Various stuff made with TVPaint

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Gochris1

Re: Various films made with TVPaint

Post by Gochris1 »

Loved the alien's transport.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Made with TVPaint:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/shorts/kairo ... 81688.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On their Facebook page (*Studio La Cachette) they mention:
"We used TVPaint for the entire film, and a little bit of AfterEffect for the compositing."

*Studio La Cachette was founded by the same group who made the film "Le Royaume". (also using TVPaint)

idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I was wondering if this had been done with TVPaint... I suspected it had been (or drawn on paper and then finished in TVPaint), it looked very "TVPaint-y" :-)
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

From a very personal point of view, I admire much in this little piece but all those sentiments are overshadowed by an overwhelming thought that this is such a waste of talent and good works! Is there really what seems to be an endless and sustained appetite among audiences for all this volatile and nonsensical megalomania? Looking at the long list of credits I have to wonder how so many undoubtedly young people can get together and agree that they will put all their best efforts into making the millionth pathological audio and visual noise maker around.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

It's essentially an advert for the comic book. So I don't look at this piece as a completed film, but as a teaser for the product.

It's not necessarily a genre I would choose if I were making a film, but if I were hired to do a promotional piece for this sort of comic book I'd try my best to deliver what the client asked for. I think it's skillfully made .
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

damn, I taught them TVPaint years ago at Gobelins ...
they can't stop using it now. 8)
Fabrice Debarge
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

D.T. Nethery wrote:It's essentially an advert for the comic book. So I don't look at this piece as a completed film, but as a teaser for the product.

It's not necessarily a genre I would choose if I were making a film, but if I were hired to do a promotional piece for this sort of comic book I'd try my best to deliver what the client asked for. I think it's skillfully made .
It definitely has an Anime feel to it, I don't know much about the comic. Still, looks fun, and I like the comic look and feel of this. I wish Tin Tin had been made with a similar look and feel.
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Fabrice wrote:damn, I taught them TVPaint years ago at Gobelins ...
they can't stop using it now. 8)
Damn those guys! Or can we blame you, Fabrice?
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

idragosani wrote:
Fabrice wrote:damn, I taught them TVPaint years ago at Gobelins ...
they can't stop using it now. cool. 8)
Damn those guys! Or can we blame you, Fabrice?
you can, but ....

I helped them to master an animation tool, however in no way I taught them how to animate nor tell a story.
They are the people having the real talent. :)
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

TVPaint is for the animator what flavoring is for the cooker : it just higlights your talent :D
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:From a very personal point of view, I admire much in this little piece but all those sentiments are overshadowed by an overwhelming thought that this is such a waste of talent and good works! Is there really what seems to be an endless and sustained appetite among audiences for all this volatile and nonsensical megalomania? Looking at the long list of credits I have to wonder how so many undoubtedly young people can get together and agree that they will put all their best efforts into making the millionth pathological audio and visual noise maker around.
:)
I have learned to know by now that it's too much to expect thoughtfulness and the necessary olympian reservation among animation creators.
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Short movies made with TVPaint

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Well, now that I understand that this is a commercial for a graphics novel, I can understand better what's going on, because I've made my share of dregs in the past whilst working commercial jobs. I think it would be beneficial and only fair to the filmmakers and to those of us who are willing to give up some of our time to offer constructive comments that go beyond "Wow!" or :Awesome man!", if the people who present these samples supplied us with some background information.

But this doesn't change my overall perception of the piece -- I just understand why it was made.

In addition I would like to note my observation that too many films made by young and talented animators with good skills stemming from good training, too often succumb to a common cheat: if you make everything move at breakneck speeds with lots of bangs and thunderous SFX to accentuate dynamism while keeping the lengths of clips to a bear minimum of frames, you won't have to work as hard to make an impression.

But that's too easy; it's a one trick pony. Show me some action story such as this one, executed at normal speeds and scene lengths of decent timing that give opportunities to offer some subtle character acting, and I'll show you an animator with a viable future.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

Paul -

Thanks for posting this. All of these are very salient points.

A lot of the close ups of the characters could have been extended by a second or second and a half to show what characters were thinking. It would have made the characters more original instead of
being stock characters. The fighting scenes are fun, but once again the piece plows through the action instead of looking for ways to make this action original to these characters. The characters are not doing as much acting and showing their inner character as they could be...

Showing character should always be the animator's #1 concern. People's character comes out when they are under pressure. And the characters in the piece are certainly under pressure! But yet, they handle the pressure in the same ways we've seen in other movies, instead of original ways.

Still, I enjoyed the piece. I was intrigued enough to take it apart and ask myself how I would do it if I'd had the chance. I learned a lot from the exercise, and would have bothered if it weren't for your post.

With all of the razzle dazzle you can do with film making and animation, it's easy to forget about animation acting and showing character. Thanks for reminding me.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

On Pablo Navarro's demo reel the first 00:31 seconds is a scene from the short film "OA" (produced by TigoboAnimation) which was animated with TVPaint Animation :

http://www.tigoboanimation.com/OA-Project/OA-demo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Thanks for sharing :)