Default Framerate Topic is solved

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
deruji

Default Framerate

Post by deruji »

It appears that the default framerate of the templates has been changed from 24fps to 30fps, which is somewhat annoying because I have to change it back manually all the time when doing my exports.
The ability to set an overriding default framerate in the preferences would be nice.
The traditional 2D animator working with local and international artists.
You can help support my work to make traditional animation, here.
D.T. Nethery

Re: Default Framerate

Post by D.T. Nethery »

deruji wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 02:15 It appears that the default framerate of the templates has been changed from 24fps to 30fps, which is somewhat annoying because I have to change it back manually all the time when doing my exports.
The ability to set an overriding default framerate in the preferences would be nice.
+1 . The ability to set the default frame rate in the Preferences would be a very good feature . If it's not possible then the default should be 24 FPS .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I've defined presets with the 2 framerates I need and pick from them at startup.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

deruji wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 02:15 I have to change it back manually all the time when doing my exports.
Correct me if I'm wrong : the export framerate is set to the project's framerate, so this comes from the framerate you select when you create the project, right ?
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 03:23 +1 . The ability to set the default frame rate in the Preferences would be a very good feature . If it's not possible then the default should be 24 FPS .
Or just save into the preferences the last project settings that were used ?

[EDIT] seems like unpolished work. when you create a project using the startup panel, not the File>New project menu, the settings seem to be saved.
deruji

Post by deruji »

I'm also referring to the presets such as HDTV. When I set my export for HD resolution the framerate changes to 30fps, which it did not do before.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Yes, I had noticed that too, it's on the todo list for the next release.

So the default framerate must be 24 even for HD projects ?

In the meantime you can try to edit the file named pagesize.conf, in the 'data' folder of your TVPaint installation.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

deruji wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 19:16 I'm also referring to the presets such as HDTV. When I set my export for HD resolution the framerate changes to 30fps, which it did not do before.
Xavier wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 20:38 Yes, I had noticed that too, it's on the todo list for the next release.

In the meantime you can try to edit the file named pagesize.conf, in the 'data' folder of your TVPaint installation.
In my experience the default frame rate for theatrical and television animation is almost always 24 FPS. I realize some people animate at 30 FPS, but in my experience it is rare to work at 30 FPS. (because films made at 24 FPS are simply converted to video frame rate of 29.97 FPS ("30 FPS") using the 3:2 pulldown process and no one can tell the difference.) Animating at 30 FPS simply adds 6 additional frames you must draw for each second of animation without a noticeable boost in the quality of the image or movement.

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Keep in mind that in Europe TV work should be done at 25 fps.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

slowtiger wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 09:42 Keep in mind that in Europe TV work should be done at 25 fps.
Good point. I should have remembered to mention that.

But I have question about that: Just as NTSC video standard is 29.97 FPS , but almost all animation for NTSC television broadcast is done at 24 FPS and converted using the 3:2 pulldown process, is animation intended for broadcast at PAL video standard (25 FPS) animated at 25 FPS or is it actually animated at 24 FPS and then converted to 25 FPS for PAL video broadcast ?

deruji

Post by deruji »

The standard is 24fps when you look at it from a historical point of view. Film is run at 24fps in theatres, animation was done at 24fps. NTSC and PAL are old video standards for broadcast television, it was always a problem with one being 29.97fps and the other 25fps. Hence movies for PAL DVDs show movies shot at 24fps at 4% faster speed and highter sound pitch unless that was corrected, which was not always the case.
Nowadays with HD Television being the standard, PAL and NTSC framerates are obsolete, meaning movies that were originally shot in 24fps can be shown at their native 24fps. If you have blurays of movies you can easily check that, look at Disney's 2D animated movies, the blurays should be running at 24fps. Some studios send out their movies in 25fps, but that's because the people doing that don't know what they are doing.

I've worked several years in Quality Control and Postproduction on DVD/BR/VODs for a European company that authors DVDs, BRs, and encodes for VOD streaming services such as Telekom, iTunes, Netflix, and Amazon. The project managers often sent us material that was not always the best quality or at native framerates. There is no technical reason to use 25fps in HD, besides the fact that some studios want to put out DVDs for the European market or the handfull of people that never upgraded their CRT Televisions.

And we had cases where project managers tested DVDs on a 4K television and complained that the image looked grainy. Just to emphasize the lack of technical knowledge.
deruji

Post by deruji »

Xavier wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 20:38 Yes, I had noticed that too, it's on the todo list for the next release.

Thank you for the suggestion.