Tvpaint 10,5,7 pro/Visuals indicator showing wich brush is selected. Topic is solved

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Anim-Illustrate

Tvpaint 10,5,7 pro/Visuals indicator showing wich brush is selected.

Post by Anim-Illustrate »

Hello.

I am not sure where to post this. So I made a new post.

I am a Tvpaint 10,5,7 pro 64 user.

I was wondering if anybody know if there is a way in this version of TvPaint, to be able to show a selected brush?

meaning: I have a few/alot of brushes that are similar in my toolbar. And when I select one brush I do not have an indicator showing wich brush I selected.
Thanks in advance.
Anim
tvpaintbrush01.JPG
tvpaintbrush01.JPG (10.35 KiB) Viewed 239316 times
Tvpaint 10,5,7 pro 64 user.
D.T. Nethery

Re: Tvpaint 10,5,7 pro/Visuals indicator showing wich brush is selected.

Post by D.T. Nethery »

You need to make specific icons for the brushes in our custom panels , so you can differentiate between them on you custom panels. This would be the same in any version of TVPaint ( 8, 9, 10, or 11) .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Anim-Illustrate

Hey D.T. Nethery

Thanks 4 your reply. :D

Ok .so there is no way of making the selected brush icon highlighted when selected?..

I just see in V.11 when selected a brush the icon is sort of highlighted wich makes it easy and fast to differentiate .

Thanks again for your reply.

Anim
Attachments
tvpaintbrush04.JPG
tvpaintbrush04.JPG (19.92 KiB) Viewed 239300 times
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Oh, I think I understand better what you are asking now ... you want the selected brush to show as highlighted. I had thought it would be easier for you to differentiate between the various brushes if you made custom icons for them, but even if you did have custom icons for each brush, you want the brush to be highlighted when selected. I think it has to do with which interface colors you use for your TVPaint 10.5.7.

Here is a screen grab showing a tool panel in my TVPaint 10.5.7 ; notice the selected brush is highlighted.
Selected brush is highlighted.jpg
Selected brush is highlighted.jpg (24.62 KiB) Viewed 239270 times
This is the interface called InterfaceOSX.ini
There are many custom interface color designs available in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1313

Here is the one I use , InterfaceOSX.ini - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1313&start=15#p61525 posted by user "Lukas" . One of the others posted in that topic may suit you better. I believe they all have the function where the selected tool is highlighted.

Here it is with the standard "Mirage" dark interface:
Mirage interface TVPaint_10.5.7.jpg
Mirage interface TVPaint_10.5.7.jpg (25.74 KiB) Viewed 239267 times
Here it is with the standard "Lorraine's Sky" interface :
Lorraine Sky_interface_TVPaint_10.5.7.jpg
Lorraine Sky_interface_TVPaint_10.5.7.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 239266 times
After you have downloaded the custom interface .ini file , drop it into your TVPaint folder , then go to Preferences > Interface > Color Scheme , click on the drop down menu for color scheme and click on Open ... navigate to the folder where the custom interface .ini file is and select it.

Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Here's what you need to know to customize the highlight color for the selected tool icon...
The highlight color only appears in the alpha part of the icon image (its transparent background).
To change the highlight color for the selected icon, you need to follow these steps:
1. Open TVPaint.
2. In the" Edit" menu, press the bottom option: "Preferences".
3. In the Preferences Settings you select "Interface".
4. In the Interface Setting, you select the SECOND option (which opens a list of all the interface elements and their assigned colors).
5. 3/4 the way down the list you'll see "Gadget Stat Selected" - click on that.
6. This closes the list. You should now see "Gadget Stat Selected" in the second option with a color box showing the currently assigned color.
7. Click on the color box, then click on the color you want the highlighted icon background to be.
8. Click OK - you will see a warning that says "You need to restart TVPaint to use the new color scheme". click OK
9. Now, exit TVPaint and restart it.
10. To test: select a tool... you should see the color you chose as the highlight behind whatever image you've assigned to the tool's icon.

Some things to know. You can change any of the assigned colors to the TVPaint interface. You must exit and restart TVPaint between EACH COLOR CHANGE.
You will probably have to experiment to find out what colors are assigned to what interface element - it's very tedious, but that is the only method by which you can create a completely new interface color set.

Note that if an icon has no alpha area (transparent), the highlight color can't be seen. Some people design icons with 25% or 50% alpha, which then still highlights the icon for the tool which was selected.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Svengali wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 18:31
Note that if an icon has no alpha area (transparent), the highlight color can't be seen. Some people design icons with 25% or 50% alpha, which then still highlights the icon for the tool which was selected.

Sven
That's a very important point about the transparency of the icon. I forgot to mention that for the original poster. If designing custom icons for tools , make sure there is transparency on the icon so that the highlighting will show up .

Anim-Illustrate

Hello.
Thanks a lot for feedback.

Great help. :)
Wayne Carlisi

Post by Wayne Carlisi »

I am trying to figure out how to change the color scheme in the TVPaint interface. As I'm getting older, it's hard to see everything. I saw Aron Blaises and that looks a lot more comfortable than the standard interface. Any suggestions?

