Weird right-click eraser is active while stylus pen in air

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Soom

Weird right-click eraser is active while stylus pen in air

Post by Soom »

I'm very often use the right-click erase option. It worked great for me and I got really used to this method, until I started using some custom tool, that I had to install because of our project. When I'm using it, and I right-click on my stylus pen, it starts erasing even when the stylus is still in the air! Then I discovered, that some other custom tools also do this, but some don't. I had to recreate one of the tools myself, because I just couldn't work this way - all my drawing was becoming crisscrossed by thin erased lines...
I tried to edit the tool, I tried to play with the profile editor for each setting, but this behavior didn't change...
Can somebody explain why this is happening???
Thanks
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Elodie

Re: Weird right-click eraser is active while stylus pen in a

Post by Elodie »

Hello Soom,
Soom wrote:all my drawing was becoming crisscrossed by thin erased lines...
I'm not sure to understand... Did you get that problem after using a custom brush + right click ? Did you get this when you re-open your project ?

Could you show your brush and a visual example of your problem ?
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I've ran into this in the past too when drawing or erasing and even now, when I use the upper rocker switch to toggle the light table, it works just by hovering my pen over the tablet's surface and pressing the switch. I'm not so sure that it's a TVP thing though because it happens when I use my pen to control Vegas. It could be some operating system setting too. Have you tried installing the latest Wacom driver? Elodie, there is nothing to demonstrate by showing a picture; the Wacom pen just in certain mysterious situations starts working if you press the rocker switch before making contact with the tablet. Another way to avoid this is to not press the switch before touching the tablet, but then if you are still pressing the switch while raising your hand, it keeps on working/erasing where you don't want it to.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Ok, thank you for your precisions Paul =)
Paul Fierlinger

Elodie wrote:Ok, thank you for your precisions Paul =)
HA!! It took many words. :|
Paul
Soom

Post by Soom »

Thanks for helping with the explanation, Paul ; )
I do have the latest Wacom driver installed, yes.
Right-click should work in every software while the pen is in the air, in close proximity to the tablet - that's the default functionality of the Wacom pen.
The question is, why with some brushes TVPaint recognizes tip pressure, while the pen is not even in contact with the tablet...

Actually there is a setting in Wacom options where you can choose if you want the right click to work without tapping the pen, or with it. I always used the first (the default) option, and it worked great for all I do. If I switch it to the second - Click & Tap option, then those weird brushes work normal, but all other functionality is just not convenient to me, because now I need to touch the screen with the pen every time I want to right-click... I hope I make myself clear? : /
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
Soom

Post by Soom »

I just discovered, that this issue is true to all the brushes. It was not evident to me before, because some of the brushes are set to minimal brush size 0. But as soon as the minimum size is higher, the issue always appears.
Therefore I refer it to the fact, that Wacom by default is set for the right–click to function while the pen is hovering (without the need to tap on the tablet, while pressing the right-click). But the problem is that TVP treats the right-click equally for any function, and doesn't make a distinction between using right click while drawing, and using the right–click for other functions, like opening menus etc. I'm not sure though if it's actually possible to fix in TVP software itself, :(
Unfortunately this specific Wacom setting is not available on a per Application basis...
yalih

Re: Weird right-click eraser is active while stylus pen in air

Post by yalih »

this phenomenon happens to me too!
is there a way to fix that?
I use a new 24inch 4k wacom cintiq - it did not happen to me in my previous 13inch HD cintiq
I wonder what is the setting that causes that, it is pretty anoying
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/yali[/vimeo]
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Can any of you tell us a step by step, straightforward methodology to reproduce the issue ?

I understand that it's annoying, but we have to determine at first if it's specific to some tablet settings, then we must reproduce the malfunction by our side with the debugging info turned on.
Paul Fierlinger

Xavier, this is a very old thread and I haven't seen this happen to me since it had disappeared (I think) all by itself. I'm surprised to hear it's back.
Sandra now said that it might be a setting in Wacom because there is some sort of hover preference there.
Paul
Soom

Post by Soom »

Xavier wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 16:51 Can any of you tell us a step by step, straightforward methodology to reproduce the issue ?

I understand that it's annoying, but we have to determine at first if it's specific to some tablet settings, then we must reproduce the malfunction by our side with the debugging info turned on.
Hi Xavier
Yes - I made some troubleshooting yesterday and found out this:
(I am on Mac OS High Sierra, Cintiq 22", TVP Pro 11.0.10 32bit (it happened also in 11.0.8 STD version), and I don't remember Windows behavior)

1. Take any brush
2. Make both Pressure and Power/Opacity Constant (alternativelly you can set them both to Pressure and raise up the minimum pressure point in the curve Profile — the result will be the same).
3. Draw something.
4. Hover over your drawing with right click pressed on Wacom stylus pen - voila, it will erase without even touching the screen.

Here I have recorded a video of the issue. It's a little quiet, but still you can hear when I click or don't click the pen on Cintiq: https://youtu.be/GTdOj1yR7XQ
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Thanks, indeed I reproduced it. Quite funny :D

But there's also a quick workaround : since there's no use of the right click in TVPaint, you can simply disable it in the Wacom settings.

It's apparently a weird side effect of the previous eraser management. I think it will be removed with the new 11.5.1 release anyway.
Padruig

Post by Padruig »

I think it will be removed with the new 11.5.1 release anyway.
Please don't remove this feature! I use right click as an eraser all the time. It is so quick and efficient, it is a fantastic time saver.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Padruig wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 00:12
I think it will be removed with the new 11.5.1 release anyway.
Please don't remove this feature! I use right click as an eraser all the time. It is so quick and efficient, it is a fantastic time saver.
OK, it's good to get your feedback. It won't be totally removed anyway but it will be more configurable, since it's related to the pen flip management refactoring on which I currently work.

I'm not sure yet if it's a side effect or if it was done on purpose, but I'll try to keep it.
Paul Fierlinger

Isn't this a Wacom built in feature under "pen"? I know many users take advantage of it (but not me).
Paul