Unable to 'save as,' bug

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
my1ironlung

Unable to 'save as,' bug

Post by my1ironlung »

Hi, I recently opened up an auto saved file, and then tried to 'save as' a normal project, and after i press 'Save,' the save dialog would freeze and go blank for about 30 seconds, then revert to same saving window as if I had not pressed anything. Eventually I had to force quit. This happened to a co worker as well, when she was trying to save a project that the size of the canvas was modified.
specs:
mac OS catalina, 10.15.5
tvapaint v11.0.8
Mac Pro from 2014,
Padruig

Re: Unable to 'save as,' bug

Post by Padruig »

I had this happen to me twice. I created a post about it here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13405

The developers looked into it, but couldn’t recreate the issue. I am using a Mac as well. Hopefully, the problem can be found. I haven’t had it happen for while but nervous it will occur again.
my1ironlung

Post by my1ironlung »

Ah ok, sounds like the consensus is to remove the preferences/config file so that it can be rewritten fresh.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

my1ironlung wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 03:55 Ah ok, sounds like the consensus is to remove the preferences/config file so that it can be rewritten fresh.
Well, this could help when we don't know what's happening
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

my1ironlung wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 03:03 This happened to a co worker as well, when she was trying to save a project that the size of the canvas was modified.
Looks like a hint for a bug !

But what happens if you just "save" the file, without using the "save as" dialog ?
Are you able to share your file so that we can try and reproduce the issue ?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hi my1ironlung,
We have found that resetting one's configuration file solves this kind of issue.

There are 2 ways to do it:

1) In the Startup tab of the Preferences, choose "Open startup Panel"

On the startup panel, you can delete/duplicate/create a new config for your TVPaint.

or

2) You can delete the config manually and a new one will be generated at next launch.

It is located in Library > tvp animation 11/pro > default > config.ini (name of the file you have to delete).

But the system Library folder is hidden by default on MacOS, you can follow this guide to reveal it:

https://www.noterepeat.com/articles/how ... ry-folders
Probably a vampire
m-ries

Post by m-ries »

Hello,

I experienced the same problem before and am now experiencing it again.
I already once deleted my config file after the problem appeared (also did so because of the retina-display-lag-bug) but now the problem appeared again.
Did not change the canvas size as previously assumed; just opened a project file, worked on it, tried to save as new version – lost my work because TVP stopped responding in the "save as" dialogue.

Best regards

Matthias
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

m-ries wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 16:12 I experienced the same problem before and am now experiencing it again.
I already once deleted my config file after the problem appeared (also did so because of the retina-display-lag-bug) but now the problem appeared again.
Did not change the canvas size as previously assumed; just opened a project file, worked on it, tried to save as new version – lost my work because TVP stopped responding in the "save as" dialogue.
Which version do you use ?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

I have noticed that hitting ESCAPE while in the save/open dialogue closes the file explorer and allows you to work again and retry saving.
In somes cases, just clicking out of the explorer window fixes the issue.

We are currently looking into this issue :)
Probably a vampire
bauch

Post by bauch »

the bug is still there and very annoying. I have to reinstall the brushes when Reseting the config. A fix would be very appreciated. I am using TVPaint 11.5.1 on macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

The filesystem is still managed by your operating system, aka MacOS. Most of the time, when this happens it means you have a system-related issue. Not related to TVPaint. Maybe your hard disk is beginning to fail.

Start by checking your disk status (-> https://osxdaily.com/2018/05/31/how-che ... hard-disk/).
Do you have network drives ? they may slow down the system too.
Try the disk utility, too : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210898

There's also a possible workaround in TVPaint : use the internal file requester. Go to Preferences->Interface->File Requester and select "TVPaint Animation" instead of "System".