Strange issue where TVpaint keeps merging my frames together automatically?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
fairycolony

Strange issue where TVpaint keeps merging my frames together automatically?

Post by fairycolony »

Hello! So, I have been using TV Paint for an animation project for university, and it's my first time using the program, so I hope I'm not asking a very stupid question here!

So while using the program, it seems to automatically decide to merge my frames together. I am animating on Twos and it is like it takes the frames on either side and stitches them together to replace my original duplicate frame.

I had the same issue while sketching out my project, though I just worked past it, and now I am colouring the animation it is uh, definitely an issue.

I have NO idea what it is, as I was working on the SAME TVpaint file and as far as I know, I didn't do or click anything to make it do this, on one copy of my file, a smaller one from about 20-30 frames earlier in colouring, it is totally fine, but then later on my file seems to have done this strange frame stitching thing again.
However, if I try and erase the lines of the low opacity overlaid part of the frame, it doesn't erase, which leads me to believe it may be some kind of blending mode issue, or something? This is inside the program, and not upon exporting the file, though it does persist if I export as an AVI.

I don't have the specs of the PC on me right now as it is a mac at university, but I will update with it in a couple hours when I have time!

Here's some images of the problem, I also have the TVPaint files (thankfully I backed up an earlier version of the file) and the WIP animation exported as an AVI showing it in its normal state and then the messed up one.

Normal Sketch Frame:
Weird Sketch Frame:
Normal Coloured Frame:
Weird Coloured Frame:

If anyone knows anything and can help it'd be so much appreciated, and I'm super sorry if this is somehow an obvious issue I am overlooking, thank you so much for your time!!!!
slowtiger

Re: Strange issue where TVpaint keeps merging my frames together automatically?

Post by slowtiger »

Have you light table turned on?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
fairycolony

Post by fairycolony »

slowtiger wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 11:50 Have you light table turned on?
Nope, that's one of the first things I checked! :( It does look like it, but that is the actual contents of the frame! I can post screenshots of my settings in an hour or so, or share the TVpaint files themselves if that would be helpful. I have one where it is doing this and an earlier one in which it isn't.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I know of only 2 conditions where I get a view like this: one is using light table, the other is after stretching a timeline with interpolation. But you said you can't even erase the ghost image, so it's not the second one either.

Does this happen when you have only 1 layer active/visible?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
fairycolony

Post by fairycolony »

slowtiger wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 12:24 I know of only 2 conditions where I get a view like this: one is using light table, the other is after stretching a timeline with interpolation. But you said you can't even erase the ghost image, so it's not the second one either.

Does this happen when you have only 1 layer active/visible?
Actually, it turns out I can erase it now I have the file open, so it may be the second issue. If it was this how would I fix it?

Yes, the It still happens when I have the other layers as invisible. (Thanks for your help!)
UTB

Post by UTB »

did you ever find a solution to this problem? just wondering about that.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

the solution is only to prevent this from happening ...

So do not activate (tick the box for) the interpolate option when stretching out a layer.

because the effect cannot be undone later.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM