Mouse wheel to rotation

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
slowtiger

Mouse wheel to rotation

Post by slowtiger »

I just did a quick-and-dirty cutout animation, custom brush in stamp mode, and noticed that this would be greatly improved by utilizing the mouse wheel.

My workflow: create lots of empty frames/instances (otherwise the brush will not show up in an empty frame - if this could be changed it would also be great). Light table on. Brush in stamp mode. Stamp, forward frame, stamp, and so on.
Now when I want to do a rotation I need to call up the cutbrush panel, which is highly annoying if you have to do it often.

I tried to key bind the mouse wheel to both the cutbrush rotate and the brush rotate, but it didn't work.

So this would be very nice to have, to be able to scroll up and down to rotate the brush clockwise and counter-clockwise. Shift-scroll would be my choice. (And since we're at it: alt-scroll could scale the brush in the same fashion.) (ctrl-scroll (Mac) and cmd-scroll can't be used for this)

Thoughts?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Xavier

Re: Mouse wheel to rotation

Post by Xavier »

Nice idea, it would be interesting to have the mouse scroll as an action that you can associate to shortcut functions.
Yet we'll have to see if this is possible with TVPaint 11 ^^
Peter Wassink

Re: Mouse wheel to rotation

Post by Peter Wassink »

Hey Xavier, the scroll wheel is already there ( wheel up, wheel down) :wink:

the problem is, the functions are missing, we don't have an incremental rotation on the (custom)brush
we now only have this :

Brush Rotate +90 (counter clockwise)
Brush Rotate -90 (clockwise)

But to be able to do some usefull work we need steps like we have for the zoom rotation:

Brush Rotate +15 (counter clockwise)
Brush Rotate -15 (clockwise)
and finer:
Brush Rotate +1 (counter clockwise)
Brush Rotate -1 (clockwise)

i guess even finer the 1 degrees would be nice in some cases
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM