Export question

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
David_Fine

Export question

Post by David_Fine »

Using TVP 11 on a Mac, I want to export a Quicktime and I get a limited palette of options, as pictured:
David Export.jpg
David Export.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 24246 times
But my pal Janet, who is actually using 10.5, gets a whole big interface when she exports a Quicktime. The picture here shows it, but in the pull down menu for "compression type", where it shows "animation" you can choose Pro Res and any number of other formats. Why does she get all these Quicktime options and I only get a very basic, unnamed choice?

Janet Export.png
Janet Export.png (108.08 KiB) Viewed 24246 times
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Fabrice

Re: Export question

Post by Fabrice »

you are using a 64 bits TVPaint and Apple doesn't support Quicktime on 64 bits so we use different methods (FFmpeg), while she is using a 32 bits TVPaint where all Quicktime options are available.
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Fabrice wrote:you are using a 64 bits TVPaint and Apple doesn't support Quicktime on 64 bits so we use different methods (FFmpeg), while she is using a 32 bits TVPaint where all Quicktime options are available.
David (Fine) -

What Fabrice said , AND ... the workaround is you can have BOTH the 32bits and 64bits version installed (just use one at a time, not both open at same time) , so if you want all those additional good old Quicktime compression options , save your .tvpp file (made in TVPaint 64bits version) , then close TVPaint 64bits version .... now open TVPaint 32bits version and load your saved .tvpp file . Now go to File Menu > Export > and select Quicktime , click on the little gear icon , and you'll get the wider range of Quicktime compression options (whatever QT codecs are installed on your Mac).

-David (Nethery).

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Well, that is very good to know! Thank you. So I will do that when I need to export final work, but can you also please explain what exactly the functional difference is between 32 and 64? I am using 64, but what am I going to notice over the 32 bit version?

P.S. I understand TVPaint is coming to Spark Animation in Vancouver. I will be there!
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

David_Fine wrote: but can you also please explain what exactly the functional difference is between 32 and 64? I am using 64, but what am I going to notice over the 32 bit version?
32 bit version can only use 3,2 GB of memory, while 64 bit version is not limited.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

How do you mean? It will only use 3.2 GB of RAM memory? Even if you have more installed? I guess that is not very good, so one should always use the 64GB, except when I have to export a movie for final use, right? In that case, I need to switch to the 32 version. Does everyone know that the 64 bit version is no good for exporting final work? Or is there some other workaround? What does the Lossless output give me in the 64 bit version?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

David_Fine wrote:How do you mean? It will only use 3.2 GB of RAM memory? Even if you have more installed? I guess that is not very good, so one should always use the 64GB, except when I have to export a movie for final use, right? In that case, I need to switch to the 32 version. Does everyone know that the 64 bit version is no good for exporting final work? Or is there some other workaround? What does the Lossless output give me in the 64 bit version?
Because Apple no longer supports Quicktime (for all 64 bit apps, not just TVPaint 64bit) , and the range of FFMpeg export codecs is limited for direct export to .mov, I would suggest using the Internal .AVI export. .AVI files exported from TVPaint will play on both Mac and Windows computers. For pencil test use the Internal .AVI in Motion JPEG mode , about 50% - 70% compression quality ... for better image quality and color fidelity use the Internal .AVI export in RGB or YUV mode . This makes a much larger file size than Motion JPEG mode , but the quality is higher. Although for lossless you could just use the Quicktime .mov option "Lossless" in TVPaint 64bit , which will use the lossless Apple Animation codec ... again a much larger file size , but it will have better quality .

David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Apple no longer supports Quicktime? That's a big surprise. How can that be? Anyway, I have been using the higher quality QT output for line test, which is good visually and not too big, but obviously I need the appropriate output for final work. But as regards 32 bit, I suppose otherwise it is to be avoided unless you are using a very old machine with not much RAM. I have 32 GB.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Apple no longer supports Quicktime? That's a big surprise. How can that be?
it has started a long time ago ... http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php? ... 608#p46602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fabrice Debarge
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Nowadays QT isn't just "not supported", it is rejected by Apple.
No app using QT is accepted anymore on the applestore.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hi David, welcome back from under the stone you've obviously been living the last years! *g*

Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9313#p85854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. As long as you do all your work on just one Mac with a recent OS (9 or 10), you should be able to exchange files without too much trouble.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

David_Fine wrote:Apple no longer supports Quicktime? That's a big surprise. How can that be? .
It does seem hard to believe , but it's been a long time coming (see references in posts above this one).

Some of us who can still run "legacy apps" like Quicktime Pro 7 on our Macs maybe haven't noticed it , but Quicktime is for all intents and purposes on life support (patient will not recover ... it's only a matter of time until they "pull the plug") . As pointed out , if Apple will no longer accept apps that use Quicktime in the App Store , what does tell you about how Apple regards the Quicktime format ?

What's really strange to me is that as Apple has chosen to kill off this great video compression and editing format they haven't really replaced it with anything equivalent or better.

ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

D.T. Nethery wrote:What's really strange to me is that as Apple has chosen to kill off this great video compression and editing format they haven't really replaced it with anything equivalent or better.
That's because apple is focusing on the *consumer* of media, and don't care any more about the *producer* of media.
The whole range of their products points to that.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

We clearly have some kind of disconnect on this because I see no evidence of lack of support of Quicktime and can find no articles online about it. Can anyone show me one? I use Final Cut Pro, Compressor, Motion and they all export to professional QT formats like Pro Res 422, etc... These applications, which use QT, are sold on the Apple Store, so how can it be said that Apple no longer supports QT when their biggest professional apps still use it? Where am I misunderstanding this?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

As of the Mac OS X Lion, the underlying media framework for Quicktime, QTKit, is deprecated in favor of a newer graphics framework, AV Foundation.[2] The Quicktime X player however is still included with the new releases of the OS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5