Android : Use Touch for Canvas Zoom Only

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
spyderheart

Android : Use Touch for Canvas Zoom Only

Post by spyderheart »

By "zoom" of course I mean pan, rotate, and scale...

Personally, moving the canvas is the only thing I can see myself using touch for in TVPaint. I'd be interested to know what else other people use touch for or whether there is anything else that benefits from touch gestures in TVPaint.

Would it be possible in a future version to have the option of "use touch for canvas zoom only"? It is is basically the same as "stylus only" mode but it makes an exception for touch gestures for canvas manipulation. This way the app doesn't need to sort out the ambiguity of whether a touch was meant to draw or to move the canvas (it would just always mean move the canvas). It would also mean that the worst that could happen from an accidental touch would be to move the canvas in some way - which is usually no big deal even when undetected.

It could also be great to apply the same principle to the timeline: If touch is used - either scroll or zoom timeline, depending on gesture. For example:
- Two finger move -> scroll/pan timeline
- Two finger pinch -> zoom timeline
- One finger move -> move cursor/ scrub frames

I guess the general idea here is to thoughtfully allow touch for specific functions in TVPaint instead of globally enabling or disabling it.
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
Xavier

Re: Android : Use Touch for Canvas Zoom Only

Post by Xavier »

Sorry for the late answer ! There's a button at the bottom right that you can use for zooming.

TVPaint is not an actual nor recent Android app, so I'm not sure if it's worth doing the effort ...
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Sorry for the late answer ! There's a button at the bottom right that you can use for zooming.
Thanks Xavier. I already use a custom panel with buttons that map to the various zoom functions - which I find much easier to use than the controls you're referring to. Of course I could also just use a keyboard as well but I'm interested in getting it working nicely without one.
TVPaint is not an actual nor recent Android app, so I'm not sure if it's worth doing the effort ...
I know my topic heading says "Android:" but touch is relevant for Tablet PC's and many Wacom devices, and of course iPad if you decide to go that direction - so my suggestion can be seen as a general way to get the most out of touch interactions while maintaining that solid feel of the software by blocking unwanted interactions. Totally understand that it's not high priority though - I'm just one guy who thinks it would be awesome ;).

I guess I'm also a little unclear about the android app and its status. With devices like the Tab S7 family the android app has become a suddenly very exciting area for me, as I'm sure for others... maybe even a selling point for some.
Is there an intention to make TVPaint - Android into something more robust or is it more of an "as is" offering?

Much appreciated either way!
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

spyderheart wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 17:07 I know my topic heading says "Android:" but touch is relevant for Tablet PC's and many Wacom devices, and of course iPad if you decide to go that direction - so my suggestion can be seen as a general way to get the most out of touch interactions while maintaining that solid feel of the software by blocking unwanted interactions. Totally understand that it's not high priority though - I'm just one guy who thinks it would be awesome ;).

I guess I'm also a little unclear about the android app and its status. With devices like the Tab S7 family the android app has become a suddenly very exciting area for me, as I'm sure for others... maybe even a selling point for some.
Is there an intention to make TVPaint - Android into something more robust or is it more of an "as is" offering?
You get a point : touch screens are not just Android devices. Yet the management of gestures may always be platform specific, as it will depend on the platform SDK.