eraser and brush

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
hellofilms

eraser and brush

Post by hellofilms »

Hi,
I think this has a easy answer but I can't figure it out.

It in the worflow switching between pencil and eraser.
I wanted another eraser than the normal so I set a custom brush eraser and set that to shortcut E.
And I have set brush to B, which is the line tool.
Well, both are in the end same line tools but with differnet settings.
So when I have E and press B nothing happens since I already have the line tool.

When pressing E I want a specific eraser but when I press B I want the brush for drawing I just used.
or even better when pressing E the eraser i active and when releasing E I am back to last tool.

How can I set that up?

/ Mattias
Windows 11 - TVpaint 11.7.1(dec 5 2022) pro - Wacom cintique 24 Pro
Soom

Re: eraser and brush

Post by Soom »

Hi Mattias
this is super easy as TVPaint is very flexible and can be achieved in several ways depending on the result you want.
There is not really a dedicated Eraser tool, as in other software, but rather it's just a function of any drawing tool.
There are 3 main methods to erase:
1. If you are using any brush or tool, pressing the RIGHT-CLICK (on a stylus pen it's usually the side switch) will switch this same brush to Eraser mode as long as it's pressed. Releasing the right-click will turn it back into the previous mode. This is the fastest and the most organic way to use any brush as eraser. You can of course use F4 for switching to the same Erase mode, but you then will have to press F2 to go back to Color mode. So right click is way faster.
2. If you want a different Eraser, then you have to create a dedicated Eraser tool action (several of those are already preset by default in the Sketch Panels) and assign a shortcut to it in the Shortcuts Prefs (Edit>Shortcuts...). Just search for the name of the eraser tool you want, and assign a shortcut to it.
3. You can also use your stylus pen Eraser end (the other end of the stylus) to Erase. For that you need of course a pen with this function, like Wacom pen, and then you click with it an Eraser you want, and it will be remembered until you click something else with it. So each time you flip your pen you will have this eraser.

In my workflow I use the right-click Erase most time, and if I need to erase faster bigger areas, I flip my pen and use the Eraser tip. I always have all my brushes in the side panel so I can quickly access them without using shortcuts. I don't use the keyboard at all - all I need I have in the Pen and on the Express keys of my Wacom Cintiq
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
hellofilms

Post by hellofilms »

Hi,

Thanks for the explaining answer.

I am familiar with all the methods abd I nbow understand it it difficult to set an eraser like in many other software.

1, Since I am on Windows I nedd my right-click to show the meny in the software so I will set it to the other button on the stylus pen.
2. Yes I can but then I cant get back to the last used tool without pressing a new button.
3. Yes, I use that sometimes but it would be good if you could specify in TVpaint you main eraser.

I also have a custom palette where I collect all my tools , easy to select hem.- super useful.

It's just to find a good way to draw and erase and to avoid to many clicks in the process.

Maybe it could be good to update the eraser a bit, being able to set a custom brush as default eraser. And to have different eraser tools.
Sometimes you just want to erase light and sometimes every line. I sometimes use the lasso-tool to erase a bigger area. that is qucik and pressing B will get you back to the last used brush.

best regards
Mattias
Soom

Post by Soom »

You are not exactly correct:
1. Windows or not it doesn't matter - if you set your Pen side button to right click in TVPaint, you will have both eraser and right click menu - you don't need another button. TVPaint is built that way - one button for all. I use the other Wacom pen switch for the onscreen controls, which is super useful, as I can add more functions there. But on Windows there is a slight problem with that - the on screen controls don't work very well with TVPaint. So I am not sure if you are talking about this or not, but you don't need another right click - just one.
2. Yes you can - there is a command called "Get Previous Tool" - search it in the shortcuts. I have a dedicated keyboard shortcut for it, so I can go back to the previous tool anytime. I use it quite often. Although it has a little problem: if you modify your current tool a little bit (for example change size) it will register it as new tool, and will switch back only to the same tool before modification, so keep that in mind.
3. Well, for me it is absolutely enough - I usually set the eraser tip to a big soft eraser with pressure, so I can erase in various sizes, which are quite enough. I can also increase/decrease size while keeping the eraser tip down, so it doesn't affect my drawing brush in any way. So this way you do keep always 2 dedicated pen tips for each tool. You can also set the second side switch to an Eraser instead...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
hellofilms

Post by hellofilms »

Thank you for this info.

