TVPaint 11.5 upgrade questions Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Sewie

TVPaint 11.5 upgrade questions

Post by Sewie »

As a long time TVPaint user I have dongle and a licence for TVP 11.

With the TVP 11.5 dongleless system will I be able to switch from having my licence on the dongle to the 'webdepot' ?'

If so, how do I do that?
And will I ever need my dongle after that or can I just throw it away?
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Dean
Site Admin

Re: TVPaint 11.5 upgrade questions

Post by Dean »

Hello Sewie,

Migrations between the old dongle system and WIBU licenses will be progressive, currently we are doing it for users who have compatibility issues with the Safenet system (for instance, with older dongle models).

We will open migrations to more users in the future, these will be available in exchange for returning the dongle to us so it can be recycled.
Probably a vampire
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Thank you, Dean.
That's good to know.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
hellofilms

Post by hellofilms »

Dean wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 13:18 Hello Sewie,

Migrations between the old dongle system and WIBU licenses will be progressive, currently we are doing it for users who have compatibility issues with the Safenet system (for instance, with older dongle models).

We will open migrations to more users in the future, these will be available in exchange for returning the dongle to us so it can be recycled.
How would I know that my dongle will not conflict with the new version. So I don´t happen to be without a functional version when updating?
/ Mattias
Windows 11 - TVpaint 11.7.1(dec 5 2022) pro - Wacom cintique 24 Pro
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Currently, compatibility issues are mainly occuring on MacOS Big Sur. However if you use another OS and end up with an unusable TVPaint we have solutions ;)
Probably a vampire
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

I'm not sure if I got this right: Since I'm using a version with dongle I will someday be able to use it without it (maybe not?) but currently nothing changes for me? If the plan is to make TVPaint dongle free for everyone is there a rough estimate when this will happen?
It would be nice if you could write a bit more than
If you already have version 11, the version 11.5 update is available freely in your user account.
on the website. So that existing users know what is planned.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

On the long term, the goal is of course to have as many preexisting TVPaint users go dongleless as possible, though some of them want to keep it. We cannot don't have an estimate on this, especially during the current year, which has its way of shambling everyone's plans.
We have comunicated about the release of 11.5 on our social media, but for the website we want to keep warning users about the transition to Big Sur for a bit longer. A homepage post for the release of 11.5 will eventually be added.
Probably a vampire
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Thank you for the reply Dean.
Unfortunately I couldn't find some information about how the new licensing system works. Could I only install it on one computer or does it check online how many instances of TVPaint are online? All I know is that it works without dongle.
And sure you can't say for sure. But is your plan to convert the licensing in roughly two months or two years?
On the long term, the goal is of course to have as many preexisting TVPaint users go dongleless as possible
This here sounds like not everyone could use the new system, which would be pretty odd
INSTAGRAM
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

The way to use the new system is detailed in the documentation: https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... l-register though this page is still being updated based on user feedback.

An annex regarding how to relocate your license from machine to machine (just like you would unplug a dongle) will soon be added.

The migration won't be done in a couple of months, that's for sure. As we said earlier, right now the priority is allowing user who encounter compatibility issues with Safenet to keep working.
"On the long term, the goal is of course to have as many preexisting TVPaint users go dongleless as possible"

This here sounds like not everyone could use the new system, which would be pretty odd
As I said, not every user will want to get rid of the dongle. It is quite appreciated in Japan, for instance. But any license can be converted to the dongleless system.
Probably a vampire
deruji

Post by deruji »

I also would like to know more, especially since I use Linux Manjaro KDE and a Mac.

1) Are drivers necessary and will they be actively supported for Mac and Linux i.e. future proof?
2) What happens if the machine I use TVpaint on is stolen or breaks down? Can I deactivate the old machine and reactivate on another one? Or is it similar to the dongle that I'd be screwed and have to buy another license?
The traditional 2D animator working with local and international artists.
You can help support my work to make traditional animation, here.
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

So now there is a way to use the software without the dongle, but it will take a year (even longer?) if exisiting customers could use it. I know you need to handle customers first which can't use the safenet drivers, which makes sense, but it seems new customers can choose straight away?
INSTAGRAM
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

New customers can choose straight away because, in these times of covid, it is easier to make fully dematerialised sales (NOT having to ship any physical stuff).
It's not meant as a privilege, just down to earth pragmatism.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

deruji wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 19:48 1) Are drivers necessary and will they be actively supported for Mac and Linux i.e. future proof?
2) What happens if the machine I use TVpaint on is stolen or breaks down? Can I deactivate the old machine and reactivate on another one? Or is it similar to the dongle that I'd be screwed and have to buy another license?
1) They are, one thing that pushed us to accelerate the transition (aside from the pandemic situation) was the fact that Safenet seem to have given up on their drivers for some time now, despite our requests, no update has been provided.
2) The new system is a lot more flexible. If your license gets lost (which includes theft, your machine burning down, etc) we can generate a new one quickly.

Regarding new purchases, customers obtain a dematerialized license by default, WIBU dongles will be made available but these are more expensive because they are even more durable and allow access to more features.
But they are interesting mainly for big school labs/studios.
Probably a vampire
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Is there something like a waiting list in which existing users can ask for a dongle free license? And how fast can you switch computers with the new system? So lets say I'm working on one computer in the office, but needs to switch to another does it work to quickly upload the license and download it on the other computer to switch back and forth?
INSTAGRAM
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

There is currently no waiting list.

Regarding the dehosting/rehosting of a license, both operations take a few seconds, plus the travel time between the 2 computers :P Documentation about this process will be available today.
Probably a vampire