transparent mask? caracter passing behind a tree / animation + video

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ACHE

transparent mask? caracter passing behind a tree / animation + video

Post by ACHE »

Hi ! I am new in the forum and with TVPaint :)
I hope someone can help me with this:
I am animating a caracter with simple white lines who is walking. Under it, I uploaded a movie of a forest to make it walk in the forest. The movie is a "travelling" shot, so the trees are moving from the left to the right. Now I am looking for a way to hide the caracter to give the effect that it passes behind some of the trees. I guess I need to create some kind of a mask that is transparent and would only affect the caracter and not the video of the forest under it. And then I'd need to create a tracking effect to make the mask follow the movement of the tree, which I already know how to do it with the path tool and then the tracking tool.
I hope I'm clear :) I guess my main problem is that I can't figure out how this kind of effect would be called, so I couldn't find any tutorials to learn how to do this...
Thank you for your help!
I attached a sample of the video of the forest and a rough screenshot of the effect I want on the caracter.

• What is your OS and its version :

10.10 (Yosemite)

• What is your OS architecture (32 or 64 bit) + CPU type and amount of RAM.: 64 bit,...

• What is your software version (for example : Mirage 1.5, TVPaint 9.5.21, TVPaint 10.0.11, etc...): TVPaint Pro 11

• What is your software edition (Standard or Professional) : PRO

• For the Professional Edition : What is the architecture (32 or 64 bit) ? 64 bit

• What is your Wacom (or other brand) Tablet and drivers version ? Wacom Bamboo
Attachments
Sans titre.mov
(4.42 MiB) Downloaded 909 times
Capture d’écran 2020-02-13 à 10.12.13.png
slowtiger

Re: transparent mask? caracter passing behind a tree / animation + video

Post by slowtiger »

Fastest way:
New layer, paint that tree with a broad brush in all frames where it obscures the character.
Duplicate forest layer and put on top.
Use new painted layer as mask and erase all around it from 2nd forest layer.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
ACHE

Re: transparent mask? caracter passing behind a tree / animation + video

Post by ACHE »

Thank you Slowtiger!
I am going to try that right now. I am also gonna ask a friend to see of there's another even faster way maybe with After Effects, and if it is the case, I'll post it here as well!