View - Flip Image Horizontally or Vertically with Marker added Topic is solved

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

View - Flip Image Horizontally or Vertically with Marker added

Post by D.T. Nethery »

It's useful to be able to temporarily flip (mirror) the image horizontally or vertically , but when doing it from the View menu the mirrored image is only temporary . If it is accidentally left in the mirrored view , when you go to export the project it will be exported in the original view. This is different than applying from the FX Stack > Distortion > Flip (horizontally , vertically , or both). FX Stack flip horizontal or vertical is permanently applied , but View menu > Flip > Horizontally (or Vertically) is temporary.

Because of that , I think when using Flip Image Horizontally or Flip Image Vertically from the View menu it would be useful to have a little marker superimposed over the flipped image , either Flipped (H) or Flipped (V) to alert the user that the image has been flipped. When it returns to the original orientation the little marker disappears.

The marker is inserted as a quick visual reminder that the image is in flipped/reversed mode:

-----

Thinking about this makes me wonder if the nomenclature of "Flip" should be reconsidered for this function, because the term Flip is also used in TVPaint to refer to the act of scrubbing or toggling quickly back and forth between drawings on the Timeline , to simulate the animator's traditional method of "flipping" and/or "rolling" drawings to assess how the animation is working.

With the View menu > Flip > Horizontally or Vertically the word "Flip" is used in the sense of the image being "mirrored" or "reversed" (turned over) ... in the second case the term "Flip" (the Flips panel or keyboard shortcuts for Next Image/Previous Image / Next Bookmark/Previous Bookmark) is used in the sense of viewing a selected set of drawings forward and backward in rapid succession to assess the action.

I would be inclined to suggest renaming it "Mirror View Horizontal" or "Mirror View Vertical" , except in the FX Stack there is already an effect named "Mirror" which adds a perfectly mirrored image (either vertical or horizontal orientation) of the original image.

"Mirror" already exists in FX Stack, so maybe best not to mess with that , leave it as is:
Mirror FX.jpg

Perhaps the View menu function currently called Flip Image Horizontal/Flip Image Vertical could be changed to Reverse Image Horizontal/Reverse Image Vertical ?
In which case the little alert marker would be Image Reversed (H) or Image Reversed (V).

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Peter Wassink

Re: View - Flip Image Horizontally or Vertically with Marker added

Post by Peter Wassink »

Good suggestion.

I don't see the problem calling it "Mirror" in the View menu though. mirror to me also implies something more temporarily then flip

funny enough i have a bigger problem with the horizontal <--> vertical naming.. :P
because it can be quite easy to erroneously assume that 'horizontal' refers to the axis over which the mirroring is done.
I mean...in real life
if a mirror is laid down horizontally, the mirroring is up <--> down
and if a mirror is set up vertically, the mirroring is left <--> right

so i suggest:
Mirror left-right
Mirror up-down
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 17:36
I don't see the problem calling it "Mirror" in the View menu though. mirror to me also implies something more temporarily then flip
Agree, but I worried there might be confusion (?) with shortcuts that already exist for the function FX Stack > Distortion > Mirror .

Otherwise I think for the View menu function , "Mirror Image Horizontally" or "Mirror Image Vertically" works better than "Flip Image Horizontally" or "Flip Image Vertically".

I also see your point about horizontal and vertical. It would be fine to have it as View > Image > "Mirror -Left-Right" and "Mirror - Up-Down" .

Whatever it is named , I would still request the temporary marker be added so at a glance the user can see that the image is currently in Mirrored orientation.
Marker_Alert_for_Mirror_mode.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

A marker would be great. Maybe a tiny icon would be enough, since it doesn't block that much of the image, but I like the idea a lot.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

I agree, putting a marker or an icon would be good.
I'll add it to the list!
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

done :)
TVPaint_flip_markers.mp4
(906.87 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

That's really nice and I feel kind of greedy asking this, but could it be possible to make it appear on the drawing surface or the notification bar on top of the timeline? I always use inlay view, since I try to keep the interface as much out of my way as possible.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

schwarzgrau wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 01:04 That's really nice and I feel kind of greedy asking this, but could it be possible to make it appear on the drawing surface or the notification bar on top of the timeline? I always use inlay view, since I try to keep the interface as much out of my way as possible.
It should logically go in the remote panel, as this is where all the buttons are that you miss in inlayview.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Peter Wassink wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 11:17
schwarzgrau wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 01:04 That's really nice and I feel kind of greedy asking this, but could it be possible to make it appear on the drawing surface or the notification bar on top of the timeline? I always use inlay view, since I try to keep the interface as much out of my way as possible.
It should logically go in the remote panel, as this is where all the buttons are that you miss in inlayview.
Sorry, it would take me too much time to add the markers on the drawing surface. But I added them to the remote as Peter suggested :
TVPaint_flip_remote.mp4
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 540 times