Crashing on Save

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Janet Perlman

Crashing on Save

Post by Janet Perlman »

TVPaint crashes while saving. I save often, but a few times a day it crashes and I lose my work. There is always a temp file of 8.3 MB in the folder (my project is about 100MB) which is unusable. I have set up autosave every 12 minutes, but that is a mystery to me. There has never once been a file that I can use or is more recent than the one previously saved. It seems to auto save at random intervals, after 3 minutes, after 4 hours. I am using v. 11.0.8, 32bit. The problem also happens with 64 bit. I had upgraded to the more recent version, but that crashed all the time, and I had other problems too. I am working on two systems - Mac with High Sierra, and Mac with Mojave. Same problem on both systems. So why am I crashing, and why does the auto-save behave so strangely? Thanks.
slowtiger

Re: Crashing on Save

Post by slowtiger »

Where is it saving to: internal drive, or external?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

Internal. I have no problems with any other problems, and this is a consistent daily problem with TVPaint. It seems to happen on both systems.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

That's odd, TVP is one of my most stable programs. OK, I can only guess:
- any other software running at the same time?
- same problem with any other program (like Photoshop)?
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

I do not have this problem with any other software. I use photoshop and other adobe programs. Another possible clue is that whenever I quit, I get an error message that says that TVP quit unexpectedly.
That's a very interesting thought about the drive, though. I am not sure if at the otehr studio it is exactly the same thing. But the crash always occurs at the same moment - and the file I am left with is always 8.3 MB, regardless of the size of the scene, which is much larger. And it happens with autosave, or when I manually save. And I do manually save a lot, because the auto-save is not working properly. Could this happen if it keeps going to a bad sector ont he drive? Most of the time it does not crash, though.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This is just waving dead chickens, but you could try and create some 10 MB files in Photoshop and save, then try TVP again.

Does ist happen when you just save, or also when you save with a completely new name?

And of course the dreaded support question: how much free space is on that drive?
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

Thanks so much. There is plenty of drive space. I am not using photoshop at the same time. I'm sure it's not related. The problem is that it is intermittenrt. I cxan spend all day making and saving files. It happened once today. I imagine I save maybe 15 times before. This time it crashed at the start of an autosave. I think I will doublecheck my system at my home studio. I could have checked my trash, where normally I might see a bunch of TVP temp files of 8.3 MB, but I just emptied the trash. But here I can see that it crashes once a day, but sometimes more. I will also try chickens.
daninski

Post by daninski »

I have something to add to this, although only slightly related but it might be worth a try...

I've found if I close TVP with the universal keyboard shortcut (command + Q) it'll crash, but if I use the TVP keyboard shortcut (shift + Q) It doesn't crash.

My question is does it crash with save or save as... if you go through thew menu rather than the keyboard shortcut?
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

That is strange. Definitely not my problem, because it was crashing on auto save, and it crashed only sometimes. But I think the issue is now resolved, as I had been using the 32 bit version, which had always worked in the past, but somehow stopped, even though I changed nothing in my system. So I am sticking to 64bit, and I am not using the most recdent upgrade because of drawing latency problems on this computer.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

It is possible that with the 32 bit version, the application reached the 4 Gb limit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit_computing).

If it works for you, please keep using the 64 bit version.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 11:10 It is possible that with the 32 bit version, the application reached the 4 Gb limit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit_computing).

If it works for you, please keep using the 64 bit version.
I've noticed a similar issue in the past when working with very large files (over 4 GB) in the 32 bit version. Most of the time I only use the 32 bit version for the purpose of Exporting when I absolutely must use a specific Quicktime video compression codec , instead of the FFMpeg codec used by the 64 bit version. So I finish my work in the 64 bit version (very stable, v 11.0.8 ) save it , create a back up copy , then open it in the 32 bit version , not to work on it , but only for Export to Quicktime .mov . I can usually do this even if the file is slightly over 4 GB . If it crashes , it's a minor inconvenience because I've already saved it and backed it up .
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 23 Jan 2020, 15:30, edited 2 times in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 13:30 I've noticed a similar issue in the past when working with very large files (over 4 GB) in the 32 bit version. Most of the time I only use the 32 bit version for the purpose of Exporting when I absolutely must use a specific Quicktime video compression codec , instead of the FFMpeg codec used by the 64 bit version. So I finish my work in the 64 bit version (very stable, v11.0.8) save it , create a back up copy , then open it in the 32 bit version , not to work on it , but only for Export to Quicktime .mov . I can usually do this even if the file is slightly over 4 GB . If it crashes , it's a minor inconvenience because I've already saved it and backed it up .
Thanks for the tip :)
I don't think that it is related to the file size, though it is already a good hint. In my opinion it would be more related to the amount of in-memory data required to produce the output (whatever the output is - tvpp, Quicktime or other format).
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I somehow doubt that the actual file size is a factor since I've successfully worked with an 11 GB file in TVP v9.