keyboard shortcut to uncheck "fill inside"

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Joost

keyboard shortcut to uncheck "fill inside"

Post by Joost »

Hi there!

I really like the "fill inside" option of the filled stroke/filled rectangle tool. However, I don't want to have to uncheck the fill inside box every time I have used this tool.

Is there a way to make a keyboard shortcut to uncheck the "fill inside" box?

Thanks!
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: keyboard shortcut to uncheck "fill inside"

Post by Thierry »

This is something that can probably easily be added for 11.5.2.

-> added in the list !
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Thanks!
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Thierry wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 11:53 This is something that can probably easily be added for 11.5.2.
-> added in the list !
Scratch that off the list Thierry... :D

tv_AreaInit FILLINSIDE 0
does the trick. HERE is an old thread about this thorny issue...

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

True, but for most people a shortcut is easier than a George command :D
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Good point! Shortcut key option makes sense...

Maybe a related todo list issue where the "fill inside" check box is concerned:
If you have a minute, could you jump to the linked discussion about the deeper problem with FILLED SHAPES? Many users can be confused If the "fill inside" box remains checked after selecting filled shapes. They just don't work. Maybe TVPaint should always automatically uncheck "fill inside" any time a FILL SHAPE option is chosen?

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Joost

Post by Joost »

Svengali wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 14:44 Good point! Shortcut key option makes sense...

Maybe a related todo list issue where the "fill inside" check box is concerned:
If you have a minute, could you jump to the linked discussion about the deeper problem with FILLED SHAPES? Many users can be confused If the "fill inside" box remains checked after selecting filled shapes. They just don't work. Maybe TVPaint should always automatically uncheck "fill inside" any time a FILL SHAPE option is chosen?

sven
Thanks for your reactions Sven.
In my opinion "fill inside" should alway be unchecked after you used it, when selecting any different tool. Don't you think?
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Joost wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 15:11 In my opinion "fill inside" should always be unchecked after you used it, when selecting any different tool. Don't you think?
Thinking about it, I now see that a user could legitimately have either of TWO, separate intentions when choosing a fill-tool.

1. The first would be to simply have TVPaint automatically fill-in any originally drawn, closed shape... be it a filled-circle, filled-polygon, filled-square, filled freehand closed shape or any of the various closed-filled-splines... if this is the case, the user must remember to make sure they first uncheck "fill inside" box.

2. The second would be intending to fill inside of specific, closed, but unfilled shape(s), on the current frame... by fully enclosing them using any of the filled shape tools listed above... making sure they first checked the "fill inside" box. And afterwards, consciously remember to uncheck the "fill inside" box.

So, yes, the state of the "fill inside" box remains the responsibility of the user depending on what the user is trying to do.

But if you accidentally forget to uncheck the "fill inside" box after using it to fill inside unfilled, closed shapes, you might wonder why, when you choose to draw a filled circle, it suddenly doesn't "work" (because the "fill inside" box is still checked).

And then you remember the button you created using the new, shortcut key command that was added to the 11.5.2 update , and click that to uncheck the "fill inside" box, and the filled circle begins to work.

Until the 11.5.2 update is released, here is a short script that you could embed in a button which will toggle the "fill inside" check box on and off...

Code: Select all

tv_AreaInit FILLINSIDE 0
parse result d OldFillInside
IF OldFillInside == 0
  tv_AreaInit FILLINSIDE 1
END
sven

p.s. On reflection, my suggestion to have TVPaint automatically uncheck the "fill inside" box when any shape-fill tool is selected... was stupid and poorly thought through, I take it back. :roll: