Peanuts! Feature film by Blue Sky

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Fabrice

Re: Peanuts! Feature film by Blue Sky

Post by Fabrice »

Just because squash & stretch (or any animation "principle") can be over-used or used poorly doesn't mean it isn't good when used correctly.
I add my "+1" to this. :)
Fabrice Debarge
Monthuit

Post by Monthuit »

slowtiger wrote:I'm with Paul here: I feel the approach of Bill Melendez was completely appropriate with these characters. But I'm used to it, I had my share of eastern european animation and lots of experimental stuff, so for me limited or even jumpy animation is completely normal. Someone grown up with only a diet of Disney might react differently.

(Fun fact: There's a scene in one of the first films where all characters dance in a school auditory. Each character has a distinct style, each is just a small loop. But these loops are still spread over the net today (as GIFs), each of them as illustration for a personality type.)

Elodie: Ugh, I never saw these - something completely different from the original! (One of the boys wears a yellow sweater with a Charly Brown Zigzag line!) That short handdrawn bit at the title card looks really nice - but my guess is that they couldn't find enough animators to handle this style well enough, and/or didn't have a suitable software to do this. And of course "handdrawn" is more expensive than digital puppetry.

But I expect this to change because of Ernest and Celestine, which uses a similar "broken" line approach still on a budget (with Flash!), and the next movie of that kind will be in TVP.

Really? Ernest and Celestine was drawn with FLASH!? :?
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Really? Ernest and Celestine was drawn with FLASH!? :?
Yes, mainly animated in flash. For the coloring process, it's Digital Graphics secret.

They owe tvpaint licences, but i don't know if they used them for E&C.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I found a new trailer (not that new, but... well...)

idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Watching this movie is 3D is going to look like those old Viewfinder 3D pics....
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

The problem is just money + the fact that many producers are just ignorant and think 2D is "old school"
I have a recurring idea/dream: many 2D animators are getting older (this is why 2D is thought to be "old school") and perhaps some are retired. Perhaps some are in a comfortable place financially. Why can't we 2D animators come together to create a great full-length 2D animated film just for the fun of it and the love of animating? (Of course a well-written story would be essential to this endeavor.) The objective would be to make an excellent 2D animated film without the need for immediate financial gain. So the problem wouldn't be money - at least not millions of dollars.

If this low-budget film turned out to be a success, then hopefully the financial reward would come. If not, oh well. We'd have had the privilege of taking part in something never done before. A bunch of artists donating our time because we love what we do.

And thanks to technology, this could even be an international endeavor.

So that there is my dream.

(Let's see who's the first to shoot my merry balloon out of the air. LOL)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

The new trailer for "Peanuts" is out .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVR4E6Q6u5g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few moments of drawn animation starting at the 00:11 sec mark - through - 00:20 . Does anyone know if this was done with TVPaint ?
(because earlier on in this thread Elodie mentioned that some drawn effects elements in the teaser trailer had been animated using TVPaint)
Peanuts trailer hand drawn.png
It will be interesting to see whether there are more moments of drawn animation in the film , or if this was only a trailer shot .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I think I will like it. The trailer features some good gags and excellent timing - just watch that fence go down. And the animation isn't completely smooth, which fits the characters.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

There are a few moments of drawn animation starting at the 00:11 sec mark - through - 00:20 . Does anyone know if this was done with TVPaint ?
(because earlier on in this thread Elodie mentioned that some drawn effects elements in the teaser trailer had been animated using TVPaint)
I think it was, but I cannot be sure. Too bad, there was a Peanuts conference in Annecy, but none of us could attend it, since it was on the first Mifa's day, at 9 am :(
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Snoopy de Charente - Le studio Normaal
http://www.sudouest.fr/2013/10/23/snoop ... 19-813.php

This program is not "made with TVPaint", but respect for the way of Schulz zigzag outline.
http://normaal.fr/filmography/peanuts-de-schulz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from France 3 〝Ludo〟 official Youtube channel

Seek 10:11-
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

The look of that is so nice! I wish they had considered the idea of inbetweening (or "tweening" as the software case may be) on 2's instead of 1's. I'm not sure why, but I dislike the look of modern animation on 1's. It looks too smooth and it doesn't match the feel of the original.

However the rest of the artistic style is very pleasant to look at. It's odd for me to hear the dialog in French :P
Just as Tintin, Asterix, et al sound weird to me in English, Charlie Brown sounds very strange in French! :D
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

neonnoodle wrote:However the rest of the artistic style is very pleasant to look at. It's odd for me to hear the dialog in French :P
Just as Tintin, Asterix, et al sound weird to me in English, Charlie Brown sounds very strange in French! :D
So ... I am afraid when you heard my region voiceover version (it will televice every early morning from next month).
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The german dubbing is quite awful, I prefer the english voices.

During his presentation in Berlin Steve Martino clearly said that face expressions and other stuff were done in a 2D program, but I can't remember if he mentioned TVPaint by name.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

slowtiger wrote: During his presentation in Berlin Steve Martino clearly said that face expressions and other stuff were done in a 2D program, but I can't remember if he mentioned TVPaint by name.
Perhaps Mr. Martino would like to means a part of Charlie Brown's monologue.

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Nice to see a few glimpses of TVPaint in this making-of video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al-RLxymA9Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I think that Blue Sky has probably done the best possible CG version of Peanuts that can be done (deep respect for the artists working there) frankly this video extolling the virtue of the Schulz's DRAWINGS and his LINE QUALITY should make any sane person want to react with : "OK, well then , why didn't you draw the animation ?" Then it would look like that great line quality you're gushing over in the video."

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1