Global inverse stencil

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Peter Wassink

Global inverse stencil

Post by Peter Wassink »

you can inverse stencils individually

multiple layers with active stencils (positive or negative) can add or subtract from each other to achieve a combined stencil area.

how ever... only half of all possible results can be achieved using the stencil switches this way.

i ask for a global switch to invert the added result of the individually activated stencil layers.
that way we can skip the step of creating a mask layer using multiple stencils and then activate a stencil on that.

the option could be added to the stencil RMB menu
also the current stencil menu is lacking in options

the option invert stencils does not work very logicly
instead of inverting activated stencils it switches stencils off on layers that had one activated and activates the stencil on all other layers.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Peter Wassink

Re: Global inverse stencil

Post by Peter Wassink »

ran into this one again.
its tricky to get your head around but the stencil set-up is missing some result options.
these are the current options when combining two layers:
stencil bug-revisited2.png
stencil bug-revisited2.png (43.8 KiB) Viewed 12849 times
i guess what i miss is the possibility to invert these results.
2 and 3 can be inverted (2>5 and 3>6)
but the rest cannot.
but i'm thinking that would only be achievable ig we could group layers with a stencil and inverse that group...something that seems to be a possibility only if we have layerfolders...

when i add a third mask layer thinks get very messy.
i tried to be systematic and noticed three times that some combinations gave identical results, while a host of results is not achievable with the current set-up.
for instance to get the inverse result of frame 5, a grid of white stripes, is currently not possible.
stencil bug-revisited3.png
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
melanie

Re: Global inverse stencil

Post by melanie »

You have to see them as real stencils. Which means that they will react the same way you lay down your stencils on your paper.
If you use 2 different stencils, then you will lay them on top of each other, and then paint over in the holes where the paper is uncovered.
If you use 3 or more different stencils, you have to be careful to leave some uncovered space to paint on.
The inverse stencil will not inverse the result you have with the stencil you use in its first position. It will use the alpha as a stencil, a tool, which will obviously give a different result.
The image you showed above depicts the correct behaviour of the stencils.
I imagine one has to try with real stencils to understand fully their use and results. I invite you to try it, it will be much more clearer afterwards.
Melanie • Animator