Cannot save!

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
David_Fine

Cannot save!

Post by David_Fine »

Help! I started working on a project for an hour and then went to save it, but the save dialogue box will not appear and it will not save or save as. I don't want to lose my work by force quitting, but what is going on and how can I fix this to save my project? I am on Mac Catalina and using TVPaint 11 Pro version 11.0.10.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
David_Fine

Re: Cannot save!

Post by David_Fine »

I ended up force quitting and restarting the computer and it fixed it, but I lost an hours work. Any idea why this happened?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Did you also try the "File->Save Project as..." option ?

Could you please show us your Preferences->Interface tab ?
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Tried all options, but in the end, restart of computer fixed it. Never had this happen before, so assuming it was a freak thing.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Sorry for the work you lost.

Still, could you please show us your Preferences->Interface tab ?
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Sure thing.
screenshot_3030.jpg
screenshot_3030.jpg (39.01 KiB) Viewed 15929 times
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Situations where saving didn't work:
- disc full
- disc not available (remote volume)
- disc heavily in use from another computer (like copying stuff from a shared volume)
- same file name, file in use (like in Quicktime, this happens all the time while exporting)

What I do:
- try again later
- try to stop other processes
- mount missing volumes
- try to save with different name
- try to export instead of save

If all fails:
- do screenshots.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

So, as I thought, you're using the "System" file requester. Which opens a system dialog box to choose where to save your project. So as mentionned by slowtiger, it's most probably a system failure that caused this.

I agree that the TVPaint file requester is not that fancy, but it could be more tolerant to MacOS faults.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Wasn't really aware of this option. So I changed it and now I get this strange looking stripy interface. Kind of PC looking. Are you suggesting it's a more stable way to save? Or should I just change to it if this problem ever happens again? Why is it there? I've not seen such an option in any other application on my Mac.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

This one is run by TVPaint, so it may appear when the system dialog can't show. Try it if you face the same issue.. . Lets hope you won't !

But in any case you may have something wrong on your system... Better find it and fix it
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

In all the years, this has never happened before and I would have no way of finding out why this is happening since it is unique to TVPaint only. Good to know that other option is there.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
elliscky

Post by elliscky »

same here! I upgrade to tvp11.5.3, I cannot save after 10 min work. I cannot export either. It said I am using the demo tvp which is wrong. I am using tvp pro 11.5 version. on my catalina 10.15.7
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, I contacted you via email.
We are currently investigating this issue, it seems to appear only on MacOS dongle licenses.
Probably a vampire
Micah Buzan

Post by Micah Buzan »

I just updated to 11.5.3 and now I can't save either.

I LOVE TVPaint to animate in, but you guys seriously need to improve your tech issues. And even the whole thing about transition from Dongles to no dongles..there was a complete lack of communication regarding this huge transition. I don't know if it's a lack of staff or what..but I want to recommend this program, I really do love it, but there are always some issues going on with this app that I never deal with using other apps.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Micah, I just answered to your email and message on another thread.
We have tried to reproduce the problem, with no success. This issue seems to have appeared overnight and only affects Safenet dongle licenses used on MacOS Catalina and only 1 user had it on Mojave. I think we would have heard of it immediately upon releasing v11.5.3 if it was completely on our side. We are working hard on fixing it, though.

Regarding the lack of open communication regarding the transition of licenses to dongleless, we explained it in another thread.
To sum it up: we want it to be progressive so we are not submerged by migration requests/the pandemic made every day unpredictable so we had to save time for other emergencies/unexpected MacOS issues (as always) had us release the system earlier than planned.
Probably a vampire