Lock an assigned color to all strokes on a layer

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
TVPUSER

Lock an assigned color to all strokes on a layer

Post by TVPUSER »

Many animators I know like to have their color separation lines (shadow/hi-light/etc) on separate layers. My peers use clip studio paint and I can't help but watch in envy as they have the ability to have each cel expand into separate layers that have locked colors (black,red,green,blue...)

Is it possible for us to have an ability to assign a fixed color to a layer?

Right now the only way to somewhat mimick what cap has is to use something like the tv_matrix command but we always have to execute it which is really inconvenient..

The benefit of locking the color to a layer is that you can easily switch between layers and you'll never mistakenly put the wrong colored stroke on another layer (it has happened too often to me).

This is a pie in the sky idea but, I think having some sort of instance mirroring could be cool too. Like having the ability to have 3 layers and grouping then to Mimic any change to the instance number/breaks. This is already possible in tvpaint but we don't have an automatic/multi layer approach..
TVPaint 11.7 Pro 64, Windows 10 Home
i7-8700k, 48GB, RTX 2080 8G, Cintiq Pro 24 (3840x2160)
Peter Wassink

Re: Lock an assigned color to all strokes on a layer

Post by Peter Wassink »

I think you should be able to create a custom panel with custombrushes that will do this.
so say: if you select the blue toolbrush it will jump to the "blue" layer. (either "blue" as a name (layer ID) or perhaps a layergroup)

But i don't think it can be done without some scripting,
something like: "Goto layer named "blue" but unfortunately i can't help you with that

edit:

there doesn't seem to be a "GOTO layer" command. (here: https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... ayergetpos)
so maybe you have to write code that checks the layer(name) to see if it is blue then goes down one layer checks again etc... until it finds the right one.

just guessing that this is how it could work, but i don't now how to write that.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Aside from it being impractical for those of us who don't do George-scripting in TVPaint , the proliferation of dozens (or hundreds!) of custom scripts to accomplish tasks like this can become burdensome.

I think what TVPUSER is asking for is to have this feature built-in to TVPaint , similar to the feature in Clip Studio Paint which have locked color layers. I think that would be a feature worth adding, so let me add my +1 to the request.

Krita also has a similar feature.
Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 11.54.54 AM.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

I agree!

although i'm a veteran user i still won't be able to count the number of times i start on the wrong layer!
an easy system to limit colors to a specific layer would be an invaluable improvement for tvpaint.

it could either be combined with the sketchpanel or with the layer presets manager.
a function that could be called something like: "Activate Layer Colorforcing"

I am curious though... what is the most desirable way this should work...and how does it work in other software?
What if you have two layers set to the same color?
Should the function be triggered by a specific RGB value of the A-color?
So that when you pick that color, you automaticly jump to that layer?

Or is it the other way around...
if you are on that specific layer your A color gets changed into the corresponding RGB value?

This would be really great to have!
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM