Which Wacom Cintiq tablet?

To talk about anything else
Furpuss

Which Wacom Cintiq tablet?

Post by Furpuss »

Hi-

I have been using a demo copy of TVPaint for awhile and really like it so I'll be buying it soon. After trying TVP on my Cintiq 13HD, I find the icons are much too small for me. I had to use a magnifying glass to read them at first. My question is which model of Cintiq do users recommend? Also, does the "Touch" function work with TVP?

Thanks,
Furpuss
Elodie

Re: Which Wacom Cintiq tablet?

Post by Elodie »

Hello !

Cintiq 22' are nice : they are not too heavy and have the possibility to be turned.

Cintiq 24' : not sold anymore and terribly heavy to move (35 / 40 kg)

Cintiq 27' : terribly sexy, huge screen, possibility to use a remote on it or using an articulated arm to move the tablet to your eyes. But, very expensive.

Regarding the touch : not used in TVPaint. IMHO, touch option is terribly annoying :s (for me, a tablet should use my finger or my stylus, not both :mrgreen:)
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Elodie,

What about changing preferences for size 2 icons? Will they work on the Cintiq 13HD?

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Sure they will, but for me, it gives a clutter interface :s

Actually, all depends on your definition. Galaxy note 2014 had a 2K screen and so, using x2 icons was pretty comfortable.
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

I used the 12wx. My problem wasn't the tiny icons, since the resolution wasn't that high, but all the panels and windows were always in my way. Of course you can create a shortcut to toggle them all at once, but usually there is at least one panel you constantly use and if you're unlucky it will be the layer panel.
So I sold my 12wx (fortunately short before the 13" model was released) and bought the 22HD. The size is really great to work on. I worked on the 24" too in my college and never noticed a difference in size, but maybe others will.
I'm pretty satisfied with the 22HD and would recommend it.

But if you already own the 13" model and have problems with the tiny icons you could at least try to change the resolution to a lower one. I saw some video of the cintiq companion 2 and it seems the native resolution of 2560 x 1440 is to tiny for a lot of people too.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

schwarzgrau wrote:I used the 12wx. My problem wasn't the tiny icons, since the resolution wasn't that high, but all the panels and windows were always in my way. Of course you can create a shortcut to toggle them all at once, but usually there is at least one panel you constantly use and if you're unlucky it will be the layer panel.
So I sold my 12wx (fortunately short before the 13" model was released) and bought the 22HD. The size is really great to work on. I worked on the 24" too in my college and never noticed a difference in size, but maybe others will.
I'm pretty satisfied with the 22HD and would recommend it.

But if you already own the 13" model and have problems with the tiny icons you could at least try to change the resolution to a lower one. I saw some video of the cintiq companion 2 and it seems the native resolution of 2560 x 1440 is to tiny for a lot of people too.
I had to use a 13" Cintiq for a while . The only way I could use it comfortably was to stretch TVPaint across two monitors (one of which is the 13" Cintiq), with the second monitor scaled to same resolution as the 13" Cintiq . The second monitor is used for the layers and tool bars, so the 13" Cintiq screen is only the work area (canvas) of TVPaint . Use Display Toggle to be able to easily grab things from the other monitor with the pen . Also since I am on Mac I use an app called Menu Everywhere which allows the main menu options (File, Edit , Project , etc. ) to be accessible from both monitors.

That said , for me the 13" Cintiq is too small to work comfortably (same with the Galaxy Note tablet , which I own and I have TVPaint on it , but I never use because for me the size is too restricting). My main Cintiq is the older 21" version. (similar to the current 22" version) I would recommend it . I like that mine is the version which allows the Cintiq itself to rotate around , so I have it retro-mounted into a traditional animation desk.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Furpuss

Post by Furpuss »

Thanks, everybody for all the great advice! I've made up my mind and the 22HD is it.
You'll probably be hearing more from me.

Furpuss
habashtvpaint

Post by habashtvpaint »

Elodie wrote: "a tablet should use my finger or my stylus, not both" Elodie
best quote on the touch technology ever :)
--
Animator for Life
Mac | 3.5GHz i7 | 24GB RAM | OSX 10.9 | TVP 11 Pro 64bit
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Elodie wrote: Regarding the touch : not used in TVPaint. IMHO, touch option is terribly annoying :s (for me, a tablet should use my finger or my stylus, not both :mrgreen:)
So it seems there are no plans to rotate the canvas using touch gestures?
INSTAGRAM
habashtvpaint

Post by habashtvpaint »

schwarzgrau wrote:
Elodie wrote: Regarding the touch : not used in TVPaint. IMHO, touch option is terribly annoying :s (for me, a tablet should use my finger or my stylus, not both :mrgreen:)
IMHO I don't think TVPaint needs a touch gesture to rotate the canvas. I'm saving for a cintiq so I don't know 'yet' if the rotate button will work with a touch and drag (see below)
TVP_Rotate.jpg
TVP_Rotate.jpg (10.28 KiB) Viewed 36886 times
If it does, then one finger can rotate the canvas with a 'touch and drag' wouldn't that be more convenient than two fingers and rest twist! :idea:
--
Animator for Life
Mac | 3.5GHz i7 | 24GB RAM | OSX 10.9 | TVP 11 Pro 64bit
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

schwarzgrau wrote:
Yes, we still plan it. But we had to define priorities in development and touch / rotate and stuff was less important than features like auto save or image guide :)

But don't worry, it's still in our to do list ;)
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

I completely understand, that's not the feature with the highest priority, but I'm glad it's still on the list, since it would be a time-saving feature on all wacom touch devices.
INSTAGRAM
Jourdan Biziou

Post by Jourdan Biziou »

Awesome Furpuss, :) great buy !!, I was eyeing the 22 as well but went for the 27 HD one, not the touch,,,I really like the 22 inch, but the color space was really important to me as I also do photography and video. The size also works for me perfectly. so the 27 won in my home, I also got the Ergotron Arm so I can move and rotate to comfort. need to rotate the canvas, just rotate the tablet. It comes with one extension attachment but it was to large so I just use the one part connected to the base and it is very very stable and little to no wobble,

I have to say,,, coming from a 6x8 intuos 3 wacom to a Cintiq is dramatic. Over the weekend I went through some test animations to relearn TVpaint, and I am animating at least 75% faster now,, feels much more natural. The Paralax is not an issue at all. just calibrate the tablet and I dont even notice it. Granted Im not in the Ink and polish stage, just gesture and rough first pass stuff.

But regardless of tablet size,, its important to spend a little time customizing your express keys and shortcuts to speed things up . :)
~ I think therefore I draw ~

Win 7 64bit, Nvidia Quadro K5000, 34 GB. TVpaint 11.0 pro 64bit, Wacom Cintiq 27 HD, Intuos 3