TVpaint 11 not automatically saving anymore (after I import video file) Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Platform_Rex

TVpaint 11 not automatically saving anymore (after I import video file)

Post by Platform_Rex »

Hi
when I hit 'Ctrl s' to save I get the 'save as' popup. Also my project wont automatically save anymore. Also when I open up TVPaint it doesn't remember to open my last saved project even though I have that option selected in the startup preferences.
All this used to work correctly until recently so I don't know what I've done to start getting behavior. Is this a known bug?
Last edited by Platform_Rex on 29 Jun 2022, 13:22, edited 3 times in total.
Dean
Site Admin

Re: TVpaint 11 not automatically saving anymore

Post by Dean »

Hello, what is your OS, TVPaint version and edition please?
So the issue appeared overnight?
Did you install any major operating system update or TVPaint update recently?
Probably a vampire
Platform_Rex

Post by Platform_Rex »

Windows 10 and TVPaint 11 Pro (11.0.9-64bit). The issue had appeared recently. So I saved as a new project to see if that helped but it didnt and since then it doenst auto save or save. only allows me to 'save as' and overwrite the file.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, could you try updating to current version 11.5.3 and see if the issue persists, please?
Probably a vampire
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Platform_Rex wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 19:27 Windows 10 and TVPaint 11 Pro (11.0.9-64bit). The issue had appeared recently. So I saved as a new project to see if that helped but it didnt and since then it doenst auto save or save. only allows me to 'save as' and overwrite the file.
If you haven't touched your TVPaint, we haven't either. So I'd think to something that is not related to TVPaint.

Do you have the permissions to write the project file you want to save ? what if you save a copy in your personal folder, are you able to do a "save as" afterwards ?
How are the file permissions, isn't there a read-only attribute ?
Platform_Rex

Post by Platform_Rex »

I have all the permissions to save on Windows 10. What i've noticed is if I create a completely new TVP project then it saves correctly and creates backups and opens up at startup etc. If I 'save as' my original project with a different name on different drive the same problem persists. I'm not too kean to upgrade to 11.5.3 as I'm in the middle of a project. Would this mean I'd loose the dongle etc?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Don't worry, 11.5.3 exists as well for dongle licenses :)
Platform_Rex wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:35If I 'save as' my original project with a different name on different drive the same problem persists.
This is very interesting, can you describe this different drive for us, please? Is it a server for instance?
Probably a vampire
Platform_Rex

Post by Platform_Rex »

I think i have solved the problem. The only changes to my workflow have been I sometimes work on a separate scene on my ipad using Rough Animator. Then I export that rough video file from the ipad and import it into to TVP and use as a guide and cleanup in TVP. Then I usually delete that imported layer. However, on this occasion the imported layer was still in my TVPaint project.
As a test today, I deleted only this imported layer, and now the TVP project is able to save and create backups as it should. I've also noticed if I merge the imported layer with another layer (not imported) then I can keep the imported images without having to delete the imported layer. So it's some bug at affects 'save' functionality when I import a video file from an external source. I should also say the external video was a different size (same aspect) so TVP upscaled it so maybe its this? Anyway, I thought I'd let you all know.