eraser and brush

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Re: eraser and brush

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Soom wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 02:55
Xavier wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 22:17 Yes it's quite fine now, we have a lot of work to catch up on the delay and all the bug reports ^^

Dammit !! ToonBoom, our rival !! how can you use that ? :twisted:
Haha, I cannot, but it's a production desicion, not mine, I voted for TVP )) so I have to suffer now. I hope you can put a better market competition in the future

I do not like using Harmony for hand drawn animation (rigged puppet animation is another thing entirely) , I much prefer TVPaint, but I think a nice import script for importing TVPaint to Harmony, keeping all the exposures and layering intact would be useful. (similar to the existing TVPaint to After Effects JSON script). The script would automatically import and vectorize the line art when it is brought into Harmony. This would allow animators who prefer to animate in TVPaint to continue doing their animation in TVPaint , but deliver their scenes as Harmony files if that is what the production requires. (Usually this is because colouring work is being shipped to one of the big ink & paint service studios in the Philippines , Korea, or Taiwan who are set up to use a mass production ink & paint pipeline in Harmony.)

We TVPaint users can shout from the rooftops about how TVPaint is better than Harmony for doing traditional style hand drawn animation, but ToonBoom (like Adobe) is not going to go away. Better to have a peaceful co-existence than extinction , in my opinion. As a long-time TVPaint "evangelist" perhaps some will think I have succumbed to heresy and departed from the true faith by suggesting such a thing, but I think it just provides more options for independent/freelance animators who would prefer to continue using TVPaint, but must deal with the reality that Harmony is the predominant 2D animation software of the animation industry in the United States, Canada, South America, Korea, Philippines, etc.

I think such a script is not impossible. For example: Rough Animator (a software written and sold by one person, Jacob Kafka) has scripts available to import Rough Animator scenes to Adobe Animate (Flash) , or to After Effects, or to Toonboom Harmony. The script imports all drawings with the timing (exposures) and layering intact , from Rough Animator to Harmony .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This makes sense. Studios invest in software, but preferably only once. Once a workflow is established, it's unlikely to ever change. As a freelancer I have to turn down all jobs which require me to deliver in a file format I can't provide. Interoperability is a good thing, especially for smaller studios and freelancers.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 16:16 We TVPaint users can shout from the rooftops about how TVPaint is better than Harmony for doing traditional style hand drawn animation, but ToonBoom (like Adobe) is not going to go away. Better to have a peaceful co-existence than extinction , in my opinion. As a long-time TVPaint "evangelist" perhaps some will think I have succumbed to heresy and departed from the true faith by suggesting such a thing, but I think it just provides more options for independent/freelance animators who would prefer to continue using TVPaint, but must deal with the reality that Harmony is the predominant 2D animation software of the animation industry in the United States, Canada, South America, Korea, Philippines, etc.
I agree with you David : it'd be better to work towards inter-operability with the other softwares !
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I didn't want to mention it before he decided to post it , but I now notice that Cardin Collins has posted his TVPaint to Harmony import script in Contents Sharing:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14067

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Yes, I've seen that, another great work :)
Soom

Post by Soom »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 21:49 I didn't want to mention it before he decided to post it , but I now notice that Cardin Collins has posted his TVPaint to Harmony import script in Contents Sharing:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14067
Oh wow, I wish I had it some months ago when I was starting the current project! good to know!
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas