Autosave, Tooltips and keymap improvement suggestions

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
kpavicic

Autosave, Tooltips and keymap improvement suggestions

Post by kpavicic »

Hi,
I didn't see a point in making three separate topics so I'll cram all my suggestions here.
Most of these have to do with standard practices we see in other software.

Autosave: I believe this should be turned on by default with a time of 15 min (A reasonable save time). Most software we
open up today will have an auto-recovery method. Tvpaint doesn't have any failsafe, so at least this would help.
A possible recovery solution would be autosaving to the tmp folder and asking to open the latest one after a crash.

Keymap: Feels very outdated and a bit difficult to use. It's necessary to scroll to find a button and then look for an action.
Not all the actions are named as thair tooltips either (Ex. hovering over the play button will say "Playback preview", but searching
for that in the shortcuts will yield no results).
Instead we should have a list of actions and pressing them would enable us to press a keyboard key or combination.
The current setup also doesn't allow custom key combinations.
It would be great if right-clickng would enable us to assign a hotkey to a button.

Tooltips: They appear at the bottom of the screen, and not under the cursor, forcing the user to focus both on the
cursor and the bottom of the screen. Some menus, however, do show it under the cursor (Preferences menu). A button for having
tooltips under cursor would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for considering
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Autosave, Tooltips and keymap improvement suggestions

Post by Thierry »

kpavicic wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 15:19Autosave: I believe this should be turned on by default with a time of 15 min (A reasonable save time). Most software we
open up today will have an auto-recovery method. Tvpaint doesn't have any failsafe, so at least this would help.
A possible recovery solution would be autosaving to the tmp folder and asking to open the latest one after a crash.
There are pros and cons about having the autosave by default active and set at 15 minutes.
We decided at the time to have it disabled by default, and I know that if we change this, we'll have people asking to have it turned off again by default.
kpavicic wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 15:19Keymap: Feels very outdated and a bit difficult to use. It's necessary to scroll to find a button and then look for an action.
Not all the actions are named as thair tooltips either (Ex. hovering over the play button will say "Playback preview", but searching for that in the shortcuts will yield no results).
Instead we should have a list of actions and pressing them would enable us to press a keyboard key or combination.
The current setup also doesn't allow custom key combinations.
It would be great if right-clickng would enable us to assign a hotkey to a button.
I agree that the shortcuts menu needs to be updated.
Thanks for your suggestions!
kpavicic wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 15:19Tooltips: They appear at the bottom of the screen, and not under the cursor, forcing the user to focus both on the
cursor and the bottom of the screen. Some menus, however, do show it under the cursor (Preferences menu). A button for having
tooltips under cursor would be greatly appreciated.
Err... The tooltips already are under the cursor (tested right now with v11.0.9).
Can you post a screenshot of a tooltip being at the bottom of the screen?
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.