Adobe tells users that they can get sued for using older versions of Photoshop

To talk about anything else
VGmaster9

Adobe tells users that they can get sued for using older versions of Photoshop

Post by VGmaster9 »

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3xk ... reddit.com
Adobe is warning some owners of its Creative Cloud software applications that they’re no longer allowed to use older versions of the software. It’s yet another example of how in the modern era, you increasingly don’t actually own the things you’ve spent your hard-earned money on.

Adobe this week began sending some users of its Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Premiere, Animate, and Media Director programs a letter warning them that they were no longer legally authorized to use the software they may have thought they owned.

“We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and and a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them,” Adobe said in the email. “Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties.”
This is ridiculous. This is why that subscription based licenses are abysmal business practices.
slowtiger

Re: Adobe tells users that they can get sued for using older versions of Photoshop

Post by slowtiger »

I'm so tempted to say "told you so". I'm still working with CS5. And there's new software emerging which looks quite promising, and it's not by Adobe.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
daninski

Re: Adobe tells users that they can get sued for using older versions of Photoshop

Post by daninski »

Amen, I've almost completely been able to leave Adobe behind now. The only time I need it is with AE when I'm doing complex layers in 3D space shots, and that's very rare.
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
Sloppytoons

Post by Sloppytoons »

That's why I left Adobe too. These subscription thing builds up, and all you need is a couple of tough months, and even that $100 can just throw you over the edge and have you take out too much of your anger on ones cat.

I already have TVpaint, and I don't mind spending the lump some at once. I now have it, and the tough part is over.

I hated Adobe Photoshop always, and have been drawing in Sketchbook pro for the longest time (Over 10 years?). Affinity designer and photo is all the vector and photo manipulation I need, I edit in Final Cut. And Motion is the only downgrade for me after leaving Adobe. After Effects is pretty awesome.

Does CS6 even run on modern hardware?
My regular IG account: Sloppybunnytoons
NiceGS

Post by NiceGS »

Are they all crazy?! That's it, I gonna find an alternative for Adobe as soon as possible. They've already pissed off millions of loyal users...
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

This is ridiculous. This is why that subscription based licenses are abysmal business practices.
Agree. Subscriptions add up, and they make me feel tense, like I'm being taken hostage.

Despite the threats, I will continue to use my AI CS6. I keep removing that Creative Cloud off my system so it doesn't mess with my CS6 or surreptiously delete it. Adobe is a hostile software company that seems to war against its customers. One can never relax with Adobe (this ought to be their slogan). :lol:
mclinton

Post by mclinton »

I think this only applies if you are using an older version that you downloaded with a Creative Cloud subscription. If you bought a perpetual license of CS6 years ago you can still use it.