Samsung Tab S7 (S7+) Anyone using with TVPaint-Android?

To talk about anything else
Svengali

Samsung Tab S7 (S7+) Anyone using with TVPaint-Android?

Post by Svengali »

Specifically, I was wondering if the barrel switch on the stylus is "upper and lower" like the Wacom?
and if anyone has any other positive or negative reactions to TVPaint on this tablet?

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Sloppytoons

Re: Samsung Tab S7 (S7+) Anyone using with TVPaint-Android?

Post by Sloppytoons »

I've only used it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and now the Tab S6lite. Performance wise these do the job well enough. I can concept some ideas, rough out animatics (Or finish it if I'm in the zone on the couch) and clean up smaller gif animations. Anything else it goes onto the desktop.

My only main gripe is the UI icons are a bit too big, and the file explorer when opening old projects is too big and it goes off screen. Haven't been able to properly fix that, so maybe someone smarter can help?

So I would be weary with the smaller s7 as it isn't much bigger than my Tab s6 lite, But I think all my gripes would be answered on the bigger s7+.

One other thing to think of. The app only runs for a year, and you'll need to download it every year, and that update isn't guaranteed. The TVpaint crew has mentioned in a couple of posts that they recommend you don't buy an android tablet solely for TVpaint because they won't guarantee how long that will last. So you better also like Roughanimator (I do) if you want to use it beyond TVpaint.
My regular IG account: Sloppybunnytoons
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Last week I picked up the Samsung S7+ Tablet... and today, installed TVPaint which looks fantastic on the display with Resolution 2 scaling.
To answer my own question, the switch on the stylus is still a single switch, not a rocker/double switch like I'm used to on the Wacom.
(I'm not surprised, as I had to adapt to the same restriction on my old Samsung Tablet and stylus).

Will post more later after I get properly configured for TVPaint on the S7+ Tablet.

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Nice :)
wreckedlemon

Post by wreckedlemon »

Hi there,

Yep. Just bought a S7+ with the old two-point-something UI and TVpaint pro 11.5 works like a dream. Hasn't crashed once. Transfering projects between the desktop and the S7 and back is super easy (yay! android). I was amazed by how good the pen is. I had heard that it doesn't compare to the Apple Pencil but with the lovely screen and rubber tip I prefer it. I didn't have to buy a pen or affix a "Paperlike" screen protector - I am a former iPad pro user so the jump was a hard one to do. Glad I did now.

I use the UI set to 2 which is perfect for my thumb (left) to access the left drawer and have discovered some tricks that I've taken back to the Cintiq based desktop. One feature request is the same here as with the as I have with using TVP on a 15.6 cintiq. We need a 1.5 setting or better (in this case) a way to reduce (or increase) the track height and keep the rest the same. Like how you can do in Resolve or Premiere. The icons at 2 are perfect for my thumbs and touch control but old like to reduce the track height to around the size at UI setting 1.

Only doing little tests haven't tried anything to strenuous but TVPaint on Android is the best thing a nice TVPaint on PC. Love it.

Great for storyboarding/animatics with clients. Diffinately a keeper.

Please, please keep supporting this it's amazing. More people should know about this.
Zig

Desktop: TVP Pro 11.5 Windows 10 with Wacom Cintiq 16 Pro.
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 256gb. One UI 2 Point something ;)

www.diaryofshortdisturbances.blog
wreckedlemon

Post by wreckedlemon »

BTW I haven't upgraded the S7s UI to 3.1, just in case.
Zig

Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 256gb. One UI 2 Point something ;)

Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Yes, we understood that you guys care about this version :)

A brand new S7+ arrived at the office last week. TVPaint worked perfectly on Android 10 (T970XXU1ATK3), not anymore after a first system upgrade (T970XXU1BUAA), neither after the second (T970XXU1BUBB).

So this will probably be my first task after my week off :mrgreen:
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Happy to hear... and enjoy your week, you certainly deserve it! (maybe you can borrow the S7+ for personal use uh testing! :mrgreen: )

sven
wreckedlemon

Post by wreckedlemon »

Xavier wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 19:25 Yes, we understood that you guys care about this version :)

A brand new S7+ arrived at the office last week. TVPaint worked perfectly on Android 10 (T970XXU1ATK3), not anymore after a first system upgrade (T970XXU1BUAA), neither after the second (T970XXU1BUBB).

So this will probably be my first task after my week off :mrgreen:
Great stuff. Still gobsmacked at what you've achieved in the S7.
Zig

Xavier

Post by Xavier »

So I spent quite a bunch of time understanding how to deal with Android, and then to find out what exactly happens ... It's a bit tricky, since TVPaint for Android is actually bound to the TVPaint native code ; but so far it appears that there's a permission issue.

More precisely, Android 11 forbids TVPaint to write its cache files to the disk (I had an explicit "permission denied" error when debugging on the S7+).
I believe that it's related to the new permission management in Android 11. Technical info here : https://developer.android.com/about/ver ... cy/storage .

So far, I'd strongly advise you to stick to Android 10 if possible.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I am looking specifically for procedure or video instructions on how to revert to Android 10 on my TabS7+? After two attempts resetting, I still find myself in Android 11. Has anyone managed to successfully downgrade the TabS7 back to Android 10 version?

If I can't find a "SAFE" way to revert, I'll probably have to wait for a new TVPaint-Android version that resolves the permissions problem (or whatever fix is necessary) to get up and running again.

sven
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Yes well Samsung won't offer any help to downgrade your firmware, and you're right to assume that there's a risk.

Basically you have just to download the firmware that matches your device codename (the code that is labelled on the back of the tablet). For the one we have, it's SM-T970.
Then flash the firmware using Odin on Windows. Samsung firmwares are the easiest to find, and their tablets are also the most supported by the community.

Yet TVPaint won't take responsibility if anything happens :)
At a personal level I used to do it ... you just have to ensure that your device is properly charged, and that you have the correct firmware for the device (the codename). It's 99,9% reliable.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Xavier, thanks.
Yes, that's the same procedure I found, and it sounds quite straight forward. At some point if I'm feeling lucky, I might try it :roll: ...
I also know the fix for the Android 11 version of TVPaint is understandably somewhere pretty far down on your list.

Still, it just might be most prudent for me to wait :? There's always enough other things to do.

On a related Tab S7+ note, I'd recommend you download/activate a trial copy of Clip Studio Paint Pro, the version for Android to your Tab S7+ (6 months free with purchase of tablet here in U.S.).

First, their user interface design is quite impressive, both on the Windows and the Android version. Second, I specifically point to their implementation of the stylus barrel switch + tip switch to act as an eraser; something like that is really needed on the new Android version of TVPaint.

sven
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

We don't have an ETA yet on that fix, because as we kind of need to redo the permissions (preventing the configuration from being created), it's a bit complicated.
In the meantime, I will add a warning on the User Account, so that users will be warned before downloading the Android version.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
z01ks

Post by z01ks »

I recently got an S7+ and would love to try TVPaint if that were possible. Does anyone know if it's possible to have multiple Android versions? Like a virtual/emulated version of Android 10 and would TVPaint work on that?

Also, if there's any news on a possible fix for the permissions issue, please let us know. Thanks!