Select Tool - Add/Subtract keyboard toggle

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Soom

Select Tool - Add/Subtract keyboard toggle

Post by Soom »

There were requests similar to this, but I couldn't find an exact one.

I use selection tool a lot, and I find it extremely cumbersome to constantly click with the mouse this drop-down menu to toggle the Replace, Add and Subtract functions. In Photoshop it is solved extremely easy - the default is Replace, then, while selecting, press SHIFT to Add or ALT to Subtract. That's it. It is very intuitive and much faster. I think similar system must be done in TVPaint. I understand that Alt cannot be used cause it is the panning tool, but another key can be used instead.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Lukas

Re: Select Tool - Add/Subtract keyboard toggle

Post by Lukas »

+1

I really like how in Photoshop the lasso cursor changes (you can see a "-" or "+" in the cursor icon so you know what you're doing), would be nice to have in TVP too
  • Club Baboo
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.2
  • macOS Ventura 13.4.1 & Windows 10
  • Cintiq 27QHD
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

only if it's not patented.
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Maybe we could simply add the shortcut, just like we do with the drawing modes (F2, F4, etc...) ?
Soom

Post by Soom »

Elodie wrote:Maybe we could simply add the shortcut, just like we do with the drawing modes (F2, F4, etc...) ?
nope, at least, I guess, for my generation - it's faster and more intuitive, because in most existing software SHIFT is used for adding, and ALT for subtracting - even in non graphic software... the reason is because when u are using select tool, it usually takes several different options at the same moment to make a proper selection. It's like having the erase option under right click on the pen (which, I think is your amazing invention!) - something you need always under your finger - same with selection. I still think fixed Add/Subtract should stay, as it is now, but it should have an option to toggle temporary also. I don't think it's patented, cause it was the same in Macromedia, Corel etc, but i'm not an expert on bureaucracy :/
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Ok, so in fact, you would prefer to have a "floatting" shortcut that would behave like this :

* select tool : you select a zone and each new selection clears the previous select shape;
* select tool + [shift] : you select a zone and each new selection is added to the previous select shape;
* select tool + [ctrl] : you select a zone and each new selection substracts a part from the previous select shape.
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

+1

and it dosnt seem that "Shift" and "Ctrl" is used when using the Select tools

Maybe it could be that
shift while pressed down selects the next mode and ctrl select the previous mode from the dropdown menu
this means if you have a select tool and have chosen replace as the mode
Holding town shift would make the mode to add. and holding doen ctrl would make the mode "sub"
If "Sub" is your chosen mode. then shift would choose replace and ctrl would choose add
If "Add" is selected shift would choose "Sub" and Ctrl woulæd choose "Replace"

just a thought

By the way Soom, you are aware that if you have choosen the "Add" mode holding doen RMB will choose the "Sub" mode temporareli?
But still I think "Shift" + "Ctrl" modifiers to the select tools would be intuitive
-Mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Soom

Post by Soom »

madsjuul wrote: By the way Soom, you are aware that if you have choosen the "Add" mode holding doen RMB will choose the "Sub" mode temporareli?
But still I think "Shift" + "Ctrl" modifiers to the select tools would be intuitive
-Mads
Wow - that I didnt know - this is really helpful!
gwakanaka

Post by gwakanaka »

Since the new update, the default selection tool mode is 'replace'. Previously it used to be add which was very helpful. Can I make it back to being add as a default on every start up?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

gwakanaka wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 14:02 Since the new update, the default selection tool mode is 'replace'. Previously it used to be add which was very helpful. Can I make it back to being add as a default on every start up?
+1 . Please change it back to have ADD as the default selection tool mode. OR make it so TVPaint remembers the user's last setting for selection tool, so if I have selection set to ADD , when I next open TVPaint it will still be set to ADD, not revert to REPLACE .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Yes the save of the selection mode is already implemented (see here --> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13991), but actually I'm surprised that no keyboard shortcut (or modifier) lets you switch the selection mode.

I'll add this to the TODO list :)
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

I was creating a panel for this.
I hope that registered as a shortcut from the beginning.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
gwakanaka

Post by gwakanaka »

Xavier wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 16:31 Yes the selection mode saving has been implemented already (see here --> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13991), but actually I'm surprised that no keyboard shortcut (or modifier) lets you switch the selection mode.

I'll add this to the TODO list :)
Do you mean you have taken note of this and will be seen working in next update? From the other link that's what I gathered.

Thank you,