I will look into it more and I am sure it will help me a lot.

best regards
Mattias
yalih

Post by yalih »

hey there!
the solution I use to erase is to set the E keystroke to "filled stroke" and then I select big areas with it to erase
I do have a fantasy though, that one day it will be possible to have different brush sizes to drawing mode vs erase mode
so that the right-click command will be more useful while using a very thin brush line.
if there is already a way to make that happen ill be happy to know-how!
thanks
yali
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/yali[/vimeo]
Soom

Post by Soom »

yalih wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 11:35 hey there!
the solution I use to erase is to set the E keystroke to "filled stroke" and then I select big areas with it to erase
I do have a fantasy though, that one day it will be possible to have different brush sizes to drawing mode vs erase mode
so that the right-click command will be more useful while using a very thin brush line.
if there is already a way to make that happen ill be happy to know-how!
thanks
yali
Hi Yali
your solution is quite interesting for erasing quickly big chunks of drawing.
I didn't quite understand what did you mean by "different brush sizes to drawing mode vs erase mode" - do you mean that when you are in Erase mode by ckicking the right-click your brush would increase automatically? Or would you like to be able in general to control and set-up how the right-lick erase works? could you elaborate on the idea and possibly make a feature request? I can see some benefits to adding additional controls to the right-click function, but on the other hand it might add more hassle and time spent setting up it each time when you need something different...
thanks
yalih

Post by yalih »

hey! thanks
I will also post in the requests as you suggested
right now the eraser in the R click mode is the same brush, which is great!
but it would be greater if we can adjust the size of the R click eraser once, and then this gap between the brush\eraze sizes remains the same (also when you switch to a different brush)
as long as we don't change the properties, the eraser can be larger\smaller than its original brush mode.
do you believe it is possible?
in photoshop, for example, it works like that. you can increase\decrease brush size with { } keystrokes at the same time you are using the Rclick erase mode. it is then applied in the eraser and not at the brush.
thanks a lot
yali
yalih

Post by yalih »

regarding this subject, I have another question
sometimes the Rclick erases before I touch with my pen on the screen, just floating above it and it is erasing. and sometimes I have to make a stroke on the screen
what is the reason for that?
are you familiar with this or is it a problem with my Wacom Cintiq?
thanks
yali
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

It's not always the software. Tablets are made by various manufacturers like Wacom, Huion, Lenovo, and the actions can be customized using the tablet model driver.
Soom

Post by Soom »

yalih wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 11:17 regarding this subject, I have another question
sometimes the Rclick erases before I touch with my pen on the screen, just floating above it and it is erasing. and sometimes I have to make a stroke on the screen
what is the reason for that?
are you familiar with this or is it a problem with my Wacom Cintiq?
thanks
yali
Ohh, Yes! I've been struggling with this problem for a long time. There is a thread about it: https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=hovering
And by the way - feel free to post your issue there too to raise awareness, because nothing was solved since 2012...
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Soom wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 01:58 And by the way - feel free to post your issue there too to raise awareness, because nothing was solved since 2012...
Our company faced various legal issues. I think we'd have enough to write a book ! Still have hangover ... but we are slowly getting back onto our feets.
Soom

Post by Soom »

Xavier wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 19:25 Our company faced various legal issues. I think we'd have enough to write a book ! Still have hangover ... but we are slowly getting back onto our feets.
Really? oh damn, this is quite sad - what happened? TVPaint is the ultimate and my favorite 2D animation software. At work we now on Toon Boom Harmony and every day I dream that we could work on TVP instead!
But the lack of updates for a long time was quite worrying - I though there are some problems, just wasn't clear what... I just really hope they would be solved eventually, otherwise we would feel like orphans! :)
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Yes it's quite fine now, we have a lot of work to catch up on the delay and all the bug reports ^^

Dammit !! ToonBoom, our rival !! how can you use that ? :twisted:
Soom

Post by Soom »

Xavier wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 22:17 Yes it's quite fine now, we have a lot of work to catch up on the delay and all the bug reports ^^

Dammit !! ToonBoom, our rival !! how can you use that ? :twisted:
Haha, I cannot, but it's a production desicion, not mine, I voted for TVP )) so I have to suffer now. I hope you can put a better market competition in the future