[macOS] Update on TVPaint 11.0.9 lag issue

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Thierry
Site Admin

[macOS] Update on TVPaint 11.0.9 lag issue

Post by Thierry »

Hello everyone,

An update on the situation that some of you are experiencing.

We've tried to reproduce the lag, interface issues that are being reported:
Menus don't pop up consitently or take several clicks to pop up. Dragging layer instances around is almost impossible. As well as miscellaneous UI lag in a similar vein.
I'm also experiencing lagging. Especially trying to select things in the menu and right clicking layers, colour tags etc.
Sometimes I have to click something a few times before the menu pops up
Whether it's on our iMac 5k, or on our MacBooks Pro, whether's they're running macOS Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave, we are unable to reproduce it.
That is not to say that there's no lag, in fact we do notice one, but not as extreme as this.

However, what we've noticed (and this is very, very noticeable on our iMac 5k) is that when the TVPaint window is on another monitor (not a Cintiq, just a monitor), the software is faster, in terms of playback and drawing.
We are investigating this, and we have a good idea on why it happens (still working on how to fix it).
Both of these problems (the lags you are all describing and what we've found) probably have the same origin, which is something related with Retina displays.

When I'll have more information I'll gladly share it :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I know that until we fix the issue, for some of you v11.0.9 is unusable.
In that regard, I have uploaded v11.0.8 on our server. Here's a download link if you wish to revert to it: https://owncloud.tvpaint.com/index.php/ ... flxk33pKsS
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
GerhardHuman

Re: [macOS] Update on TVPaint 11.0.9 lag issue

Post by GerhardHuman »

Hey thanks so much for looking into this. Appreciate it.

I'm working on an iMac 2013 model (pre-Retina display) - 27 Inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1GB
Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 (which is also the monitor I'm running TV paint on)

Mac OS Mojave V10.14.6

SOMETIMES the menus are more responsive if I leave my Wacom pen and click on them with the mouse. But not always...

Hope that helps :)
TV Paint 11.0.9 Std iMac 3.2GHz Wacom Cintiq 24 pro (no touch)
daninski

Post by daninski »

How about the stuttering on the timeline when you playback what you've done?
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

Thank you for starting this issue.
What happens on my Mac is that when you right-click on the timeline or panel using the WACOM Pro Pen,
the right-click menu does not appear with about half the probability.
I don't use a mouse or trackpad, so I'm not sure if the phenomenon is limited to the pen.
Look for a way to record, including the action at hand.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
Oscar Berg

Post by Oscar Berg »

Hi, I'd like to revert my software, but the link doesn't work for me.
It says that the file couldn't be found. How do I find it?
Thanks.
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

I took a picture of the right-click not working.
It doesn't always work and sometimes responds quickly.

TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
bwv656

Post by bwv656 »

I am experiencing the same issue running TVP 10.0.9 on macOS 10.14.6

- Trying to draw on the main canvas and nothing happens. This happens way too often.
- clicking on different parts of the UI is not always responsive.
- I have to use a mouse to click around to wake it up, then my Wacom pen gets responsive again, but it doesn't always work.
- When I playback my timeline. it stutters looks like it's struggling to playback at 1fps.[/list]

I am using the 2015 MBP 15" model with the screen closed.
Wacom 16 (1920x1080) is the only active display.
I am not using the retina display of the MBP at all.

I hope this gets fixed soon.
And also where do I download 10.0.8 for the Standard version?
The link you posted is for Pro only. My unlock code didn't work.
Oscar Berg

Post by Oscar Berg »

Yea, this update is unfortunately useless at the moment. My playback skips frames and many other features are very slow in response or not responding at all.
I'm working on a 2017 iMac with Catalina. But right now I've switched to my old laptop to use an older version of TVPaint.

I really hope you guys can fix this problem soon!
Thanks
Soom

Post by Soom »

Thierry wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 11:28 ....
However, what we've noticed (and this is very, very noticeable on our iMac 5k) is that when the TVPaint window is on another monitor (not a Cintiq, just a monitor), the software is faster, in terms of playback and drawing.
We are investigating this, and we have a good idea on why it happens (still working on how to fix it).
Both of these problems (the lags you are all describing and what we've found) probably have the same origin, which is something related with Retina displays.

When I'll have more information I'll gladly share it :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I know that until we fix the issue, for some of you v11.0.9 is unusable.
In that regard, I have uploaded v11.0.8 on our server. Here's a download link if you wish to revert to it: https://owncloud.tvpaint.com/index.php/ ... 6Qoe6dDmR7
I have a Mac with GeForce GTX 1060, and 2 monitors – Dell 4K and Cintiq 22" (so - no retina at all). I always work only on the Cintiq, and I still experience these lags - so I had to revert to 11.0.8 too.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

We've done more tests with our Cintiq 22 today (on our iMac 5k).

