Brush Blending Multiply Mode not Working on Transparency

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
TheQuestionMark

Brush Blending Multiply Mode not Working on Transparency

Post by TheQuestionMark »

I feel dumb and I think switch the settings off where you you can paint on transparency with multiply blending mode. I don't know how to turn it back on. Can you please help?

I tried Clip Paint and you can use blending mode multiply on transparency. Is there a problem with my settings on TVPaint?

For some reason you can do it "Add" blending mode but you can't do it in "Sub" Mode in TVPaint. I also need for Sub Blending Mode too.
Windows 10 64-Bit TvPaint Professional 11.5.3 (64-Bit)
jon2

Re: Brush Blending Multiply Mode not Working on Transparency

Post by jon2 »

All I can say is same here. This makes working with a multiply mode brush very complicated. I was hoping there was a workaround. Guess not?
The only thing I can think of of is inverted colors and add, and then inverting everything back again in After Effects haha
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Jon, I saw your email.
It seems that PS and CSP treat transparency on layers as if it was a white background, so the user is able to use some blending modes on their brush with less restrictions.
This something TVPaint could replicate, I will inform the dev team.
Probably a vampire
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Dean wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 09:53 Hello Jon, I saw your email.

It seems that PS and CSP treat transparency on layers as if it was a white background, so the user is able to use some blending modes on their brush with less restrictions.

This something TVPaint could replicate, I will inform the dev team.
I am hopeful that this behavior for blend modes (as per Photoshop or CSP) can be implemented in TVPaint. I hope that this is also the solution to the vexing issue of blend modes such as Multiply not showing up on Exported single images or image sequences , and the KeyFramer not being able to see blend modes used on source layers , as reported here:

FEATURE IMPROVEMENT REQUEST: Keyframer should "see" Layers in Multiply blend mode from another Project -
viewtopic.php?p=123819

and here:

Multiply Blend Mode Difference - (Multiply blend mode is not displayed when exporting with transparent background)
viewtopic.php?t=13223

and:

Blend Mode Layers Merge Bug -
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8738

When using layers with blend modes such as multiply, sub, add, etc, and then merge those layers, something strange happens. The layers seem to behave as if a mask in present and cuts off part of the image from the blend layer. This does not happen in Photoshop, Sketchbook, Clip Studio Paint or other apps that use layer blending modes when the layers are merged, only TVPaint.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello David, I have noted your suggestion and will discuss them with the dev team later this week. Thank you.
Probably a vampire