Video In for Stopmotion / Camera Connection

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Chlorid

Video In for Stopmotion / Camera Connection

Post by Chlorid »

Hi TechSupport

I try to use the Video In Funktion to use Stopmotion for my work. I usually only draw, but this time it is essential that i connect a camera for the stop motion part. When i open the Video Input Window, i can't select my camera, and TVPaint doesn't even catch the Video of my inbuild Camera. My two options are Movie Grabber and None, and if I select Settings, nothing happends.

Here are the specifics
TVP 11 Pro (11.0.8-32bits)

MacOS Mojave Version 11.14.5
Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch
AMD Radeon R9

And I used two cameras already
Sony SLT-A58 and Ricoh GR II

I used HMDI cabel with a Micro HDMI to HDMI adapter (bought today)
(I tried to connect the camera to my old Macbook Pro 2009 with OS 10.11.6, where I can see the inbuild camera liveview (so there it works, but no SLT-A58 camera.. and after 20 seconds TVPaint shuts down)

I tried with the memory card in and out, tried different hdmi cabels. but nothing. I appreciate your help.
Best Dominique
D.T. Nethery

Re: Video In for Stopmotion / Camera Connection

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Hopefully someone from TVPaint can answer the question.

I can tell you from my end, using TVPaint 11.0.8 Pro (64bits) on Mac OS 10.12 Sierra Macbook pro Retina 15 inch, I can still get Video In with my Logitech C930 webcam to show up (it sees the camera and I see a preview image) , but I notice something very odd now ... When I click on Grab Input (or Tab shortcut key for Grab Input) it does not grab a frame from the camera , but only creates a blank frame on the timeline . This behavior was not what happened previously when I have used TVPaint for video capture from my webcam. I'm trying to think when was the last time I used it for such a purpose ... maybe when I was still using Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan ? But I think I have used under 10.12 Sierra before and did not get this odd behavior where it will not capture a frame from the camera ,but only makes a blank frame.

This is definitely a TVPaint 11.0.8 bug because I still have TVPaint 10.5.7 installed and I just tried video input with TVPaint 10.5.7 . It works as expected .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Chlorid

Re: Video In for Stopmotion / Camera Connection

Post by Chlorid »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 15:57 This is definitely a TVPaint 11.0.8 bug because I still have TVPaint 10.5.7 installed and I just tried video input with TVPaint 10.5.7 . It works as expected .
On my old Macbook Pro with 10.11.6 El Capitan, I had the TVP 10.5.7 /64bits as well still installed, there i could see the inbuild camera. I couldn't connect any of the other cameras to use them. There are so many components, but i think that it is something with the TVPaint 11 too. Thank you for your answer!