Anyone using Solid State Drive for Cache?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
pixelpusher

Anyone using Solid State Drive for Cache?

Post by pixelpusher »

I have too many "TV Paint is not responding" timeouts in my current setup. Am wondering if a solid state drive would work to mitigate this. Anyone tried this use of a SSD as a cache only disc for TV Paint, or have any recommendations? I'm running windows 7 w/8GB.
Elodie

Re: Anyone using Solid State Drive for Cache?

Post by Elodie »

Elodie wrote:When you have an issue with TVPaint Animation, please, don't forget to precise important details :

• What is your OS and its version :
  • - Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks), etc...
    - Windows Vista, 7, 8, etc...
    - Linux Ubuntu 10.04+, Debian 6+, RedHat Entreprise Linux 5+, Fedora 15+
• What is your OS architecture (32 or 64 bit)

• What is your software version (for example : Mirage 1.5, TVPaint 9.5.21, TVPaint 10.0.11, etc...)

• What is your software edition (Standard or Professional)

• For the Professional Edition of TVPaint 10 : What is the architecture (32 or 64 bit) ?

By the way, don't forget to repeat the details above EACH time you have an issue. We cannot remind the configuration of all our users :wink:
(to save time, you can write the information above in your sign)

Moreover, don't forget that the more you will give us concrete examples with images or downloadable files, the faster we could answer you.

And finally, don't forget to say "Hello", especially when you post in the forum for the first time, we are not machines ;)
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I just happen to be having them installed on both our TVP computers as I type. They are highly recommended and I know of at least two users who have them and rave about them.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

This weekend i installed an SSD in my aging(6 years old) Dell Precision, The whole machine now feels super responsive again.

I am very enthusiastic.
One of the main problems i had in using TVPaint was stepping along the timeline using the arrow keys, with bigger projects tvpaint often became unresponsive
with delays adding up to seconds.

And now even with very big projects it almost feels zippy i'm very happy.

Even though my systems motherboard is only SATA II, so in theory only allowing half of the possible transfer speeds, it was well worth it.
This minor investment buys me some time before having to invest in a whole new machine.

i got this one:
Samsung Serie 840 EVO Basic SSD, 250GB, 512MB Cache, SATA III
the added software made the transfer of my old C drive to the new SSD a piece of cake.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

I have one too, though not as a cache drive, but as a system dive and TVPaint's cache is on the system drive.
It's well worth it I think. Though I have an older system as well, it's very responsive.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:I just happen to be having them installed on both our TVP computers as I type. They are highly recommended and I know of at least two users who have them and rave about them.
Thanks Paul,
Will you be using them as system discs, or are you going to use them as cache only discs?
TV Paint's temp cache is ideally to reside on a disc separate from the OS and applications.
Best, Casey
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Same here now -- total zippy. My test was on a project 150% above 1080p, running at 24fps with long camera zooms from full format down to less than 720p and TVP performed like a champ -- not a single stutter or hiccup.

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't noticed the question. I use mine only for the TEMP file and it makes a whole world of difference.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Even faster, if you can spare the memory, is putting the TVPaint temp file on a ram disk.
But I've used SSD's for my main OS, programs, and TVPaint scratch disk for years now, and it's fantastic.