Proxy and Preview Settings

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Gochris1

Proxy and Preview Settings

Post by Gochris1 »

Hello:

TV Paint has always always worked great but suddenly I am having problems.

My suspicion is that my Preview settings aren't right... does anyone know where in the manual the info about Proxy and Preview settings is? I can't find this info anywhere. I use TVP Pro 8.6

Thanks, Chris

If you are really curious about my problem here is the decription I sent to Elodie:

Hi:

I am having a problem. I run Windows 2000 Pro on a Pentium 4 2.53 gigaherz with 1 gig of RAM. I use TV Paint Pro 8.6.
TV paint is terrific - I have been using it for years and never had a problem. It works very fast and loading files is very fast too.

Then suddenly, TV Paint is not opening properly. Or maybe it is operator error. (It usually is!)

When I load a file into TV Paint, the file loads, but the Proxy indicator takes a very long time to "fill" with the frames.

When I create a series of ANIM frames, the Proxy indicator takes a very long time to "fill" with the frames.

Then TV Paint locks up - I press play and nothing happens. or

I go to the file menu and it won't open.

I have to wait 1-2 minutes or more until TV Paint will accept another command.

So I go to the Windows Task Manager and force TV Paint to shut down.

When I open TV Paint again, the settings panel comes up quickly, I choose my template, and the TV Paint Window with the artist appears. But the program does not open. Sometimes the program will open, but only after about 1 -2 minutes of waiting. There is some writing under the painting of the artist that reads "Tools 1: cb_12164.ini"

Where in the manual is the Proxy or Preview Settings covered? My suspicion is that I have the Preview Settings set too low or too high. But I am not sure what the Proxy does. Right now the Preview setting is 19.97 megs per second.

My files are 1828 X 1332, but I am also having these problems with lower resolutions.

I have removed the program and re-installed it 2 times. I have also re-installed using the "Repair" option. I am still having the problem.

All of my other programs are running fine - even ones that use large files like my Vegas video editing program. So I don't think the problem is with my computer.

What is the problem? What should I do?

Thank you
Chris
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Proxy and Preview Settings

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Herve usually answers queries of this nature, so all I have to contribute is that if it is a problem of Proxy and Preview nature, try turning the Proxy off and see what happens. Then the next thing to play around with is the Memory & Cache Tab in Preferences. Switch Cache usage from Automatic to Manual and set the Cache size to something small. Sometimes just switching something like this and going back to Automatic fixes it. Another thing (perhaps do this first) is to look into your Temp folder. If TVP is not open the folder should be empty... if it isn't delete what's there. During crashes files get left behind and can cause the preview to slow down. BTW, is there a free fresher version than 8.6 you could upgrade to? If there is, you should definitely do that. This is all I can think of trying until Herve gets back. Weekends in France are sacred cows (but not for too much longer I hear).
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

Thanks Paul for your help.

I have set the cache to manual. I have checked the temp file, and there's nothing there.

A simple way to descibe the problem is this:

files that are 1828 X 1332 with 380 frames and 4 levels are taking 2-3 mintues to load. Once they are loaded, when I make a change to the file, TV Paint locks up. I wait 30-40 seconds, try the change again, and the system locks up.

This happens whether I have the Proxy turned on or I have the Real Time setting turned on.

So my guess is that this is a simple fix, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks again,
Chris
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Hi Chris,
Does the text written in the splash screen is always the same (Tools 1: cb_12164.ini) when it freezes? In that case the custom brush file can be corrupted. Try to use TVP Animation without this custom brush:

- Go into Documents and Settings and file the TVP Animation user folder
- Remove the cb_12164.ini and cb_12164.dip files (create a backup of these files before)
- Do the same in the Default config folder in the install directory of TVP Animation
- Restart TVP Animation

If the problem was due to this file because it is corrupted TVP Animation should work properly now. If the problem persist try to re-install TVP Animation like this

- If you have some custom brushes or toolbar you want not to loose, backup them
- Uninstall TVP Animation and check the "Remove user settings" (or something like this) when the uninstaller ask you
- Reboot your computer
- Install TVP Animation again and start it

This will install a clean TVP Animation like the first time

Hope that helps
Ex TVPaint Team
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

Patrice:

Thank you for the help. Unfortunately, I am still having problems.

You wrote: Go into Documents and Settings and file the TVP Animation user folder
- Remove the cb_12164.ini and cb_12164.dip files (create a backup of these files before)
- Do the same in the Default config folder in the install directory of TVP Animation
- Restart TVP Animation

I did this, and now TV Paint starts up.

But I am still having my problem:
When I load a file of 1828 X 1332, it takes 2-3 mintues to load.
And then once the file is in TV paint, it takes 2-3 minutes for the proxy to load.
If I turn the Proxy off, one I press "playback preview" nothing happens for 30-40 seconds. Then the file might play back, but if I try to change the file, like draw a new frame, TV Paint just stops.
When it stops, several frames are displayed on the viewing area at the same time. (Maybe that is info that helps you figure out what is happening.)

If I start a new file and create a series of empty ANIM frames, the PROXY takes 2-3minutes to load the frames. (640 X 480)

I have Uninstalled TV Paint and Re-Installed it 5-6 times now.

What am I doing wrong? Like I wrote above, TV Paint has always worked great,then suddenly -- this.

Chris
Paul Fierlinger

Chris, when you reinstall TVPaint, are you doing it from a saved file or directly from the TVP website?
Paul
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

From a saved file. The computer I use for animation is not online.

So I used a different computer to download TVP 8.6.4 1173 Pro. I then transferred the file to a Flash drive, and plugged the Flash drive into my Animation computer, transferred the file to my C drive, and Installed from that file.
Paul Fierlinger

I think it would be worth the effort to try downloading it fresh and directly from TVPaint.
Paul
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

It sounds like something else is running at the same time as TVP Animation :?.
Did you try to defrag your disk ?
What does happen on a fresh formated HD ?
When it stops, several frames are displayed on the viewing area at the same time.
Very strange ... can you post a screenshot with the interface ? Is the lighttable activated ?
Fabrice Debarge
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

Nothing else is running. I will attempt to defrag my disc. This is something I've never done before.

What do you mean by a fresh formatted hard drive? I don't know what that means.

Thanks, though.

Chris
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

What do you mean by a fresh formatted hard drive? I don't know what that means.
I mean : doing a new and clean Windows 2000 installation. I had my TVP a little bit slower in the past, and all disappeared when the HD was reformatted, and windows XP reinstalled. I guess my system was not working well after 3 years of installaing / uninstallating several softwares, beta, plug-ins, service pack, windows updates, antivirus, antispyware, etc ...
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Please Chris, only post in the forum instead of flooding us by email and PM : we cannot take care of your problem if you write to several persons at the same time, we need to centralise the informations you and other people bring...
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

Sorry about that Elodie. I will do that.

Chris
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

it seems you have a problem with your hard drive. Hope it is a software problem and reinstalling Windows 2000 solves your problem. If it is a hardware problem, try to use an other hard drive if you can (at least to test).
Ex TVPaint Team
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Defragging the hard drive solved the problem.

TV Paint is working great now!

Thanks

Gochris