Keyframer should "see" Layers in Multiply blend mode from another Project

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

Keyframer should "see" Layers in Multiply blend mode from another Project

Post by D.T. Nethery »

This feels like a bug.

Here's the problem: I'm attempting to use the KeyFramer FX to composite an image from another .tvpp project into my current .tvpp project. I go to the Keyframer, select my other .tvpp project as the Source , but nothing shows up ... frustration ensues ... spent 20 minutes saving the projects, closing the projects, re-opening , reattempting to composite the layers using the Keyframer ... finally I think to myself: "is it because the layers from the other project are in Multiply Blend mode ?" So then I change them to Color Blend mode and then go back to the new project , and now the layers show up as expected when composited using the KeyFramer. That does not seem like it should be the case . Why can't the Keyframer "see" layers in blend modes other than normal Color mode ?

I would request that this behavior change so that when a project or layer is set as the Source in the Keyframer , it will be brought into the project by the Keyframer exactly as it is visible in the other project , whether it is in Color blend mode or Multiply, or Overlay or what have you. Or if the new layer has to also be set to Multiply then there should be a pop-up to remind the user that the blend mode of the layer must match the blend mode of the Source layer/project .
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 08 Mar 2020, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Peter Wassink

Re: Keyframer should "see" Layers in Multiply blend mode from another Project

Post by Peter Wassink »

This is a very old issue, TVPaint is not treating blendmodes in a WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet way.
everything is fine in the project but as soon as you export out of tvpaint or import it into another tvpproject tvpaint doen't deliver.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Hi, could you please provide a step-by-step scenario to reproduce this ?
Thanks in advance !
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:50 Hi, could you please provide a step-by-step scenario to reproduce this ?
Thanks in advance !

Sorry , I neglected to respond to this. Here's a simple demonstration of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGgvXvYBPbQ

Five layers. Four of the layers are in Multiply Blend Mode. The fifth layer is in normal Color Blend Mode.
Everything looks fine in the original project. Now I want to composite this image in another project.
I open the Keyframer and set the Source to my project with the Multiply blend modes, but only the layer
in Color blend mode shows up. The layers in Multiply blend mode are invisible to the KeyFramer.

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 14:50 This is a very old issue, TVPaint is not treating blendmodes in a WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet way.
everything is fine in the project , but as soon as you export out of tvpaint or import it into another tvp project tvpaint doen't deliver.
It is also the problem Peter mentions , when you try to export layers with blend modes (such as Multiply) from TVPaint , the blend modes do not show.

Try this: 3 layers , in blend mode Multiply, with 1 layer (line art) in normal Color blend mode. Export to PNG . The resulting PNG image does not have the multiply layers visible , only the line art.
Export from TVPaint - Blend Modes not Visible.jpg

But try the same thing with identical layer structure and blend modes from Photoshop and you will find that the blend modes (with transparency) are visible on the resulting export from PS.
Export blend modes from Photoshop_are_visible.png

This was exported from Photoshop , with the result that the transparent layers in Multiply blend mode are visible:
blend_mode_export_test_from_photoshop.png
blend_mode_export_test_from_photoshop.png (44.09 KiB) Viewed 13852 times

This is the same result exported from TVPaint (where did the Multiply blend mode layers go ?) --
blend_mode_export_test_from_TVPaint.png
blend_mode_export_test_from_TVPaint.png (32.15 KiB) Viewed 13852 times

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Bump.

I was wondering if the Dev Team could respond about whether this requested improvement may be implemented soon in v 11.7.2 or v12 ?

(or if it's just not possible in the current engine ? )