Brush tool lagging

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
mcohen23

Brush tool lagging

Post by mcohen23 »

My brush tool is lagging when I increase the speed of my stroke. This only seems to happen when the pressure sensitivity is on. I contacted the company and they said to try and launch it in low resolution mode, but I can't figure out how. Any help would be appreciated!
artfx

Re: Brush tool lagging

Post by artfx »

Are you on the Mac?
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

mcohen23 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 21:17 I contacted the company and they said to try and launch it in low resolution mode, but I can't figure out how.
In Applications, right-click on the TVPaint application , choose Get Info. Put a check mark next to Open in Low Resolution.
Open In Low Resolution Mode.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
HannuriYu

Post by HannuriYu »

I don't know this helps but I'm sharing what I found out.

I'm using mcbook pro 16" with 32GB memory and the best graphic card choice. I recently found I have an issue with lagging when I draw. It wasn't in high resolution setting and also not special brush.
It was just basic pen brush on 1920x1080 drawing panel.

The thing is that I didn't have lagging issue before but it happened just a month ago suddenly. I thought it's because of recent upgrade of TVPaint but there is no way to download previous version.
I thought maybe it's memory issue so that I raise usage of memory up to 24gb only for TVPaint in preference. but it's still lagging. I was frustrated.

Then I thought it's weird that the lagging issue came from nowhere suddenly even if I didn't change any software or hardware since I bought Mcbook pro in March.
I found one difference. It is multi screen. A month ago, I bought extra high resolution monitor for having enough screen room. Before I purchase monitor, my display setting was mirror mode (every screen is same screen) and I didn't have lagging issue. As soon as I noticed, I turned off the monitor and change display setting into 'mirror mode'. Then boom, no lagging even if how fast I move my brush. I think issue is coming from having multiple screens. Since every screen has different color, resolution limit and setting on its own, computer itself may take more time to calculate things than having just one screen setting. I'm not a computer guy. This is just my thought.

I attach screenshot images. you could have better resolution when you optimize your screen on your Cintiq.

I will use mirror mode when I use TVPaint from now on. I hope everybody solves lagging problem with this.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 12.30.12 AM.png
vaughan-ls

Post by vaughan-ls »

Hello,

Are there any updates on this?

Mirroring the display works, but I need to see my other screen.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

As said before, the higher the resolution the more pixels TVPaint has to deal with... so yes, working in HD has a cost.
Monsieur U

Post by Monsieur U »

Hi I'm having the same issue on my somewhat old Imac (3,4 Ghz core i7, 16Go RAM, GPU ATI Radeon 4850 512 Mo, running on OSX 10.11.6), with a wacom cintiq 16.

Th way I found to mitigate the problem is to set the resolution of the cintiq at 1080p. Some lag still happen but not as often as on higher resolutions. I've just dowwnloaded TVP STD 11.0.10 but I cannot find the option you refer to as " new settings that allows 'rolling back to the previous version drawing mode' on the Mac version." Where can I find this please ?

Now it's a shame to have a 4K display and not being able to use it at its fullest, so any solution to at least be able to switch to a higher res without working on a slideshow would be appreciated !
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, I sent you a link via PM ;)
Probably a vampire
Monsieur U

Post by Monsieur U »

PM back :)
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Monsieur U wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 14:29 Now it's a shame to have a 4K display and not being able to use it at its fullest, so any solution to at least be able to switch to a higher res without working on a slideshow would be appreciated !
As explained previously, more pixels on the screen mean more pixels to manage by TVPaint. The lag is like a traffic jam of data !

You'd need to upgrade to the latest version (available in your TVPaint account) to have the switch, it's not in the v11.0.10.
PaulBushArt

Post by PaulBushArt »

Xavier wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 20:58 You'd need to upgrade to the latest version (available in your TVPaint account) to have the switch, it's not in the v11.0.10.
I'm curious about this statement as 11.0.10 is the latest version I have in my account download? Is there a newer version available?

Thanks,
Paul
daninski

Post by daninski »

Xavier wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 20:58

As explained previously, more pixels on the screen mean more pixels to manage by TVPaint. The lag is like a traffic jam of data !

I know I keep reading this, but I made my film in4k with no brush lag in an older version of TVP11 pro on the mac, with the updated version it has trouble with standard HD, so I think the explanation that more pixels = more work is applicable in this situation as an explanation. It's clear something in the updates has created the hard work.
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'd like to add as data point that I don't experience any brush lagging while working in 4K in TVP 10.5 on a 2008 Mac Pro with 8 GB RAM in OS 10.6.8.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Ok, sorry I was obviously too quick to answer : it's not especially about the screen resolution but rather the screen density, aka Retina

Tell me if I'm wrong : the previous versions work in "non-Retina" (so called "low resolution") mode, right ?
daninski

Post by daninski »

I animated 4k on a 2019 MacBook pro with a retina, and an iMac 32" 2013 without. No lag with either of them on the old version. Both have lag with the new version.
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.