TVPaint Performance on OSX Catalina

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ChristopherC

TVPaint Performance on OSX Catalina

Post by ChristopherC »

Hi,

Anyone running TVPaint on Catalina, how is the performance going for you since the latest updates?

My current set-up is in need of an upgrade(I'm currently on a Spec'd out MacBook pro mid-2015, and thinking of upgrading to the latest 16'' model), i'm running Mojave and the now un-supported 32 bit version of TVPaint, though through trying the latest 11.0.10 updates to TVP on my current computer, i'm experiencing way too much lag, while the 32 bit version still runs perfectly.

Since all of the latest mac systems don't support 32-bit, i'm worried that a new set-up will be un-usable for using TVP. Anyone have any experience?
ChristopherC

Re: TVPaint Performance on OSX Catalina

Post by ChristopherC »

bump
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Christopher,
From a general point of view, TVPaint 11.0.10 has improved performance among Mac users, if you are experiencing lag with it, running it in low resolution mode can fix the issue, as well as resetting the TVPaint config.

Here is how to delete the config file on MacOS:

It is located in Library > tvp animation 11/pro > default > config.ini (name of the file you have to delete, you can of course create a backup of it or backup all your custom brushes/panels before deleting).

But the system Library folder is hidden by default on MacOS, you can follow this guide to reveal it:

https://www.noterepeat.com/articles/how ... ry-folders
Probably a vampire
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

i've tried the low resolution mode and deleting the config file, unfortunately there's still a huge amount of performance issues on my end, and other general bugs. The 32 bit version still works perfectly for me though, guess i'm stuck on old hardware for the time being. I've been looking for answers regarding the problems with 64-bit for the past 2 years, i'm still holding out on buying newer hardware because newer mac's don't support 32-bit (hence looking for peoples experiences in this thread). none-the-less, hopefully TVPaint 12 will bring a fix.

Also, a warning for anyone else seeking help for this, don't rush into removing the config file. Deleting it removes all of your custom panels and preferences, and once you bring your old config file back, any custom brushes you made will revert to blank, potentially a big pain if you don't have backups.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello again,
May I ask which tablet model you are using?

I added a reminder to backup one's custom brushes and panels before deleting the config in my previous post.
Probably a vampire
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

Awesome, i'm alternating between a cintiq pro 24 and a cintiq 13hd. I haven't identified any differences in performance between the two, and the behaviour seems to be the same also when using a mouse or trackpad :/
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Even with a mouse? This is something else! Thanks for the info.
Probably a vampire
bauch

Post by bauch »

Hello,

I also have performance problems on Catalina, a lag of the brush. Just from time to time, but often enough to destroy the usability.

I work on a MacBook Pro 2017, 2.9GHz Quad-Core i7, Radeon Pro 560 4 GB/ Intel HD Graphics 630, with Catalina 10.15.5, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.

This is on TVPaint 11.0.10. On the pevious version I had the other lag problems that is solved in the meantime. The last time it worked ok was on 11.0.08 I think.

I tried the tricks you recommend, reseting TVPaint, starting in low Resolution mode. I also Tested to switch the resolution of the Cintiq screen down to something low resolution, didn't help.