Long story short: we're still unable to reproduce the lag you are describing.
We created very big projects (10000 x 5000) and there's still no noticeable difference.
Our initial tests were done with the 6.3.36-2 version of the Wacom drivers, we updated to 6.3.37-3 today, and... still no difference.

We've also tried to reproduce the right-click menu lag that Hironori Takagi described (and showed in the video) and we also haven't been able to reproduce that either.

So... still no breakthrough on this issue yet. We've done tests on the 5k iMac, and other MacBook Pros.
We've just had a user report to us that the issue doesn't appear instantly but after a while (we're going to investigate that), can you confirm that this is also the case for all of you?
GeForce GTX 1060
Graphics cards are irrelevant for TVPaint, as the software doesn't use it.
Soom

Post by Soom »

Thierry wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 16:26 We've just had a user report to us that the issue doesn't appear instantly but after a while (we're going to investigate that), can you confirm that this is also the case for all of you?
Hmm, nope - in my case it was immediately very evident...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
GerhardHuman

Post by GerhardHuman »

Thierry wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 16:26 We've done more tests with our Cintiq 22 today (on our iMac 5k).

Long story short: we're still unable to reproduce the lag you are describing.
We created very big projects (10000 x 5000) and there's still no noticeable difference.
Our initial tests were done with the 6.3.36-2 version of the Wacom drivers, we updated to 6.3.37-3 today, and... still no difference.

We've also tried to reproduce the right-click menu lag that Hironori Takagi described (and showed in the video) and we also haven't been able to reproduce that either.

So... still no breakthrough on this issue yet. We've done tests on the 5k iMac, and other MacBook Pros.
We've just had a user report to us that the issue doesn't appear instantly but after a while (we're going to investigate that), can you confirm that this is also the case for all of you?
Hi, I can't really say if it only happens after a while, seems like it's always the case. I don't have a 5K display though my main monitor is running at 2560x1440 and my Cintiq Pro is running the same.
My projects also aren't that big. Standard HD canvas 1920x1080. Some of them don't even have that many layers or instances.

The video posted by Hironori Takagi perfectly shows what's happening. You right click on something and sometimes the menu comes up... sometimes not... sometimes it takes a few seconds... very frustrating if you're working quickly.

Don't know if it's maybe something to do with the Cintiq or Wacom drivers? It seems to be a lot more responsive when I use the mouse, but when I use my pen it starts acting up...

Thanks
TV Paint 11.0.9 Std iMac 3.2GHz Wacom Cintiq 24 pro (no touch)
artfx

Post by artfx »

Thierry wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 16:26
The issue is immediate and always. I have to wonder if your iMac 5K is so powerful it is just pushing through it. I am on a MacBook Pro. I am using a cheap Chinese tablet. (Yeah I know I should get a Cintiq)

The key point to note though, in respect to hardware, is that 11.0.8 has no issues.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
mayakanoe

Post by mayakanoe »

Hi,
I just received TVpaint and set it up a couple of days ago and pretty much immediately ran into this problem. i set up a shortcut to flip through instances and occasionally it will work fine but sometimes it will only respond if i press twice and only go forwards and backwards two instances instead of one, or just not respond at all, making it basically impossible to flip back and forth through instances...
i'm also having problems with the ui if i use the other screen, where I have to use my mouse to wake up the screen for the stylus to be recognized.
I have a Macbook Pro 2015 15-inch 16GB with Catalina
Cintiq Pro 24P
TVPaint 11

also idk if this is helpful, but i have been using the same cintiq and tvpaint versions and setup at my school with no problems except with a newer hardware mac that i think has more space.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

GerhardHuman wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 07:47Don't know if it's maybe something to do with the Cintiq or Wacom drivers? It seems to be a lot more responsive when I use the mouse, but when I use my pen it starts acting up...
Hmm...
It's possible that Wacom drivers are acting funny, but artfx uses a non-Wacom tablet and has the problem too.
But it's also clear that we're in the wrong too, as the bug is present on 11.0.9 and not on 11.0.8...
artfx wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 19:21The issue is immediate and always. I have to wonder if your iMac 5K is so powerful it is just pushing through it.
I've thought about that too.
But our other Macs aren't affected either: our MacBookPros from 2016 (running Mojave) and our old iMac from late 2012 (running Mojave), and even a MacPro from 2012 (running Sierra) :?