Also, to get better pencils do you need to upgrade to TVPaint Professional?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Wayne,
In the Interface Preferences, you have access to 2 predefined color schemes for TVPaint, the default one being Orage.

Just below is a collapsible menu allowing you to select an individual color for every part of the interface.

Regarding your question on brushes, the default sets are the same in TVPaint Professional and Standard.

Kind regards,
Probably a vampire
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Wayne Carlisi wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 04:06 I am trying to figure out how to change the color scheme in the TVPaint interface. As I'm getting older, it's hard to see everything. I saw Aron Blaises and that looks a lot more comfortable than the standard interface. Any suggestions?
Hi, Wayne ,

In addition to the two standard interface colors , Orage (dark) and Acier (light) , you can further customize the interface as Dean mentioned in his post above. There is also a topic here on the forum under Contents Sharing called Share your Interface Look! where people have shared various customized interfaces, so you might find one there that is more to your liking. For myself , I find the standard Acier (light) interface easier to see.

To install one of the custom interfaces from the topic Share your Interface Look! , first you must download the file with the interface file (.ini) , then put the .ini file into your TVPaint folder in your Library (this is for Mac, if you're on Windows , I don't know where the TVPaint folder is kept on Windows ) . Then go to TVPaint , to the Preferences , to Interface . Under Color Scheme click on Open to open a custom interface . Navigate to where you have stored the .ini file , select it , then click on Load. You then have to quit and restart TVPaint for the new color scheme interface to take effect.

Also , keep in mind that if you are working on a high-resolution monitor, the resolution scaling can have an effect on how readable the interface is. If everything looks too small, try changing the resolution scaling . ( in the Preferences under Interface , Resolution scaling , your choices are 1 , 2, or 3 . Try which one looks best to you ... if you're on a standard size monitor , just leave it set to 1 )
interface_scaling.jpg
interface_scaling.jpg (42.07 KiB) Viewed 220099 times
Wayne Carlisi wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 04:06 Also, to get better pencils do you need to upgrade to TVPaint Professional?
All the pencils function the same in Standard edition or Pro edition, although some special blend modes may not be available in Standard edition (?). But just in terms of normal drawing with the pencil tools , they are the same in Standard or Pro. Many customized pencil tools available in the Contents Sharing forum.

Wayne Carlisi

Post by Wayne Carlisi »

Thank you so much, David and Dean. You have made my life much easier! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wayne Carlisi

Post by Wayne Carlisi »

Het guys' hopefully my last question. How do I set up my timeline so when I scroll through, it lands on the first frame of a pose and not each frame individually? Again, I saw Aron Blase do a demo, but as I did what he was explaining it didn't work.

Thank you much,

Wayne
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Wayne Carlisi wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 23:32 Hey guys' hopefully my last question. How do I set up my timeline so when I scroll through, it lands on the first frame of a pose and not each frame individually? Again, I saw Aron Blase do a demo, but as I did what he was explaining it didn't work.

Thank you much,

Wayne

There are a couple of different keyboard shortcuts you can set up to flip between your keys/extremes, but skip all the frames between .

In the Keyboard Shortcuts you can set up Go to Next Bookmark and Go to Previous Bookmark, so it only will flip from bookmarked frame to the next (or previous) bookmarked frame , skipping all the other frames that are not bookmarked ....

OR you can set it up for Image Marks : Go to Next Image Mark and Go to Previous Image Mark.

See: https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... -bookmarks

and : https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... mage-marks

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... es-general

For example , let's say you set all your Extremes as a Red image mark .... so 1 is an extreme , then the next extreme is 19 , then the next extreme is 27 , then the next extreme is 33 , then the next extreme is 39 , and so forth. If you use the keyboard shortcut for Next Image Mark and Previous Image Mark it will only flip from one image marked extreme to the next , skipping the frames that do not have he red image mark. I set my keyboard shortcuts as G = Go to Previous Image Mark , H = Go to Next Image Mark (these can also be mapped to Express Keys on your Cintiq or to the Touch Strip on your Cintiq to execute the Keyboard Commands G = Go to Previous Image Mark and H = Go to Next Image Mark.
Next and Previous Image Marks.jpg
You can also use the forward and back arrows in the Image Marks Panel to go to Previous and Next Image Mark.
Image Mark Panel_arrows_to_Next_and_Previous.jpg
Here's the set up I have for Go to Next Bookmark and Go to Previous Bookmark , which used keyboard shortcuts CTRL+SHIFT+Right to go to Next bookmark and CTRL+SHIFT+Left to go to Previous bookmark (these shortcuts are mapped to two different Express Keys on my Cintiq, so I can use either the go to next and previous bookmarks method using one set of express keys or the go to next and previous image mark using another set of express keys.)
Next and Previous Bookmark.jpg
So those are a few options for flipping between Extremes, but skipping the frames inbetween the extremes.

For navigation forward and backward along the Timeline set up the . (period) for Next Frame and the , (comma) key for Previous frame ,
but also set up your Forward Arrow key for Next Instance , your Back Arrow key for Previous Instance, which allows you to navigate back and forth from one instance to the next or previous instance, rather than from one frame to the next or previous frame. Make sense?

See:

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... s-instance

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... -animation
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 19 Jun 2020, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.