US government recommands uninstalling QuickTime for Windows

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Thierry
Site Admin

US government recommands uninstalling QuickTime for Windows

Post by Thierry »

TrendMicro reported that two critical vulnerabilities has been found on QuickTime for Windows, that could allow remote attackers to take control of infected machines.

The fact that Apple refuses to provide security updates for QuickTime on Windows has motivated the Official website of the Department of Homeland Security (US government) to recommand that QuickTime on Windows should be uninstalled :
Systems Affected
Microsoft Windows with Apple QuickTime installed

Overview
According to Trend Micro, Apple will no longer be providing security updates for QuickTime for Windows, leaving this software vulnerable to exploitation. [1] (link is external)

Description
All software products have a lifecycle. Apple will no longer be providing security updates for QuickTime for Windows. [1] (link is external)
The Zero Day Initiative has issued advisories for two vulnerabilities found in QuickTime for Windows. [2] (link is external) [3] (link is external)

Impact
Computer systems running unsupported software are exposed to elevated cybersecurity dangers, such as increased risks of malicious attacks or electronic data loss. Exploitation of QuickTime for Windows vulnerabilities could allow remote attackers to take control of affected systems.

Solution
Computers running QuickTime for Windows will continue to work after support ends. However, using unsupported software may increase the risks from viruses and other security threats. Potential negative consequences include loss of confidentiality, integrity, or availability of data, as well as damage to system resources or business assets. The only mitigation available is to uninstall QuickTime for Windows. Users can find instructions for uninstalling QuickTime for Windows on the Apple Uninstall QuickTime (link is external) page. [4]

References
[1] Trend Micro - Urgent Call to Action: Uninstall QuickTime for Windows Today
[2] Zero Day Initiative Advisory ZDI 16-241: (0Day) Apple QuickTime moov Atom Heap Corruption Remote Code Execution Vulnerabilit
[3] Zero Day Initiative Advisory ZDI 16-242: (0Day) Apple QuickTime Atom Processing Heap Corruption Remote Code Execution Vulner
[4] Apple - Uninstall QuickTime 7 for Windows

Revisions
April 14, 2016: Initial Release
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Re: US government recommands uninstalling QuickTime for Wind

Post by D.T. Nethery »

This is disturbing to see how Apple continues to let Quicktime die a slow, ugly death (without providing a new, improved alternative to QT) . It doesn't effect me on Mac , so I will continue to use Quicktime Pro for as long as it will work.

I suppose it isn't too big of an issue for Windows users of TVPaint , because now TVPaint is not dependent on Quicktime , using the AVI internal render or the FFmpeg to render to MOV .

A student who uses that other software (initials TB) mentioned to me:

"I uninstalled Quicktime and it interfered with the rendering option in TB . It doesn't let me render a movie anymore."

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

It seems that uninstalling Quicktime can have some weird consequences.

Adobe warns that uninstalling vulnerable QuickTime for Windows can break Creative Cloud
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Eric Scholl wrote:It seems that uninstalling Quicktime can have some weird consequences.

Adobe warns that uninstalling vulnerable QuickTime for Windows can break Creative Cloud
Yes, Adobe official announcement said Replace "MXF" for DNxHD/DNxHR or "VC-5" : baced "GoPro CineForm" from "ProRes".