Easier "keyboardless" Pan, Zoom, Rotate for tablet pc.

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
spyderheart

Easier "keyboardless" Pan, Zoom, Rotate for tablet pc.

Post by spyderheart »

Hi TVPaint team,
I'm looking for easier ways to control Pan,Zoom and Rotation of the canvas while using a tablet pc with no keyboard or external buttons.

As far as I can tell, there are a few ways already to do this but they all introduce a lot of extra friction:

1. Use the navigator panel. Great for adjusting pan, ok for zoom (have to use slider or press +/- buttons). Doesn't allow rotation control.
2. Use the controls at the bottom right of the project view when not in inlay view (see attached image). These controls are great - probably the best short term solution - but I would love to have them as slightly larger buttons in a floating panel that I can put in the most useful spot as needed. Currently, accessing these requires you to uncheck "Inlay View" which adds a lot of other UI you may not need (screen space is precious on a tablet pc). Also, the zoom slider feels slow - you have to drag a lot for a little bit of zoom change.
3. Create custom actions using the various tools and key commands (zoom in/out, rotate +/= 15 deg, scroll up/down/left/right, etc...). This is my current solution that I am trying to improve upon.
4. There are free hand tools for pan and zoom but they require you to switch tools and then switch back to the tool you were using before - for me that's too much extra clicking and remembering where I was.

I've explored it with scripting and even external autohotkey scripts but nothing gets it quite right. I would love to see the features described in #1 and #2 developed a bit further and made more accessible - perhaps via an enhancement of the navigator panel that includes rotation and makes zoom more intuitive.
Note that this has nothing to do with touch gestures. I'm looking for a way to do it with the minimum input of just the pen cursor and nothing else - not even a side button of the pen.

Thanks for reading!
David
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-24 142001.png
Screenshot 2021-01-24 142001.png (9.83 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
Svengali

Re: Easier "keyboardless" Pan, Zoom, Rotate for tablet pc.

Post by Svengali »

TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Hey Sven,
I already use and love StrokesPlus! It's incredibly useful for basic mapping of any gesture to any keystroke (I recommend it in general to anybody reading). If I could figure out how to get a repeating keystroke out of it that might work for this case. Good idea!
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
TheQuestionMark

Post by TheQuestionMark »

Svengali wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 00:23 David,
You might have luck with this?
sven
StrokeOne Plus seems interesting. But can you allow a 'gesture area' only certain area part of the screen? I like to treat it like watercolor!
Windows 10 64-Bit TvPaint Professional 11.5.3 (64-Bit)
TheQuestionMark

Post by TheQuestionMark »

Oh I guess you can try this too.

Maybe faster and more fluid than mouse gestures. I don't have one. Your hands can be right front of the tablet.

https://shop.extremetech.com/sales/tap-strap-2-large

https://www.amazon.com/TAPWITHUS-Tap-St ... 450&sr=8-1
Windows 10 64-Bit TvPaint Professional 11.5.3 (64-Bit)