Is there a way to get a micro dongle?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
schwarzgrau

Re: Is there a way to get a micro dongle?

Post by schwarzgrau »

Sorry to dig deeper, I know you don't like sharing details, if it's not definitive, but could you tell us what you're doing? I expected you only need to call gemalto and say "We need some of your micro-dongles" and they would be like "ah puh ... ok".
Apparently it isn't that easy, but could you tell us what is the problem ?

Oh by the way: BJTrakman nice fix. I'm still using Bluetack 1.7, since I can't afford the update at the moment.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Sorry to dig deeper,
No problem. I went in this topic: not to blame, but to add explanations.
Apparently it isn't that easy, but could you tell us what is the problem ?
I can't give all details, so here is what I can explain :

Our current generation of dongle doesn't exists in small format and is dying.
So we have to change and use a new model that has no compatibility with the previous one (or on only on a limited number of platform + limited number of OS, which is not acceptable).

It means working on (I really simplify) :
- the hardware itself (+ how to proceed to exchange the existing sold dongles ?),
- the source code of TVPaint to rewrite for the new protection system (no bug allowed !),
- the floatting licenses + hybrid network (Mac, Windows, Linux + VM)
- the way to download/update/upgrade the software (through the software + website),
- changing the installer(s) with the new drivers,
- the serial codes management within the internal database,
- the online store,
- all the links between all this ( + it should not break all the existing system to keep our tech support working fine).
- etc.

And we have also to think about the future software that will be create&sold, to make all this working in a long term view.
Fabrice Debarge
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Puh! ok... now I got a good impression of what has to be done, except of calling gemalto. Thank you a lot for taking the time Fabrice.
INSTAGRAM
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

you are welcome.
I wish I could explain the new options of the next TVPaint engine in the same way, but here it's really complicated and not allowed at all.

The good point in rebuilding the new protection system is that it should bring some new possibilities for the future versions (> v11).
Like having a software letting you know if it's not up-to-date and updating automatically if you wish ... or maybe sending automatically the bug report if it crashes ... or having one installer for both Standard & Professionnal Edition (less bugs !), etc.
Fabrice Debarge
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Sounds great! But does this mean the new dongle will probably have to wait till >11 ? Or is the new engine somehow separated from the dongle and will maybe even work with another security system ?
INSTAGRAM
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

no, the new protection system is for v11 so we will have more free people to work on the next big version of TVPaint.
Doing both at the same time is not something to do or we will fail to make something reliable.
Fabrice Debarge
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Thank you for explaining this all to me
INSTAGRAM
Animark

Post by Animark »

BJTrakman wrote:...But in the mean time I've found a very crude, but actually quite pragmatic solution using a certain kind of hub with a short cable and small USB connector. It's basically just stuck on the tablet with bluetack,
Hey BJTrakman, thanks for sharing your idea. I never heared about Blutack before - seems to be a good tool for daily DIY product improvements.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
BJTrakman

Post by BJTrakman »

Animark wrote:
BJTrakman wrote:...But in the mean time I've found a very crude, but actually quite pragmatic solution using a certain kind of hub with a short cable and small USB connector. It's basically just stuck on the tablet with bluetack,
Hey BJTrakman, thanks for sharing your idea. I never heared about Blutack before - seems to be a good tool for daily DIY product improvements.
I didn't see this until today. Yes, if you can't fix it with Blu-Tack and duck tape, then it can't be fixed! Don't worry though, I have the same naivety when it comes to sarcasm.

BTW, on Elodie's advice I just grabbed a 360 degree USB adapter. Still not ideal, but it beats every version of Blu-Tack I've tried...
newgamingspies

Post by newgamingspies »

Fabrice wrote: 14 Apr 2016, 09:34 no, the new protection system is for v11 so we will have more free people to work on the next big version of TVPaint.
Doing both at the same time is not something to do or we will fail to make something reliable.
Hi, Fabrice.
I was hoping to know if there has been any updates on the dongle-free and/or micro dongle feature that has been talked about for years.
Thanks.