Document files overtaking my desktop - are they needed?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
BruceM

Document files overtaking my desktop - are they needed?

Post by BruceM »

Okay, this question will expose me as a complete fool, but here goes; After working on a number of short scenes for a project, along with revisions, I've noticed that my desktop is getting filled up with document files that are labeled the same as my TVPaint project files. My actual project files are being saved to Dropbox, but for some reason these document files are going to my desktop.
My question is -- are these files important to keep, or are they tossable. I would prefer to throw them because there are so many, but if I do, will I still be able to work with the project files?

By the way, I'm working on an iMac.
Soom

Re: Document files overtaking my desktop - are they needed?

Post by Soom »

This is strange. One thing that pops in mind, is that these are duplicate backups of your projects, which are autosaved according to a setting you have in your prefs.
So: go to Edit>Preferences>Save tab, and check if Multi-Backup is eabled, and the directory in Multi-Backup Directory - my bet is that it is set to your desktop...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Soom wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 13:02This is strange. One thing that pops in mind, is that these are duplicate backups of your projects, which are autosaved according to a setting you have in your prefs.
So: go to Edit>Preferences>Save tab, and check if Multi-Backup is eabled, and the directory in Multi-Backup Directory - my bet is that it is set to your desktop...
That's what I would check as well.
The default setting for this option should be "Project's Save Directory"
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

Thanks Soom and Thierry! I checked in Preferences under the Save tab, and yes, it was set to my desktop. I've changed it to Projects Save Directory as you suggested, but out of curiosity, what does that mean? Where will these "documents" be sent to now?
Also, is it safe for me to dump all of the past Documents that were filling up my desktop, or are they needed for the old projects to open and work properly?
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

I've changed it to Projects Save Directory as you suggested, but out of curiosity, what does that mean? Where will these "documents" be sent to now?
It means that the backup files will be saved in the same folder as your project :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

Got it! Thanks Thierry!
As a follow up -- are these Documents needed for the project files to work properly? Or are they tossable?
Soom

Post by Soom »

BruceM wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 15:05 Got it! Thanks Thierry!
As a follow up -- are these Documents needed for the project files to work properly? Or are they tossable?
As I said already - these are just backup copies of your projects. These are simply TVPaint files, that you can open, in case something happens with the original files, that you are working on. The number of copies you set under Multi-Backup setting in Preferences. Whether you need them or not is entirely up to you! I personally don't save any backup files, because I have a Time Machine backup on an external HDD. I suppose if your project is finished, you can easily delete them.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

OK, got it!
Thanks Soom!