Multiply layer MERGE ALL

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Animationriver

Re: Multiply layer MERGE ALL

Post by Animationriver »

I have duplicated the layer with MULTIPLY mode.
Put it at the bottom.
Changed MULTIPLY to color.
Select the alpha mask on the layer.
Fill this layer with white.
And merge all the layers.
This works for dense spots and silhouettes in the image.
But it steals a little clarity from poorly traced soft silhouettes.

Thanks for your ideas.
We had a good conversation .. :D
www.youtube.com/c/animationriver
MAC OS Sierra 10.12.6 64 bits , MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 64bit
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 Мb
Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD Touch - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.37-2
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Animationriver wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 03:27 I have duplicated the layer with MULTIPLY mode.
Put it at the bottom.
I like the method to keep all the original layers structure with the blend modes , make a new layer on top , then go to KeyFramer , set Source to DISPLAY and Apply FX. This creates a new merged/composite layer that preserves the blend mode effects of the original layers (and has the advantage of leaving the original layers intact , so if you decide you want to adjust anything you simply go back to the original layers, make adjustments, then repeat the process of making a new layer and use KeyFramer with source set to Display to make a new composite layer.)

BUT the big problem with this KeyFramer method is if you have layers with blend modes like Multiply that are not on top of a color layer or extend outside the borders of a color layer then the KeyFramer does not "see" the blend modes like Multiply or SoftLight , etc. See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13271#p123816

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Animationriver

Post by Animationriver »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 17:03
Animationriver wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 03:27 I have duplicated the layer with MULTIPLY mode.
Put it at the bottom.
I like the method to keep all the original layers structure with the blend modes , make a new layer on top , then go to KeyFramer , set Source to DISPLAY and Apply FX. This creates a new merged/composite layer that preserves the blend mode effects of the original layers (and has the advantage of leaving the original layers intact , so if you decide you want to adjust anything you simply go back to the original layers, make adjustments, then repeat the process of making a new layer and use KeyFramer with source set to Display to make a new composite layer.)

BUT the big problem with this KeyFramer method is if you have layers with blend modes like Multiply that are not on top of a color layer or extend outside the borders of a color layer then the KeyFramer does not "see" the blend modes like Multiply or SoftLight , etc. See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13271#p123816
Yes, yes ... Doesn't see.
www.youtube.com/c/animationriver
MAC OS Sierra 10.12.6 64 bits , MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 64bit
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 Мb
Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD Touch - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.37-2
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 15:55
Svengali wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 15:20 In 11.0.10 it looks like the resulting CUTBRUSH with display mode checked including a multiple layer overlap works just like the TVPaint example you originally show comparing PS and all the other apps VS TVPaint. Is your CUTBRUSH result different David?

sven
The CutBrush method works fine for me: with Display mode checked, the blend mode layers are retained in the resulting CutBrush. - - Edit: NO, they are not. I was mistaken with the example I used. - - I'm using TVPaint 11.5 . (I presume it's been the same in previous versions of TVPaint, I just never knew about the option in CutBrush to cut a brush from the entire Display.

What does not work is actually MERGING the layers (rather than creating a composite image into a CutBrush or using the KeyFramer with source set to Display).
In that case only TVPaint has the merged results where the merged image is clipped . When merging layers with different blend modes (multiply, etc.) in Photoshop, Autodesk Sketchbook, ArtRage , the merged image is the whole image , it is not clipped as in TVPaint.

As in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8738

and my post above: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14122#p123743

Also , this: https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=13271

EDIT:
I need to amend my comments above , because I misunderstood what Sven was saying and I am also red-faced :oops: for misunderstanding how the blend modes/merging issue is not fixed by using the CutBrush in Display mode or using KeyFramer with Display set as the Source. I now see that Sven was pointing out that using the CutBrush method (with Display mode) gives exactly the same result as I had shown in my previous post comparing the behavior of merging layers in TVPaint vs. behavior of merging layers in Photoshop/Sketchbook/ArtRage. Svengali is correct. The CutBrush will clip away any parts of the Multiply layer that extend outside of the normal Color layer underneath it. I was using a different example (in this post) so I fooled myself into thinking that the CutBrush/Display mode method (also the KeyFramer/Display as source method) was picking up the blend modes . What fooled me was that my Multiply and SoftLight layers in that example were both contained within the Color layer underneath them. But in a case where any part of the blend mode layer extends outside of the borders of a Color layer underneath, the CutBrush does not pick up the blend mode , so it's the same old problem reported here with the KeyFramer not "seeing" the blend mode layers. :(

This shows the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdVhZHfw9SM

It seems to be something deep in the programming of how TVPaint treats blend mode layers that is much different from how other programs such as Photoshop/Sketchbook/ArtRage, etc. treat blend modes. This still requires attention from the programmers.

(However, I suspect it is not fixable in the current TVPaint engine , because this is a problem that has been mentioned by users repeatedly for at least 10 years or more. If it was fixable, I expect it would have been done a long time ago. Can someone from TVPaint confirm that this problem is or is not fixable in the current engine , or will we have to wait for the next major update of TVPaint with the new engine ? )

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1