "Repeat Images". ?

I think the video description needs to be updated to clearly mention the Repeat Images function . The description should also probably mention that Repeat Images was formerly known as "Faux Fixe" in older versions of TVPaint. (this is mentioned briefly in the video that Repeat Images was formerly called Faux Fixe , but it is not clear in the video description to anyone searching for a tutorial on how to use Repeat Images or Faux Fixe.)
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 12.21.25 PM.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

Hello!

Good catch! I agree this prevents users from finding the video indeed. I have updated the description of this video tutorial, thank you :)