image library

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Peter Wassink

image library

Post by Peter Wassink »

Today i was surprised to notice that the image library is project specific?

i have used it before, but only now i notice i cannot see the images i put in from another project... it doesn't make sense.

at least i want to option to share images globally,
maybe add a tickbox for each image in the library, to indicate wether it should be globally accessible?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Re: image library

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I certainly agree with the need to have the availability of global imagery if for model sheets alone so wouldn't it make sense to have dual libraries; one for global, the other project specific?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

According to the manual's discussion of the library, the library contents are specific to, and saved with, the project. If you have a GENERAL library that contain comprehensive materials that are not project-specific, then the size of all saved projects could skyrocket (or so it seems to me...)

The section of GEORGE COMMANDS on Guidelines contain a collection of options for creating and managing Project Library subfolders, and loading and unloading their images, from/to various sources.

Recently, using these commands I've been able to create the skeleton of an ARAP WARP subfolder manager that works very well.

A Cross-Project Library Annex
Using the built-in Library commands and some custom GEORGE scripting, I could see how a disk based folder (and its subfolders) might be maintained outside of TVPaint, and accessed (loaded automatically ) to any given project using a button/script for temporarily loading parts or all of the Library Annex. To keep Project size manageable the Project Save options might purge or exclude the Library Annex content during the save process, but still maintain its availability after a Project save. It might be a future feature in the next update to Version 11 or exclusive to 11Pro?

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Svengali wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 18:26 If you have a GENERAL library that contain comprehensive materials that are not project-specific, then the size of all saved projects could skyrocket (or so it seems to me...)
i don't agree, because i think this general library should not be saved with the project, it should stay within the configuration,... unless you specifically want them contained.
It should work similar to custompanels.
Custompanels are General and unless you embed them in a project, they are not saved with the project.
the custompanels are saved in the configuration and unless you delete them they are there when you open TVPaint.

If you want to make it a little more sophisticated,
Like Paul Suggested
'Then why not make a split library with a general part and a project specific part.
images in the general part are not saved with the project, but will always be available in the current configuration, and images in the project part are only there when you open that project...

Yes this sounds just like how i would love to see it work.
melanie

Post by melanie »

After studying all the different possibilities, it was decided to make the library relative to the project to facilitate the sharing of projects with their images.
That way it allows us to keep the same source of images for several clips.

If the library was common to all the projects, it would need to be located in the TVPaint configuration.
However, if you want to open the project on another computer and configuration, you wouldn't be able to find your images.

If the library was also included within the project as well as in the configuration, when sharing it with someone else, there could be problems of duplicates in the receiving library.

These different issues made it coherent for the library to be related to the project only.
Melanie • Animator
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

But would you not say my suggestion is better to have?
Your decision works for small projects, but not for big ones.

the problem can really be compared with the custompanel, you can choose to embed it or not...
if you open a project with an embedded custompanel and you already have this panel in your config you then have two identical custompanels in tvpaint

if this is a problem i would say fix this:
melanie wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 09:45 there could be problems of duplicates in the receiving library.
i work in a production with hundreds of tvpaint projects, in this case the library as it works now is not usefull.
melanie

Post by melanie »

The library doesn't have the same way of working as the custom panels, which can be exported and transferable as TVPX.
It is not the case for the library.

The possibilities for sharing a global library are being studied. But applying the same behaviour to the library than the custom panels will not necessarily prevent duplicates, but it can be a good approach.
In any case, it would require a large amount of work, for the interface as well.

Needless to say that we are considering your remarks.
Melanie • Animator