CartoonMonkey's Gallery

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
CartoonMonkey

Re: CartoonMonkey's Gallery

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Oh yes, working for years in commercial animation (for other studios) and working under directors who constantly change everything, you get a very thick skin. Drawing on your own paper drawings though! ha! I can see that bothering me a little, especially under the gun on some job.

I think it's a good thing actually. I don't mind at all critiques, I think they're the best way to keep on learning as you go. In fact, I would say if one ever claims they've mastered something, and can't explore new techniques or directions, it's a terrible shame.

But I work in much the same way, keeping bits of motion on separate layers, each arm for example.. then you can play around with moving frames and offsetting motion. That's the one thing I enjoy about flash so much, is with those dynamic symbols on the stage..you can easily offset a symbol full of animation, and rotate / rescale it..and immediately see the results, without rendering or setting up the fx panel etc.

I'm of two minds about the way I work, sometimes I get the best results just hand drawing things, animating straight ahead without much planning, but other times I love to play around mechanically with all these tricks the animation applications afford. Another favorite trick of mine is using the warp grid FX and other tools to distort a series of hand drawn animation I've already done. Making a character seem taller or just warping the drawings in some fashion that changes the overall mood of the piece.
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Here's another quickie I did over the weekend: This time I made sure to offset the limbs a bit more and copied the whole cycle a 2nd time and re-drew it entirely, so you're seeing it cycle twice, in total.
runcycle3.gif
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

A little drawing I did as a test for an upcoming job that requires heavy illustration. TVP is fantastic to paint and draw with. Fun!
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Thank you for your kind words ! That's a funny drawing (but wow, a fly with teeth ! So scary :mrgreen: )
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Thanks Elodie! The more and more I use TVP, I realize that it's becoming also my favorite tool for illustration and comics as well.
This fly has teeth.. so frightening! Actually as a child, I was bitten quite a bit by biting horseflies while on trout fishing trips with my father through Idaho and Wyoming here in the US. Let me tell you, a young nerdy, skinny cartoonist was the perfect bait for these pests..! Ouch!
ha!
:D
C
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

CartoonMonkey wrote:I was bitten quite a bit by biting horseflies

*brrrrrr* I hate those stupid insects. When I was a teenager, I rode horses and I was always scared by those big throbbing pest... And horses either... :roll:
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Oooh. I like this one Chad. Especially the subtle use of texture.
I completely agree about TVP for Illustration. I have just done a couple of samples for a book project. Great fun :-)
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Thanks Dave! I agree, great fun.
Here's another one I did early this morning. May you loom over the day like a happy giant..
Attachments
morning.jpg
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Niiiice. Do I detect your splatter brushes in action? I have them installed - brilliant!
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Ah yes.. Thanks Dave! You do indeed detect splatterbrush in action.
I'm thinking about making another spray texture package of brushes: Possibly sand, woodchips, salt, that sort of thing. Could be interesting.. Oh.. although..my flatbed scanner is broken.
But soon. Soon!
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Scanner. Can you still get those?
I haven't had a chance to dig into the custom brushes yet but your splatter brushes are superb. There are just not enough hours in the day (Probably considerably less for me now as my first ever android has just arrived this morning :) )
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Here's another one done in TVP. A morning doodle to mark the rare occasion where I was up at 5am..
:-D
C
derpderp.jpg
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Really cute, as usual :)

(I would like to be as festive when I wake up early in the morning :D)
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

A really nice illustrative quality there Chad. I think you are on to something there!
MatthewTardiff

Post by MatthewTardiff »

CartoonMonkey wrote:
TVP-Snakewalk.gif
(click image to play)
Makes me think of something in the world of Futurama