Free hand selection tool issue Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
kartsuli

Free hand selection tool issue

Post by kartsuli »

Hey guys!

Has anyone else experienced problems with the free hand lasso tool? All the other selection options (polygon, ellipse, etc.) work fine, but the free hand tool doesn't react properly. Doesn't matter if it's on "add", "sub" or "replace", drawing a new shape either does nothing or the existing shape just disappears completely, clearing all selections.

- Win 10 home 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB Ram
- TVPaint Pro 11.0.10, 64 bit
- Gaomon PD1560 + driver v14.7.67.346, but the issue also happens with a mouse

I removed and reinstalled TVPaint, but that didn't help. I don't remember having this problem in 11.0.9, so if there's no solution, would it be possible to revert to that version and see if it helps?

Not sure if related, but I also get this weird noise whenever I hold down alt and drag the canvas around. It lasts as long as I have the pen pressed down (or with the mouse, until I stop moving the canvas). It's not loud, but kind of annoying.

Thanks!
Peter Wassink

Re: Free hand selection tool issue

Post by Peter Wassink »

Do you also have the other mentioned symptoms, when you use filled stroke drawing?

that noise is weird.
what is the nature of it?

i'm thinking is this maybe wacom related?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
kartsuli

Post by kartsuli »

Now that you mention it, filled stroke doesn't work if I have a selection active, even if I select the entire canvas. It seems to be fine if there's no selection.

As for the noise, it almost sounds like a monotone, low-pitched mosquito lol. It doesn't show up on recording, so I'm really puzzled. Maybe it's just my computer acting up?

Hmm, I've never used a wacom tablet on this pc. :? I should probably mention I switched computers about a month ago, but I don't remember if this problem started immediately or after a while. My tablet is still the same one from Gaomon, though.
kartsuli

Post by kartsuli »

Just an update: yesterday everything seemed to be working fine for a while, but then suddenly the problem began again after I closed and reopened TVPaint.

I tried updating to TVP 11.5, but the problem persisted so I reverted back to 11.0.10 (luckily I still had the installer). I'm assuming this has something to do with a driver and maybe not TVP itself? I tried updating my graphics drivers today but no luck. Any guesses what else might cause something like this? I know it's not that big of a deal, but it really messes with my workflow not being able to smoothly select parts of my drawings. :oops:
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

kartsuli wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 14:22 Doesn't matter if it's on "add", "sub" or "replace", drawing a new shape either does nothing or the existing shape just disappears completely, clearing all selections.
Ackward ... please try with the new update : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13927
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Peter Wassink wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 15:44 Do you also have the other mentioned symptoms, when you use filled stroke drawing?
Indeed, this caused a lot of side effects, more than expected ! yet only those who do nothing avoid making mistakes.
kartsuli

Post by kartsuli »

Xavier wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 18:38
kartsuli wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 14:22 Doesn't matter if it's on "add", "sub" or "replace", drawing a new shape either does nothing or the existing shape just disappears completely, clearing all selections.
Ackward ... please try with the new update : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13927
Thanks for the update Xavier! :)

Unfortunately the free hand selection still doesn't work for me. I guess it's most likely my pc or drivers since the update didn't help.

Not sure if it helps, but I made a little video to demonstrate: https://streamable.com/7y89dy. Basically sometimes the selection tool doesn't do anything at all, and sometimes it creates only one complete selection. Also the filled stroke doesn't work if there's a selection active.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Yes, it is really weird :shock:
Looks like the contact between your pen and your tablet isn't made properly.

Regarding the selection, I've been asked to change the default selection mode from "Add" to "Replace". But it shouldn't affect the selection mode if you manually modify it.
Does it work properly if you select, for instance, rectangles ?
kartsuli

Post by kartsuli »

Xavier wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 21:57 Yes, it is really weird :shock:
Looks like the contact between your pen and your tablet isn't made properly.

Regarding the selection, I've been asked to change the default selection mode from "Add" to "Replace". But it shouldn't affect the selection mode if you manually modify it.
Does it work properly if you select, for instance, rectangles ?
That could be the case, but the same thing happens with my mouse as well though. :(

And yes, all the other selection types work. Rectangle, ellipse, polygon, bezier, etc.; all except the freehand one. That's what really confuses me about this: why is only that one broken? Super weird. :shock:
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

ok, first things first, there may be something wrong in your config&cache. So :
- close TVPaint
- go to the application settings : type Windows+R, then %APPDATA%
- inside this directory which will open, there should be a folder named tvp something : that's the TVPaint config folder. Rename it (if you want to save it) or just go and delete it otherwise.
- then restart TVPaint try again the selection
kartsuli

Post by kartsuli »

Xavier wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 23:03 ok, first things first, there may be something wrong in your config&cache. So :
- close TVPaint
- go to the application settings : type Windows+R, then %APPDATA%
- inside this directory which will open, there should be a folder named tvp something : that's the TVPaint config folder. Rename it (if you want to save it) or just go and delete it otherwise.
- then restart TVPaint try again the selection
Oh my gosh, seems like this worked! Thank you! :D
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Bloody hell, I really must do something about the cache management !
kartsuli

Post by kartsuli »

Xavier wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 09:29 Bloody hell, I really must do something about the cache management !
I really appreciate all the hard work you (and the entire team) put into this piece of software! I'll mark the solution as the "accepted answer" now. :)
Xavier

Post by Xavier »